Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #181
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Yep, though he says he "finished", the bike was on a trailer about 40% of the distance (part of day 1 and ALL of day 2). Then, to throw off the officials they brushed gasoline on the time card to smear the marked times so the missing day 2 times were not evident. When the officials questioned the unreadable time card he lied to them about what really happened, giving the diversion story about gasoline getting on it. He actually had the balls to scream and yell at the officials that they had competed the miles that were not readable on the time card. Though their bike build and the overall machine is really nice, their Mexican 1000 "finish" is not something a true racer would brag about. And the embellishment of their accomplishment (or leaving out of critical information) and lying to the officials to further their cause is downright embarrassing.
I was told that there was some, um colorful comments about me by HogWild and StrongBad, but I had no idea that they would actually be libelous.

Let's see here. First, I did finish the race and every aspect of our effort is completely documented in my thread. Including the fact that the bike broke down and was trailered into Bay of LA. It is also clearly documented that the bike was being welded and repaired on Day two and that we were lucky enough to be able to start Day 3. Which we rode the entire day.

This is the first I have ever heard of me screaming and yelling at any official and is simply not true (libel). In fact my experiences with all of the NORRA officials (and participants) was fantastic and I would like to hear who said that, because it certainly wasn't Michelle or anyone else in the Bivouac or starting/finish lines, we had great experiences with all of the NORRA people and nothing but positive interactions. This statement about me yelling and screaming at anyone simply did not happen and I would love to know where this information came from.

There was never any gas smeared on my time card (libel) and when the sticker was removed from the fender when I returned to Oregon it was legible. If you look at my time penalties, they show that I was given the maximum amount of time for the sections I came through late and the time sticker had missing spaces for the sections I did not even do on Day 2.

There was never any lying to any officials (libel) and once again, the entire effort was documented in our ADV thread warts and all. We self-depricatingly refer to us as "Class Winnners" while fully acknowledging that we were the only ones in our class to begin with, so even if we simply pushed our bike across the finish line, like you would like to accuse us of, we would have won our class. We were the oldest bike to enter this race and the oldest bike to cross the finish line.

I am not a Baja expert, nor have I ever claimed to be. HogWild and StrongBad are self-proclaimed experts and for some reason have issues with me, when in fact, the only time I met either of them was when StrongBad walked up to me at the start of the first special of the first day, and instead of welcoming me to Baja for the first time, he told me how much Tubliss sucked and then walked away. I have never met HogWild....but apparently he feels the need to slander me and my team here publicly. Everyone has a right to speak their mind, but making things up in an effort to damage someone's reputation is actually libelous...and since we do have sponsors that support us, I must take these attacks serious and look into them more closely. My family, friends and sponsors read this thread, and I am dumbfounded by these attacks from two men I don't even know.

Again, we are a bunch of regular guys who race to have fun and the Mexican 1000 attempt last year, and this year is all about fun for us. We had a great time and got along with everyone at the race. I am not sure why these personal attacks are occurring, but if anyone has any questions about our team or our experiences from last years race...simply ask in a pm, or better yet, just read our thread from last year. It is all there.

BTW, Jeff, thanks for asking about the tires, that worked out swell for us.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #182
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 697
Fun

OC, it's all about having fun and hanging with good people, and there are certainly a lot of great people to be found in all types of racing. This July will mark my 40th year of competition in motorcycles and cars, and while I have never been a "star", I have had tremendous experiences especially with my two wheeled brethren. It's easy to figure out who to hang with, just look for the pits that are full of smiling faces and avoid the pits that contain the lonely unfriendly types.

Can we get back to having fun now?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #183
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
[QUOTE=oregoncoast;17850296]I was told that there was some, um colorful comments about me by HogWild and StrongBad

Hi Paul,

Interesting turn of events. I have read every word you wrote and talked face to face with you and at no time have you denied that you got a lift when the bike broke down.

Dave Armstrong
President
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts Seattle
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #184
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
in fact, the only time I met either of them was when StrongBad walked up to me at the start of the first special of the first day, and instead of welcoming me to Baja for the first time, he told me how much Tubliss sucked and then walked away.
I'm the kind of guy who goes out of his way to search others out while in tech and at the start to say howdy to other racers. I searched you guys out at tech inspection, introduced myself and was given the cold shoulder so I walked away (it was over 100 degrees no reason to hang around). I never spoke to any of you guys about tires or tubes (or lack of) while in Baja. So you obviously have me confused with someone else. Do you think I would walk around in the heat to find you and give you a hard time about inner tubes? Really?? I also sought you guys out at the start line as I walked through all of the competitors to wish you luck and again was given the cold shoulder. Others I've spoken to who sometimes post here (more than one guy BTW) got the same treatment from you guys in Baja.

Pushing all of that apparent personality conflict aside, putting the bike on the trailer for 40% of the event (not riding at all on the 2nd day) is NOT finishing. That is all I'm talking about, I would have the same attitude towards anyone claiming that to be a finish. To do so is an insult to those who have have their act together enough to actually go the distance. Think of it like a marathon runner who go a ride in the middle of the race for 40%, but then thinking it's ok he got a time penalty. Simply not the same as running the entire distance. Having your act together to pull off a finish includes all aspects of racing the vehicle like support being where they need to be, timely repairs, and having the parts to repair if needed.

There were plenty of really great racers at the NORRA Mexican 1000, plenty of old friends and lots of new friends, that is why this is the best race of the year.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #185
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,550
I want to apologize to oregoncoast and his team. It was apparently the other Honda twin that had the argument with the official and gas on time card issue. I was unaware there were two such bikes in the race. BIG mistake on my part, and stupid of me to post something like that without triple checking! I've asked the moderator to clean up the mess I made. Also, sorry to everyone here that I made a mess of an otherwise great thread. I learned a lesson on this one. Best of luck to Outta Sight Racing, and ten rounds of beer are on me for all you guys if I make it down for the race!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #186
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,269
so .. we in both instances have bad info or miscommunication.. or un-clearness...

So it looks like we need a big party in Bay of LA !!

can almost taste fish tacos already...

Peace man...

99 days ..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #187
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

LEGEND WALKER EVANS FIRST TO REGISTER FOR 2012 MEXICAN 1000!
-- Entries Surge to New Pre-Event Record --
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

EMAIL:

Walker Evans and his famous Cass 8 Dodge will highlight this year's NORRA Mexican 1000
Photo by Art Eugenio

January 26, 2012: With its dates and rally format firmly solidified, the National Off Road Racing Association (NORRA) opened online registration to all participants for the 2012 Mexican 1000 on New Year’s Day. Since then rally registrations have surged to new pre-event levels. While there are still over three months left before teams converge at the historic bullring in Mexicali, Baja, Mexico for pre-rally technical inspections and an opening night “Welcome Fiesta and Driver’s Meeting,” nearly three dozen teams have already added their names to what should be a record year for the unique four-day competition.
The first three entries came from enthusiastic rally veterans Walker Evans, Michael Gaughan and Butch Jensen. Additional entries arrived courtesy of veterans Brian Collins, Mark Post and Mark Stahl. It is expected that two-time rally winner Bob Gordon will join Malcolm Smith, Bud Feldkamp, Frank “Butch” Arciero Jr., Larry Roeseler, Don Adams, Dave Westhem, Randy Salmont and many others making plans for the journey down the Baja peninsula this April 28 - May 2, 2012.
Evans, an iconic figure in the world of off-road motorsports, will return with his famous Dodge Class 8 pick-up truck that took him to so many victories in the 1980s. At last year’s Mexican 1000 a mechanical issue forced him to retire on Day 2 just outside of beautiful Bahia De Los Angeles, but the beloved racer is looking forward to his return to this vintage-flavored event.
“Well, here is the real story,” explained Evans, who entered his first NORRA Mexican 1000 back in 1969. “I love Mexico. I love everything about the place. I am at the age and at the time of my life when I want to give something back to the place that has given me so much. The new NORRA Mexican 1000 is the perfect way to do that; four fun-filled days of seeing that beautiful peninsula while having time to visit with old friends and locals. It’s the most fun you can have, and I intend to have a good time, I can tell you that!”

Dave Westhem, Randy Selmont and their ex-factory GMC Class 8 are expected to return for the 2012 Mexican 1000
While still a competitively timed event, all entries will enjoy the same course, beautiful Baja scenery and group festivities. In addition, the NORRA organization is said to be working to greatly enhance participant safety, media coverage and one of the Mexican 1000’s most distinguishing elements – the rally’s camaraderie, hospitality and most important of all, fun.
Already gaining a reputation for bringing fun and a shared sense of adventure back to Baja off-road racing, the one-of-a-kind, once-a-year rally spotlights vintage off-road vehicles, motorcycles and ATVs, as well as rally cars, a limited number of modern desert racecars and classes for prerunner-type trucks and buggies. The four-day rally will offer teams high-speed off-road driving with unparalleled views of Mexico’s scenic Baja peninsula, as well as offering new levels of the hospitality and social camaraderie that is the heart of the Mexican 1000 experience.
FIRST 30 ENTRIES FOR THE 2012 MEXICAN 1000
Entry/SortAssigned Entry NumberFirst NameLast NameCategory
120R.WalkerEvansVF
221MichaelGaughanVF
3462CalvinJensenEO
422BrianCollinsVF
512PaulFournierMG
63MarkPostVA
7800MarkStahlVH
823KarenSanchezVA
935BenjaminGreenwoodMA
1028SeanDuffyVJ
11332ChristopherSullivanVJ
1246DaveSykesVF
1330RobertHowleVA
1438BobLandEK
1537EdwardBaconVJ
1610TheodoreSumnerVH
172000JohnYeiserEP
1855CameronThieriotEP
19818JohnOmartianVB
2042DouglasChapmanMB
2166GlennStraightgiffEL
2256ToddZuercherVJ
235GusHolcombMB
24568ArmandoGuzmanVC
2540RonLandakerVA
26720MichaelColemanVA
27484JesseDaltonMA
28-- GaryDixonVC
2985JoeBlackEA
30902RussellThompsonVA
ABOUT NORRA
Dubbed the “Happiest Race on Earth,” by Dirt Sports magazine, the unique off-road rally was co-created by promoter Mike Pearlman in 2010. The one-of-a-kind, once-a-year, four-day rally includes vintage off-road vehicles and motorcycles, rally cars, a limited number of modern desert racecars and classes for prerunner trucks and buggies. Pearlman’s late father Ed and others established the first running of the NORRA Mexican 1000 off-road rally in November of 1967, which eventually became internationally recognized and evolved into the Baja 1000 in the mid-1970s.
Registration is now open to automobiles and motorcycles that meet basic safety standards as outlined the new NORRA rulebook (currently available at the www.mexican1000.website. Although the spotlight will remain squarely on vintage machinery, NORRA has added several new categories for modern and vintage rally cars as well as some for modern desert racing machinery, 4x4s, dune buggies, and ATVs and motorcycles of all types and ages. Each day of the rally consists of special stages (unlimited speed timed stages in the dirt) linked together by controlled speed liaison / transit sections (highway).
For more information, please visit www.mexican100.com
Download this press release in PDF format
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 01-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #188
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

now im just padding my post count and trying to get to a new page ...

BTW... whom ever can guess this spot will win a cold cerveza

wrk2surf screwed with this post 01-27-2012 at 11:08 PM
Old 01-28-2012, 04:14 AM   #189
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,810
wrk2surf,

My guess is Bay of L.A. but purely a guess since I have never been to Baja. That will be resolved in 98 days
Old 01-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #190
decafe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
My last trip to mexico 1990 and ended with a ride in a police car to tj border to atm machine so i could get money to bail out my friends . as soon as fine was paid they were free to go and i am looking forward to going back ?
decafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #191
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafe View Post
My last trip to mexico 1990 and ended with a ride in a police car to tj border to atm machine so i could get money to bail out my friends . as soon as fine was paid they were free to go and i am looking forward to going back ?
Nobody is making you go?
Sorry you had a bad experience.

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #192
Racer20
East West Racing

Oddometer: 101
WOW guys, this went from a great informational thread to something not so interesting... Lets get back on track and talk about this great race we are all looking forward to so much. Well at least I am..
Racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #193
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
now im just padding my post count and trying to get to a new page ...

BTW... whom ever can guess this spot will win a cold cerveza

The Bay of LA, across from the Costa Del Sol hotel, (the arches on the other side of the jetty).
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #194
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Drc wins a tecate with lime and salt..

the hills southwest of bay of LA are coverered with Mtn Goats and cave art.. and my right achilles tendon and ankle that worked great were left between mision san Borja and bay of LA road... on my last trip to Baja 4 years ago..

(pre injury by about an hour)

I have some ghosts to exercize in Baja Sur... I absolutely love the baja and have traveled to surf often down there.. not much time spent on the bay side though... Punta Chavato is a fave over there..

starting monday I plan to take my slightly crashed 640 down to the frame and do a rehab.. dial in the roadbook and speedo... I hope to have the bike fully ready to race within two months leaving the final month open for working, planning and packing.. after all I plan to do both this race and Ironman the silverstate 300 a week later on the same bike.. hoping I can afford them both.. 1300 + miles of racing in one week ... I will have a busy end of april -first of may I hope!

here is some simple spanish for the racer... stolen for IVAN on Offroad.org

-Where can I get beer? ------ > Donde venden cerveza?
-Where can I get gas? -------- > Donde venden gasolina?

There, with those 2 you can make it all the way to Cabo and back; unless you have an “issue”. In that case you could need food, oil, a tire repair shop, radiator water or (hopefully never) medical attention.

- Where is a store/market? ----------------------------- > Donde hay una tienda/mercado?
- Do you have oil for the engine /tranny? ------------- > Tienen aceite para motor/transmision?
- I’ve got a flat. ------------------------------------------ > Me ponche
- Where is a tire shop? ---------------------------------- > Donde hay una llantera?
- I need radiator water ---------------------------------- > Necesito agua para el radiador
- Where is a doctor / pharmacy ----------------------- > Donde hay un doctor / farmacia?

On a more specific situation, let’s say you are riding your dirt bike hit a rock and get a flat, then you’ll need to ask for a tube, patch kit, tire irons…

Parts:
• Bearing --------------------------------------- > Balero
• Carb ------------------------------------------ > Carburador
• Carb jet -------------------------------------- > Esprea
• Chain ----------------------------------------- > Cadena
• Fender ---------------------------------------- > Guardafango
• Fuse ------------------------------------------- > Fusible
• Light bulb ------------------------------------- > Foco
• Master link ----------------------------------- > Candado para la cadena
• Handlebar ------------------------------------ > Cuernos
• Hose ------------------------------------------ > Manguera
• Needle ---------------------------------------- > Aguja
• Rim ------------------------------------------- > Rin
• Shift / Brake / clutch levers ---------------- > Palanca de cambios / freno / clutch
• Spark plug ----------------------------------- > Bujia
• Spoke ---------------------------------------- > Rayo
• Tire ------------------------------------------- > Llanta
• Tube ------------------------------------------ > Tubo/cámara
• Tube valve ----------------------------------- > Pivote
• Voltage regulator ---------------------------- > Regulador de voltaje
• Wheel ----------------------------------------- > Rueda

Tools:
• Allen wrench --------------------------------- > Llave ele
• Chain breaker ------------------------------- > Corta cadenas
• Pliers ----------------------------------------- > Pinzas
• Ratchet --------------------------------------- > Ratchet
• Screwdriver flat/Phillips --------------------- > Desarmador de paleta/estrella
• Socket ---------------------------------------- > Dado
• Spark plug socket --------------------------- > Saca bujia
• Tire irons ------------------------------------- > Espátulas / paletas para la llanta
• Vise grips ------------------------------------ > Pinzas perras
• Wrench --------------------------------------- > Llave

Miscellaneous:
• Duct tape --------------- > Tape gris “or” duct tape
• Electrical cable ----------> Cable electrico
• Electrical tape -----------> Tape negro
• J&B Weld ---------------- > Jota-be weld “or” soldadura liquida “or” pegamento epoxico
• Knife -------------------- > Navaja / cuchillo
• Safety wire ------------- > Alambre acerado
• TP ----------------------- > Papel higienico
• Zip ties------------------ > Cincho

• Do you have tubes for the bike? ---------- > Tienen tubos para la llanta de la moto?
• Where could I get it? ----------------------- > Donde lo podré conseguir?
• Do you have a patch kit? ------------------ > Tienen parches?
• Can I borrow tire irons? ------- > Me prestas las espátulas / paletas para las llantas?

Or a worst case scenario, your bike leaves you stranded in the middle of somewhere and you need to get someone to help you go get it. You’ll need to say if it is in a sandwash, in the top of a hill or in the middle of a meadow

• Creek ------------------------------------- > Arroyo
• Canyon ----------------------------------- > Cañon
• Fire road ------------------------ --------- > Camino revestido
• Hill ---------------------------------------- > Cerro
• Meadow ---------------------------------- > Prado
• Mud --------------------------------------- > Lodo
• Road -------------------------------------- > Camino
• Sandwash -------------------------------- > Arenal
• Silt bed ----------------------------------- > Talcal

Found a video from last year that getting me excited already...

98 days and counting..

wrk2surf screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 11:15 PM
Old 01-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #195
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,428
Nice stuff wrk2surf!!

Especially appreciate the Spanish tips! Some really pertinent info. Thanks.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote