Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #136
baja-chris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hey guys, even though it's a race, this is a FUN rally and rest assured that if your idea of FUN is not using a roadbook, there will be a gps trail to follow (or if there is no gps for one special or two this year it will be real obvious where to go). We are not going to get anyone lost with tricky navigation, this year at least!

On the other hand, if your thing is Dakar prep or just the challenge of navigating at speed, then we will have a quality Dakar style roadbook and some special trophies for those who choose to do it without gps.

As far as the course, it's basically the same as the last two years on the first two days. Those maps are out there and I'd post them but they are in pdf and most websites won't let you post a pdf. PM me and I'll email them to you.

Now on the third day, the first special is the same as before but after that it's ALL NEW. The second special on day 3 will start south of Ciudad Constitution and head EAST past a historic mission to hit the Sea of Cortez at the top of the giant bay of La Paz. We will then run down the coast, along the top of the waters edge where a nice roost can drop rocks off the edge and into the sea below you. Heads up because the scenery is spectacular. The Special Stage (timed for speed) ends on the pavement and there is a transit stage into La Paz for the night (and the 3rd of four nightly social club gatherings and festivities).

The 4th day of the rally race starts with a transit south from La Paz to get clear of the population and onto some more fast dirt. There will be a single Special Stage of roughly 120 miles that ends right at the finish resort in San Jose del Cabo. This special starts out by heading out to the Pacific Ocean, then south into Todos Santos, crossing the highway and then south towards Cabo San Lucas. This section and most of this stage is fast smooth graded roads but twisty and lots of elevation changes though stream crossings and valleys with flowering vines and succulents growing on the cactus. It's green and it's incredible. But then we turn east again and climb up to 3000 ft to a high point where you can take in the vista that includes the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Cortez at the same time before the road snakes down into San Jose del Cabo. Most of you should finish by noon or early afternoon. We will have the party of all Baja parties waiting for you and will tabulate final results while you decompress poolside. Then that same day, late afternoon or early evening we will have the awards ceremonies. You don't want to miss it.

As far as fuel goes, the longest special is 175 miles. Mag 7 will have fuel stops setup for bikes and I'll see if I can get the locations for you to post here or feel free to contact them directly.

Oh and BTW, I'm releasing an update to the rule book this weekend that adds some Adventure Rider categories.

See you in Baja,
Chris Wilson
cwilson@norra.com
baja-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #137
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja-chris View Post
Hey guys, even though it's a race, this is a FUN rally and rest assured that if your idea of FUN is not using a roadbook, there will be a gps trail to follow (or if there is no gps for one special or two this year it will be real obvious where to go). We are not going to get anyone lost with tricky navigation, this year at least!

On the other hand, if your thing is Dakar prep or just the challenge of navigating at speed, then we will have a quality Dakar style roadbook and some special trophies for those who choose to do it without gps.

As far as the course, it's basically the same as the last two years on the first two days. Those maps are out there and I'd post them but they are in pdf and most websites won't let you post a pdf. PM me and I'll email them to you.

Now on the third day, the first special is the same as before but after that it's ALL NEW. The second special on day 3 will start south of Ciudad Constitution and head EAST past a historic mission to hit the Sea of Cortez at the top of the giant bay of La Paz. We will then run down the coast, along the top of the waters edge where a nice roost can drop rocks off the edge and into the sea below you. Heads up because the scenery is spectacular. The Special Stage (timed for speed) ends on the pavement and there is a transit stage into La Paz for the night (and the 3rd of four nightly social club gatherings and festivities).

The 4th day of the rally race starts with a transit south from La Paz to get clear of the population and onto some more fast dirt. There will be a single Special Stage of roughly 120 miles that ends right at the finish resort in San Jose del Cabo. This special starts out by heading out to the Pacific Ocean, then south into Todos Santos, crossing the highway and then south towards Cabo San Lucas. This section and most of this stage is fast smooth graded roads but twisty and lots of elevation changes though stream crossings and valleys with flowering vines and succulents growing on the cactus. It's green and it's incredible. But then we turn east again and climb up to 3000 ft to a high point where you can take in the vista that includes the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Cortez at the same time before the road snakes down into San Jose del Cabo. Most of you should finish by noon or early afternoon. We will have the party of all Baja parties waiting for you and will tabulate final results while you decompress poolside. Then that same day, late afternoon or early evening we will have the awards ceremonies. You don't want to miss it.

As far as fuel goes, the longest special is 175 miles. Mag 7 will have fuel stops setup for bikes and I'll see if I can get the locations for you to post here or feel free to contact them directly.

Oh and BTW, I'm releasing an update to the rule book this weekend that adds some Adventure Rider categories.

See you in Baja,
Chris Wilson
cwilson@norra.com

Thanks Chris, this sounds awesome!!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #138
baja-chris
Adventurer

For an idea as to what the terrain looks like, go to www.norra.com and watch the slide show. There are a lot of photos, old and new, and the new ones are represenative of the terrain we run. And that's me in the original 1968 Stroppe Bronco from 2010 , owned by Todd Zuetcher and Andrew Norton who will be running it this year - that truck overalled the 1000 in 69 (Larry Minor and Rod Hall), was the first truck to overall the 1000 and was the only 4x4 to ever overall it. She is still a sweetheart of a racer, and easily scoots down the track at well over 100mph with 6" of suspension.

NORRA today makes a point of laying out smooth easy tracks to encourage rally cars and vintage machines like that old Stroppe. This also helps with the fun factor since you cover miles quickly and don't tear up body and machine like you would in a traditional Baja race. If you run a modest pace and don't stop to lollygag, you should hit the finish each day in time for a cool beverage before sundown.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 AM   #139
decafe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280

chris could we get a list of hotel and dates for reservation thanks
decafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #140
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafe View Post
chris could we get a list of hotel and dates for reservation thanks
And are there any "group rate" deals for hotels?
Old 01-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #141
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:

See you in Baja,
Chris Wilson
cwilson@norra.com
Chris.
I think this tipped it in for me.
I am interested in doing this without GPS. Please put a post here notifying when you update the Rule Book.
Thanks!
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #142
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,280

Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #143
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334

The irony of picking up a new bike on the first real day of winter is not lost on me.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #144
baja-chris
Adventurer

The rule book update is now posted on www.norra.com and it lists two new categories for adventure riders both requiring 5 gal minimum size gas tanks. One category for 700cc and up, one of runder 700cc.

I have not seen the hotel list, let me dig into it and get it put up on our website. I don't know if we have any discount codes anywhere either. I'll find out. NORRA has booked ALL of the rooms in L.A. Bay the night the rally comes through (we went down and paid cash deposits and got receipts). A room will be made available for you to buy once your entry is paid in full, first come first choice, there are more people in that town race night than there are hotel rooms so we will have a large area near the beach for tents (bring your own) and RV's and will have a couple open rooms to be shared for access to bathrooms and showers, kind of like a Dakar style bivouac. The other stops should not be a problem with getting rooms.
Here is where you will be each night:
Night of April 28, Saturday - Mexicali
Night of April 29, Sunday - L.A. Bay
Night of April 30, Monday - Loreto
Night of May 1, Tuesday - La Paz
Night of May 2, Wednesday - San Jose del Cabo

Chris
Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #145
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,842
Thanks for updating Chris.
Question on NCR49 GPS Recorder.

Gan you give me an idea of the size/weight of the recorder?
Thanks

Quote:
The rule book update is now posted on www.norra.com and it lists two new categories for adventure riders both requiring 5 gal minimum size gas tanks. One category for 700cc and up, one of runder 700cc.

I have not seen the hotel list, let me dig into it and get it put up on our website. I don't know if we have any discount codes anywhere either. I'll find out. NORRA has booked ALL of the rooms in L.A. Bay the night the rally comes through (we went down and paid cash deposits and got receipts). A room will be made available for you to buy once your entry is paid in full, first come first choice, there are more people in that town race night than there are hotel rooms so we will have a large area near the beach for tents (bring your own) and RV's and will have a couple open rooms to be shared for access to bathrooms and showers, kind of like a Dakar style bivouac. The other stops should not be a problem with getting rooms.
Here is where you will be each night:
Night of April 28, Saturday - Mexicali
Night of April 29, Sunday - L.A. Bay
Night of April 30, Monday - Loreto
Night of May 1, Tuesday - La Paz
Night of May 2, Wednesday - San Jose del Cabo

Chris
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #146
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,652
This sounds like such an awesome event, and doing it with Tim/Baja Bound would be ideal.

It's too late in the day for me to get the time/$$ off to race it this year, but I am almost certainly going to put this on the front burner for the next race.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #147
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,810
I re watched "Dust to Glory" again last night. Can you tell I am excited to do this race
Old 01-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #148
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
I re watched "Dust to Glory" again last night. Can you tell I am excited to do this race
Rent Baja 1000 Classic from Netflix. It is the second running of the Mexican 1000 (1968).

It was filmed/directed by Bruce Brown for ABC's Wide World of Sports. Back when Americans gave a crap about moto-sports. Used to be on instant watch, but now has to be rented.

You may just see some vehicles in the film that might make an appearance in Mexicali at the race. The bike winners are who inspired me to enter last years race with a Honda 350 twin.

I tried to get NORRA interested in having Gary Preston come down for this year's race, but I think they already have some legends line-up

At least he signed my tank for me last year on my way through California...and gave me a few pointers..

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #149
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 698
Dust to Glory

Watched it again last night, can't wait to get down to Baja!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #150
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Watched it again last night, can't wait to get down to Baja!
I watched it again about a week ago. I watch it at least once a month though. Rick, you'll find it makes a lot more sense after you've been there.

102 Days!!

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote