Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #106
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ;[URL="tel:18074824"
18074824[/URL]]Just outta' curiosity (because I'm runnin' the same rear tire)...

Average speed?

Tire pressure you were runnin'?

i was running speeds between 70-85 mph, 30 psi. i ran 70 miles round trip and then noticed the tearing and chunking. i also had no extra weight on the bike, just me (165 lbs). i'm going to continue riding on it for now but i will be contacting shinko soon.
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #107
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post
i was running speeds between 70-85 mph, 30 psi. i ran 70 miles round trip and then noticed the tearing and chunking. i also had no extra weight on the bike, just me (165 lbs). i'm going to continue riding on it for now but i will be contacting shinko soon.
I wouldn't expect any tire to withstand 70-85 mph with less than 36 psi. for long
Old 02-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #108
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjava View Post
I wouldn't expect any tire to withstand 70-85 mph with less than 36 psi. for long
I wouldn't expect my bike to withstand those speeds for long either
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #109
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
30psi at those speeds on blacktop will cause the rubber to get rather hot and super soft. I don't care if it's a Shinko, Metzler or Pirelli, that is just asking for tire failure.
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #110
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I wouldn't expect my bike to withstand those speeds for long either
hey my bike resembles that remark
Old 02-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #111
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,519
Quote:
i took a long ride on the interstate today and my shinko 700 is starting to have the center lugs seperate one is missing a chunk.

i know it's hard to see but the center lug between my sosn's fingers is seperating the worst and it has a chunk missing.

glad you made it home ALIVE!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #112
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
30psi at those speeds on blacktop will cause the rubber to get rather hot and super soft. I don't care if it's a Shinko, Metzler or Pirelli, that is just asking for tire failure.
Be sure to take in account the total weight that's on the tire. A 350lb DRZ with a 170lb rider doesn't need near the same pressures as a fully loaded, two up DL1K that weighs around 850lbs. I run alot of Shinkos on several different bikes and I would consider that 30psi plenty for a DRZ weight bike at those speeds IMO.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:37 AM   #113
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,411
Quote:
DSD, thanks for the post.

When I ride in the Texas Hill Country, I usually have to do about 50-70 miles of slabbing, just to get there. I find myself running between 70 and 80 MPH, very much like you. And, like you, I am running 30 lbs. in my rear tire.

When I read your intial post, I went and took a good look at my rear 700. All looks well. However, I only have about 500 miles on it. We'll see how it goes...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
Your posts made me think of something, that I have read on ADV, many times...

For the most part, every tire I have ever owned has had a sidewall marking that reads something like, "Max load-___pounds @ ___PSI cold".

I have always "tried" to keep my tire inflation below 90% of the above PSI number (to allow for expansion, from heat). So, for instance, my rear Shinko 700 reads, "Max load 677 pounds @ 33 PSI cold". Because of that, I would try not to inflate that tire to more than 30 lbs., cold (about 90%).

Yet, throughout the years, on ADV, I have heard many folks inflating similar tires to 36, 38, 40, and even 42 lbs.

Y'all wouldn't be concerned about putting 36 lbs. of pressure (or 38 or 40) in a tire that reaches it's max load rating at 33 lbs.? At what point is there a concern of rupture?

I'm not judging, or being critical...just curious.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 01:52 AM Reason: 'Cause I'm a dumbass...shitload of typos and bad punctuation.
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #114
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
I should come back here and Post.... keep in mi d my bike is the e model so its 250 lbs dry. I am also running the tubeless tire with a tube..... if that matters.

Last weekend I did the same ride again but farther and havent checked my tire pressure since before I made this post. I rode about 40-50 miles at 70-75 mph and then a buddy of mine had a bad crash while we were in the woods so I had to go get my jeep and trailer and rode about 70 miles home through gravel, rocks and mostly highway at 75-90 mph. The tire doesn't look like it got any worse. I was keeping a good eye on it throughout the day. I still havent contacted shinko.

Sent from my Motorola Photon using Tapatalk
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #115
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Your posts made me think of something, that I have read on ADV, many times...

For the most part, every tire I have ever owned has had a sidewall marking that reads something like, "Max load-___pounds @ ___PSI cold".

I have always "tried" to keep my tire inflation below 90% of the above PSI number (to allow for expansion, from heat). So, for instance, my rear Shinko 700 reads, "Max load 677 pounds @ 33 PSI cold". Because of that, I would try not to inflate that tire to more than 30 lbs., cold (about 90%).

Yet, throughout the years, on ADV, I have heard many folks inflating similar tires to 36, 38, 40, and even 42 lbs.

Y'all wouldn't be concerned about putting 36 lbs. of pressure (or 38 or 40) in a tire that reaches it's max load rating at 33 lbs.? At what point is there a concern of rupture?

I'm not judging, or being critical...just curious.

Hey, sometimes ya fell like a nut,,, sometimes ya don't. I'm one of the people that look at that "______ max load at ____ max psi" as a guide line. When I'm playing, off road or on, I generally run less pressure than the max listed on the sidewall as that usually gives better traction. But, at accelerated wear due to carcass flex and greater friction and yes, it can, possibly result in a very pissed off tire and I have had that happen, several times when heat caused chunking. That experience was just with the Shinko brand either. I've chunked Michelins, Kendas and Metzelers too.

On the other hand, I have wanted better tire life and I have run either the max pressure shown or the tire, or over time, I gradually raised it even higher a little at a time just experimenting and have discovered that even though I'm well over the manufacturer's recommendations, the sky didn't fall,,,,, the atmosphere didn't catch fire and no nuns nor kittens died. And in return for experimenting with those higher pressures {many would say more like gambling} I saw less traction but better tire life. Sometimes much better.

For example, I regularly run well over 45 psi in the rear tires of my DL or my FJR when on trips trying to get better tire life. I have run as high as 50 or so and yes,,,, I lived to tell the tale.

Seriously though,,,,, I always colored outside the lines, always took advice with a grain of salt and I usually didn't believe something unless I had first hand experience with it. Some people "leave it to the experts" and simply will not meander from the beaten path due to "safety}. Others look at the path as just a easy, idiot proofing means of getting somewhere intended for those that live in black and white in a Technicolor world and that's exactly why some choose to ride rather than drive. There are alot of roads that led to Rome, some are prettier than others, some are faster than others,,,,, many choices might not lead you down the right path. You have to figure out your route on your own based on your experiences, skills and ability to accept the unknown.

Thanks for not passing judgment on those that choose experimentation rather than blind adherence to the "experts".
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #116
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
I've been getting some advanced instruction of late & one of the things that has come up is tire size & pressures. Now, I have never been certain of how to gauge the correct pressure for different loading's.
The guy who has been teaching me has a wealth of experience & does huge mileages in all conditions, his rule of thumb is if when hot the tire pressure has increased by 4 psi or more it is to soft, conversely if it does not increase by more than 2 psi it is to hard. I'm not stating this as cast iron fact but it gives a reasonable gauge & food for thought, bearing in mind the mileage this guy does, his pace & the fact he really does not like wasting money.

Harvey Krumpet screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 01:51 PM Reason: dyslexia spurt.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #117
Cabrito
Terminal Lurker

Oddometer: 147
Well...

Went to ride to work this morning and spotted one of the lugs coming apart.
Tire is a Shinko E-705 Bias Ply manufacture date 24th week of 2011 (not radial) with 4100 miles on it. Tire was just about toast before I left on my last ride which was 516 miles last weekend with a mix of 65mph slab, goaty roads and dirt roads, and a few hundred miles on two lane highway 45-60mph. Running 36psi on the slab and 28psi off-pavement.

I decided not to ride to work on this tire. I think I'll go ahead and change it out with the new 705 I got last week. However.. I think these will be the last Shinko 705's that I run.

Cabrito screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 08:39 PM
Cabrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #118
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrito View Post
I decided not to ride to work on this tire. I think I'll go ahead and change it out with the new 705 I got last week. However.. I think these will be the last Shinko 705's that I run.
What bike?
Is the new 705 a radial?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #119
Cabrito
Terminal Lurker

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
What bike?
Is the new 705 a radial?
Not a radial - KLR650
Old 06-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #120
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrito View Post
Not a radial - KLR650
Wonder if over inflation could cause as many problems as under inflation?
It would focus the heat in a smaller area?

In Jan (middle of summer) I did a 2,300km, dirty long weekend and the rear was 8,000 km old when I started. 24psi on seal, 18psi off.

The DR clicked over 100,000km on the trip and about 30,000km of that has been on 705's.

Conditions varied from hot temps and seal to below freezing in a snow storm and scree slopes, rocky climbs and descents and lots of coarse gravel.

We don't get the extremes of ambient temps here though.

Actually, I'm not sure I've heard of anyone over here having a delaminating issue.
Yet.

A Fullbore clone will be my next rear on the DR as they're cheaper and I want to see how they go distance and grip wise compared to the 705's.