Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
1 day till registration I am very excited happy new years guys
decafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:29 AM   #17
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,828
Yeah, Dakar has me thinking about this more and more. My only concern is the logistics. Does the organization carry any equipment for you? Also, anybody know if there is an easy way to get myself and the bike back to Mexicali? (other than the obvious way of just riding back that is!).

Just wondering if it is even possible to do this by myself where I unload bike+gear in Mexicali and leave the van there.

Anybody here have a support truck that has room to handle 1 more bike (most importantly on the return back north) and wants to split expenses a bit more?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #18
decafe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Ill pm you with more info but there is a group comming down from ct who might have more room . i plan on flying to tuscon and then fly home from cabo we still have to figure out cost but as with everything the more people involed brings down the cost
decafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #19
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,458
How many of you have been down to lands end?

We are heading to Cabo !

2012 Mexican 1000 Registration Information
Early Registration and Membership Fees
$1967 – Vintage, Rally Car and Evolution categories (per vehicle)
$1600 – Motorcycle and ATV categories (per vehicle)
$75 – Membership fee (per person)
$100 – Late Registration fee for entries not paid in full by April 15, 2012
The registration fee includes any NORRA mandated GPS data logging equipment as well as any NORRA mandated technical inspections.
Starting positions for this event will be based upon registration date/time, by category.
There is no limit to the number of co-drivers or co-riders on a team, however the membership fee must be paid for each person. Membership packages (including cool NORRA swag) will be mailed out to each paid member prior to the event. NORRA memberships expire December 31, all returning 2011 competitors must renew the registration.
Payment Terms
A $750 deposit is required to open your entry and lock in your starting position. In the event the payment is rejected, the entry will be voided and the starting position forfeited.
The balance of the payment is due on March 1, 2012. Failure to pay the full balance on time, will result in forfeiture of your starting position however the entry remains in effect. In this case, your starting position will be re-assigned when the balance is paid in full.
Hotel rooms in Bahia de Los Angeles
Due to limited availability, NORRA has booked all rooms in Bahia de Los Angeles for this event. One room per entry will be made available for the team to pay for once the registration is paid in full. We do not expect to have unused rooms, however in the unlikely event that we do, they will be made available on April 15, 2012. NORRA will have a large area by the beach, in town, for tent camping and RV parking. We will provide two open hotel rooms for this area that are to be used as bathrooms and showers for campers. Teams are encouraged to bring tents, RV’s and positive attitudes to make the most of the situation. NORRA will provide hospitality and make every effort to make this a pleasant and memorable experience.
Team Numbers
Team numbers do not indicate starting position, however we will grant requests for specific numbers at the time registration is paid, on a first come, first assigned basis.
Advance Wristbands
For competitors who will not be in Mexicali on April 28, arrangements may be made to FedEx notarized liability release forms to the race office along with a prepaid Fed Ex shipper so that your wristband can be sent to you prior to the event.
Event Calendar
Jan 1, 2012 – Registration opens for all competitors
Mar 1, 2012 – Full payment due from those who paid a deposit
April 15, 2012 – Early registration closes and any remaining rooms in LA Bay are released to teams. Entries not paid in full by this date will be subjected to a $100 late registration fee.
April 28, 2012 – Sign in, technical and safety inspection, vintage category impound (car show) and autograph session in the bull ring in Mexicali. Vintage cars will be released from impound in the late afternoon (Vintage impound is a mandatory media event for entries in the Vintage categories). All competitors must sign the release of liability in order to receive the wristband. Wristbands must be shown at the start of each Special Stage throughout the event.
April 29, 2012 – Mexicali to Bahia de Los Angeles
April 30, 2012 – Bahia de Los Angeles to Loreto
May 1, 2012 – Loreto to La Paz
May 2, 2012, La Paz to San Jose del Cabo. Awards ceremony will follow that afternoon/evening at the Cabo Azul Resort in San Jose del Cabo.
Information Required to Register
In order to register your entry, you will need to have your personal and emergency information as well as vehicle details and credit card information, including billing address. For each co-driver and rider you will need to have name, email address and phone.

always wanted to ride a dirtbike to the office..

Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,456
Registered..

Well, I pre-registered last night!! The organization of this year's rally is not as good as last year, to say the least.

It is awesome to see the interest in this rally grow...unfortunately, so did the price By about $400 bucks! Still, for 4-5 day event, not that bad.

This is going to be a fun event!!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #21
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,047
Got the word last week we are going to attempt a "Threepeat" with Bob Gordon's Yota powered Chenworth known as "Betsy"!!!! Bob Gordon, Tim Crabtree, & Ryan Arciero are the drivers. Last year I got to be Ryan's co-driver from Santa Ignacio to Loreto. If I'm lucky, I can get in again this year. It is the best race of the year!!

The official sticker from the first race:

Pic of Betsy:

Old 01-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #22
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,458
radio spot now on San Diego radio kcbq !

http://den-a.plr.liquidcompass.net/p...KCBQAM&uid=149

(review)
They plan to stay on the bayside, the course will remain the same but will be actually a 4 day finishing in San Jose Del Cabo (north of cabo) where the airport is, they also have some phone numbers to call on the website if you have ANY questions.
NATIONAL OFF ROAD
RACING ASSOCIATION

11650 Darling Road
Agua Dulce, CA 91390
Phone/Fax: 661-262-7171
Toll Free: 855-625-0030

Since it is a full peninsula run your chase team will be driving the whole way down to cabo.. it is a long but awsome drive that I have done once and wont forget ...Bring a well maintained truck with a couple spare tires the main roads/freeways are as good as the US..there are no waves in the sea of Cortez so dont bother bringing a surfboard ! Dont forget to get a passport !!
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 11:02 AM
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #23
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post

We should actually try to start a Facebook page for all the Advrider racers to team up on. We can get to know each other and offer/provide assistance to each other. Let me know if you guys are interested I will take care of that..

Hell, me and a buddy may do it with minimum assistance and ride the whole enchilada !
Do it.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #24
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post

We should actually try to start a Facebook page for all the Advrider racers to team up on. We can get to know each other and offer/provide assistance to each other. Let me know if you guys are interested I will take care of that..

Hell, me and a buddy may do it with minimum assistance and ride the whole enchilada !
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Thanks to those of you who have PM'ed and emailed me about info on potential help. Now that the holiday craziness is over I am seriously looking into this and starting to contact people.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #25
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Motorcycle Class Structure

What do you guys think about the change in class structure for the modern class bikes (MA) from '89-current to '85-current? I would think this alienates a lot of guys looking to run the XR600 in a Vintage class.

MX

MA
Classes

1985+, open
MB1985+, 250cc 2-s/400cc 4-s
MC1985+, 125cc 2-s/150cc 4-s
MD1976-1984, open
ME1976-1984, 250cc 2-s/400cc 4-s
MF1975 and older, open
MG1975 and older, 250cc 2-s/400cc 4-s
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #26
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Alternative fuels

I had though that this year the Mexican 1000 was going to allow regular fuel in modern vehicles. Is that the case? According to the norra web site it stil show we need to run alternative fuels:

Quote:
What vehicles are eligible? Specific NORRA vehicle eligibility is fully detailed in the NORRA Rule Set. Eligible vehicles are separated into two main groupings; Vintage and Alternative Fuel. Vintage vehicles are pre 1989. Some of the vintage classes will be further segregated by technology breakpoints to keep consistency of like vehicles competing against like vehicles. Alternative Fuel Vehicles are OPEN CLASS Vehicles running a fuel other than traditional racing fuel or pump gas.
Of course it also says 1989 when other rules say 1985 so perhaps the FAQ page is just out of date?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #27
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

The alternative class was last year. This year they did open it up to all years, no ethanol needed.

And honestly, a 1985 XR600 is essentially a modern bike - tons of power, a foot of travel front and rear, One could easily and cheaply turn an 85 into a bike that is competitive with any modern bike. I'm actually glad they did that, but I'm running a 72.

I think the 76-84 is appropriate for evolution bikes.

And it seems that there are no restrictions on mods to the bikes, so mod away.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #28
stuckthrottle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
The alternative class was last year. This year they did open it up to all years, no ethanol needed.

And honestly, a 1985 XR600 is essentially a modern bike - tons of power, a foot of travel front and rear, One could easily and cheaply turn an 85 into a bike that is competitive with any modern bike. I'm actually glad they did that, but I'm running a 72.

Wasn't '85 the last year for rear drums on the XR as well as some other bikes?
IIRC, the '86 XR600 saw disk brakes front and back and back to the single carb.

IMO it should be 76-85 for evo bikes, solely based on the XR.
stuckthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #29
Racer20
East West Racing

Oddometer: 102
Things are moving forward for us here in CT as well. Looks like 2 teams and hopefully at least 1 more to make the ride from the east coast. Long drive but if get enough interest should be a great time. Anyone else interested in transport for their bike along the drive west, shoot me a PM.
Racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #30
baja-chris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post

Hi guys, I'm the one to blame for the new rules. This quoted post sums up what I was thinking with regard to the year cut offs. I think breaking them out by decade or some arbitrary year made less sense than attempting to break them out by fundamental performance capabilitites. Right or wrong, it's what I have for this year. There is no perfect way to group vinatge anything since each year the new bikes get a little better. I'm open to change for 2013 if the 2012 grouping does not work out for most riders.

Speaking of 2012, at the suggestion of one of you guys I am going to add some Adventrue Bike classes and would like your feedback. Thinking of adding two Adv classes, both requiring a 5 gal min sized tank. One for 700cc and up, the other for 699cc and under. Should there be three displacements for 5gal gas adv bikes? Dumb idea? Love it?

Regards, and hoping I don't get beat up too bad for sticking my nose under this tent,
Chris Wilson
NORRA
baja-chris is offline   Reply With Quote