Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #676
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
My interpretation of the diagram would be the path splits and you can do either left or right and the paths then rejoin.
There are several "either way" spots in the roadbooks. For those, the diagram shows a single bubble and arrow, with left and right path between them. I put those in so you might use them to pass someone that you've been stuck in the dust behind. There are also a couple of places where I saw a shortcut across a turn, and I put a comment about the optional shortcut in the roadbook. They are pertty rough spots, so don't take one of those shortcuts at speed! You might gain 5 seconds with those shortcuts, . . . or crash.
HogWild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #677
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
WHAT is with the , in Miles ??

should it not be (35.62 )
The world is a big, interesting place, isn't it?

1 234.56
1'234.56
1 234,56
1,234/56
1 234-56

are all valid ways... depending where you are. And there's probably more. Scroll down a little on this page for who uses what.

Anders
Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #678
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Would anyone be interested in some posters of the routes for each day? The quality is really good, what you might expect from a poster shop. Day 1, Day 2 and day 3+4, 18 X 24, ready for a poster frame.

Attached Images

Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #679
juice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
So, I have a dumb new guy question. Since all the transits are on the road is it best to run my bike plated? Or is it ok not to have things legal since it is an organized event?
juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #680
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Would anyone be interested in some posters of the routes for each day? The quality is really good, what you might expect from a poster shop. Day 1, Day 2 and day 3+4, 18 X 24, ready for a poster frame.
Yes please!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #681
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,917
Quote:

I wouldn't mind one of each.....
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #682
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice View Post
So, I have a dumb new guy question. Since all the transits are on the road is it best to run my bike plated? Or is it ok not to have things legal since it is an organized event?
I commented a while back about "legal" and not. It's sometimes a matter of who decides to crash the party, but there are find of guys and groups that ride down here every year on non plated bikes.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #683
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
The road legality of the vehicle is not addressed in the rule book. To me, this means two things:

1) NORRA probably isn't going to check it at registration or tech inspection.
2) NORRA hasn't organized special exemptions for you to run on the highway with a non-plated vehicle.

So, is it "best" to run your bike plated? Yes. You could be stopped on a highway, or even just going around the corner in town, and it would be better to have paperwork.

Like beechum1 says, I'm sure they're are guys that do it without. But I also know I pass guys on my way to work here in 'Merica who have no insurance and expired registration too. ;)

Anders
Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #684
Racer20
East West Racing

Oddometer: 101
Quote:

Looks cool, interested.
Racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #685
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
I have put in many highway miles in Baja on my YZ125 while pre-running. No problems. I once had the military personel at the check point north of Santo Tomas ask me to do some wheelies for them when I passed through. My race bike isn't plated either and it hasn't been an issue. Does it mean it's legal? No, but for the most part they don't seem to care one way or the other, just don't be exceptionaly stupid while doing it.
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #686
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZJohn View Post
I have put in many highway miles in Baja on my YZ125 while pre-running. No problems. I once had the military personel at the check point north of Santo Tomas ask me to do some wheelies for them when I passed through. My race bike isn't plated either and it hasn't been an issue. Does it mean it's legal? No, but for the most part they don't seem to care one way or the other, just don't be exceptionaly stupid while doing it.
So "exceptionally stupid" is something beyond wheelies through the military checkpoint?
:lol
Great story. Nice to know the Mexican government doesn't have a stick up their a** like in the us.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #687
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
So "exceptionally stupid" is something beyond wheelies through the military checkpoint?
:lol
Great story. Nice to know the Mexican government doesn't have a stick up their a** like in the us.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
I think it's important to mention that while the military guys may not mind that, the local police will jump at the opportunity to collect a "fine" for this type of behavior. DAMHIN
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #688
HalfFast
Double Secret Pit Ninja

Oddometer: 251
Quote:

Sign me up. I want a set for the man cave!

2012 2nd place NORRA Mexican 1000
2013 1st place NORRA Mexican 1000
HalfFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #689
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Remember, the wheelies were gov authorized LOL! True about the local Policia. They wont miss a chance to "profit" from a tourist. On the way down to La Paz in 2010, my brother drove the motorhome all the way down and was stopped by local cops in several small towns for "speeding". First they asked for T-shirts, when we didn't have any they fined him for the speeding infraction. Having 100 T-shirts made up would have been cheeper than the fines.
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #690
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

I tell them I'm not going to pay them. it's worked all but one time out of about 10.