Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 AM   #151
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,745
Will have to get my hands on that "Baja 1000 Classic" movie. I am not a netflix user but might just buy the DVD. I see Amazon has a box set with that and 2 of the directors other movies which could be good.

Will be really cool to see a lot of the vintage cars and bikes at the race.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #152
baja-chris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Some of you asked about hotels. NORRA is working on the hotel list and will have it out soon (a couple weeks or so) and hopefully with some discount codes.
baja-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #153
Racer20
East West Racing

Oddometer: 101
Yea it would be great to know a few hotels. would rather be in the same area as other riders.
Racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #154
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Yea it would be great to know a few hotels. would rather be in the same area as other riders.
And would be nice to be near the party each night

That is if I manage to finish each day in a good amount of time and with some energy left!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #155
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,826
In!!!

Team Rally Moto Kit sent deposit!
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #156
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
Team Rally Moto Kit sent deposit!

100 days...
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #157
decafe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
tires

any one use pirreli mt 21's trying to find a tire my rear rim is a 130 90 17 hard to find good tires for any ideas
decafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #158
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafe View Post
any one use pirreli mt 21's trying to find a tire my rear rim is a 130 90 17 hard to find good tires for any ideas
On hard packed stuff I like it, anything loose I absolutely hate the mt21 but mostly because the front wanders a lot. Might not be so bad with one just on the rear. They do wear pretty quickly though. I suspect your big bike would eat it pretty quickly on the rear.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #159
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafe View Post
I looked for a Dunlop 908 Rally Raid for you, but it doesn't come in 17. They have the 606, though. It is reputed to be long lasting and a popular choice among the dual sport crowd.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...tire.asp?id=14

I think you will want stiff side walls and longer lasting compounds. You are not likely to make the finish on one rear tire, though. Maybe oregoncoast can chime in with his tire experience last year.

Tires are probably a big issue for this event just to finish. Go all the way with a tire/combo that will last and eliminate flats; or something better but requires changing in the field. That probably means tubes.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #160
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,353
Kinda off topic: I'm very interested in trying this gig in my 67 Bronco, but I'm not sure it would pass tech.
Is there any way to have a rig inspected before plunking down the dough?

Edit: D606s are a great tire.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #161
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
Kinda off topic: I'm very interested in trying this gig in my 67 Bronco, but I'm not sure it would pass tech.
Is there any way to have a rig inspected before plunking down the dough?

Edit: D606s are a great tire.

http://norra.com/PDFs/NORRA_2011-15_Rules_V1_1.pdf

the really cool thing about rallies is they are very meticulous with publishing and handing out rules, maps and schedules and usually a rally guide.. (via SANDBLAST RALLY website..)

What is the Rally Guide?

This traditional FIA document is designed to help competitors plan their rally. At first glance, you might think of it as “The Supplemental Regulations” on steroids because it contains a lot of official information. Schedules, locations, services, and other necessary information is included in the Rally Guide. It is also the primary information source for service crews. It replaces what you might otherwise call the “Service Packet”. A closer look will show that it also contains a lot of unofficial information such as:
  • where the hotels are located and how to get the best deal on lodging;
  • where you can find a welder or other services;
  • what auto parts stores are open and their phone numbers; and,
  • what dining options are available at the service area.
and this is what the sandblast one is like..
http://sandblastrally.linaracing.com...y-Guide.v1.pdf

So.. check the rule book above but im sure you need a rollcage to conform and shoulder harnesses other than that... Im sure you could run the bronco but you need the wing to run it oly beer style!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #162
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I looked for a Dunlop 908 Rally Raid for you, but it doesn't come in 17. They have the 606, though. It is reputed to be long lasting and a popular choice among the dual sport crowd.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...tire.asp?id=14

I think you will want stiff side walls and longer lasting compounds. You are not likely to make the finish on one rear tire, though. Maybe oregoncoast can chime in with his tire experience last year.

Tires are probably a big issue for this event just to finish. Go all the way with a tire/combo that will last and eliminate flats; or something better but requires changing in the field. That probably means tubes.
As you all know, tires are like oil threads. I got a lot of flack from several Baja regulars for running what we did last year, yet it worked out fine for us. This year we are doing something different. Of course, isn't this a race?? Shouldn't I keep my strategy and techniques a secret like Despres??

Last year we ran Maxxis Desert IT's front and rear because I had used them a lot during training and other races and was very happy with their performance and price. I also ran the Tubliss tire system front and rear and Tyre Shield http://www.tyreshieldusa.com/ puncture protection in the bike and in the chase vehicle.

I absolutely love the Tubliss system and have used it for three years. However, there is a caveat, I only use it in the rear tire now. The benefits of running Tubliss are being able to run ridiculously low tire pressure without the risk of getting a pinch flat. And the ability to plug holes with a string plug like on a tubeless tire. In fact, I have been training on my old XR250R with zero air pressure in my rear tire and a Maxxis IT. That's right, no air in the tire, just the 100 psi in the Tubliss inner bladder.

However, my racing partner and co-rider this year, Luke, and I have both had several front flats running the Tubliss. We decided that front MX tires just aren't made for that type of duty and they just don't work very well. But neither one of us has ever had a rear Tubliss fail us yet.

In last years race, I ran the same set of tires for the whole race. But remember, my old Honda 350 is only putting out maybe 30 HP and I am not spinning the tires off the bike like you would on a 450X! We did get a puncture during either the last special on Day 3 or the final Transit on Day 3 coming into the finish in La Paz. I am not sure, because I did not know I had a puncture until enjoying a Tecate at the finish and someone mentioned it was flat. I looked over and could see Tyre Shield slowly oozing out of a large gash. However, the inner Tubliss bladder was still inflated, and I was still able to ride the 3 miles to the Hotel. So to me it was a success because thanks to the Tyre Shield and then the Tubliss, I was able to finish the race without fixing a flat (or even being aware I had a puncture).

This year, I believe we are going to go with mousse front and rear. Mostly this is because Luke has been testing/using mousse this year and so we now have personal experience with it. Depending on money, though, our spare wheels may have Tubliss installed since we already have them.

Most of the Baja guys will tell you they hate Tubliss, and that Mousse or HD tubes are the only way to go. One baja regular felt so strongly about this that they made a point of coming up to me at the start of the first special of the first day last year, looked down at my tires and proceeded to tell me how much they suck before walking away. That was nice of him. Very helpful.

I would not be interested in going with tubes, and our bike will not reach the speeds where mousse would really start to break down. So for me it would be either Mousse or Tubliss in the rear, and Mousse in the front.

Since it is advised to use the same brand mousse in the same brand tire, I will have to forego on my trusty Maxxis this year, but trust that whatever combo Luke comes up with, will be great and will get us across the finish line in San Jose del Cabo.

For the record, we had zero flats on the chase vehicle. I'll be running Tyre Shield again in my chase truck this year.

But of course, YMMV.

Oh yeah, we ran standard Dino 10W40 in the old girl last year, but may use a synthetic or blend this year and always lots of WD-40 on the chain
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #163
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,184
a mousse and some michellin desert's sound good
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #164
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
a mousse and some michellin desert's sound good
That's what we are thinking. Geez, I coulda just wrote that.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #165
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
That's what we are thinking. Geez, I coulda just wrote that.
they have only won like almost 30 Dakars..cant be all that bad
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote