Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012, 02:04 AM   #76
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post

We should actually try to start a Facebook page for all the Advrider racers to team up on. We can get to know each other and offer/provide assistance to each other. Let me know if you guys are interested I will take care of that..

Hell, me and a buddy may do it with minimum assistance and ride the whole enchilada !
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Thanks to those of you who have PM'ed and emailed me about info on potential help. Now that the holiday craziness is over I am seriously looking into this and starting to contact people.
OK guys I have started it and it can be liked here...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...99157340130773
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #77
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
WE will be racing a trio of KTM 640 ADV's.
one rider per bike!!!!

PS = make it more like a Rally.,.. Road book !!!!!
with a little GPS.
If people want to race a Score type race then go Race SCORE>
With my buddy and I that will be 5 lc4's!
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #78
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

.................................................. ....................................

This is our FB page for the racers/pit support to get to know one another
Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #79
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
This is our FB page for the racers/pit support to get to know one another
Cool !
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #80
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,452
new thread

Got our new thread up:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post17728819

I look forward to seeing everyone else's!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #81
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Just heard that NORRA is looking for some places along the course where some navigation challenges can be added in to keep the Baja vets and GPS followers on their toes. They want accurate roadbook navigation to be more serious than it has been in the past. Those who just want to fun ride/drive from bivouac to bivouac can still do that. Those who want to compete for a top position will have to take the rally navigation challenge seriously.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #82
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Just heard that NORRA is looking for some places along the course where some navigation challenges can be added in to keep the Baja vets and GPS followers on their toes. They want accurate roadbook navigation to be more serious than it has been in the past. Those who just want to fun ride/drive from bivouac to bivouac can still do that. Those who want to compete for a top position will have to take the rally navigation challenge seriously.
Sounds good.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #83
fredbenz
2 wheel adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Any comment on the amount of deep sand and silt encountered last year? Neither is my favorite of surfaces and the more of them the lighter the bike I want to be on...

Also, kudo's on the thread you've started...http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post17728819. For those who haven't checked it out, you should do so. Very impressed with the preparation and commitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
All the fun they said...but for real that 450EXC with a desert tank would be the ticket.....invest in a nice seat.

The one thing that all of the other bikers said at the finish in La Paz last year was that they loved my seat. My SL had a gigantic seat!! ADV FF Radioman shaped the seat for me, and I had a local upholstered it for me....I call it the Radioman Couch!

I fully expect to see all of the guys returning from last year with big fat pillow seats on their XR's and CRF's!!

Don't laugh....heed my advice, and you will thank me in Cabo.
'04 KTM 200 EXC
fredbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #84
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Sweet! Very excited to try this. I ordered a roadbook holder from www.rallymanagementservices.com the other day, so now I just need to figure out how to read a roadbook

I have read a lot about how roadbook navigation works so I have some idea, but I am sure I will have issues once I actually try to put that into practice.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #85
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Sweet! Very excited to try this. I ordered a roadbook holder from www.rallymanagementservices.com the other day, so now I just need to figure out how to read a roadbook

I have read a lot about how roadbook navigation works so I have some idea, but I am sure I will have issues once I actually try to put that into practice.
It's really quite easy. When your odometer matches the mileage in a roadbook entry (the big number on the left), do what the arrow and text say beside that mileage number. Of course it helps to have an adjustable odometer like an ICO so you can tweak the mileage on it so its matching the roadbook. Figuring out the rest is just icing on the cake. The Jimmy Lewis school would put you at the front in navigation skills.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #86
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
It's really quite easy. When your odometer matches the mileage in a roadbook entry (the big number on the left), do what the arrow and text say beside that mileage number. Of course it helps to have an adjustable odometer like an ICO so you can tweak the mileage on it so its matching the roadbook. Figuring out the rest is just icing on the cake. The Jimmy Lewis school would put you at the front in navigation skills.
I ordered an ICO along with the roadbook from RMS so should be good to go there. Been hoping to do Jimmy's training but sounds like that might actually be the same weekend as the Mexican 1000. Might be the week after though and I am looking into figuring out logistics on how I could just take a really long vacation and do both.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #87
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Everybody have their passports.. so their paperwork is in order? ..

wrk2surf screwed with this post 01-12-2012 at 09:56 PM
Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #88
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
[
Paseporte? We don't need no stinking passports!!

Ok, actually you do...or a passport card....

Old 01-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #89
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Cool.... no sense in making it easy...

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #90
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:

Speaking of paperwork.... I have never brought a bike+gear in and out of Mexico but I have in Canada. Getting into Canada has never been an issue but I have had bored US customs guys give me trouble trying to "import" the bike back into the US. Anybody ever have issues like this in Mexico? Any suggestions on what paperwork on the bikes helps make it go more smoothly?

I suspect since it is common for US riders to go play in Mexico they are at least more used to seeing this.