Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #1096
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,986
Back in the land of drinkable water! I'll call you later on! :-)
Old 05-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #1097
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,395
Back in the states! Sitting in the San Francisco airport waiting for another flight . Crazy week, great race!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #1098
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,256
Guerro Negro to Grapevine California.... A great week of racing and good people.... looking forward to rolling into Portland late tomorrow night.

Thanks everyone!

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #1099
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
I for one thought the roadbook was 90% spot on!
I have raced in Mexico for many years and this was my first roadbook
Race and I only over shot two turns at that was on day3.
I would say( if mag 7 would know where to go and set upearly)
The gas stops need to be added to the roadbook.
Also a 2nd support book needs to be made and given to each team for
The support trucks.so they know where to go

BajaDad wrote me:

"Troy,
Next year you need to come over and ride with Team Forest Plywood.
I think we are going to try to field three bikes..."

I replied;

Seem's like the NORRA Mex 1K was a fun event... always thought the "rally format" would work well down in Baja (with regards to the transit's on public roads etc.) in contrast to the wide open SCORE Baja 1000 style (ie: race course the entire distance... from start to finish) format. Both have their attractions... both have advantages and some disadvantages - from safety or organisational/logistic aspects, but both are great iconic events... one well established and the other with a promising future.

It would be great to get back to Baja again to experience either or both events... Baja is one of the greatest places I've had the privelige to ride and race over the years, and one I would gladly take the chance to get back to.

Well done NORRA and it's sponsors, supporters and volunteer officials as well as all the competitors and crews that made it all happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #1100
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,986
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Are you aware of anyone being caught shortcutting or otherwise cheating?
Whether I knew anything or not, as an official it would be improper to discuss it here.

Quote:
Anders, can you explain a little about how the official timing is done, and how the timecards play into that. What happens if a timecard is lost or tampered with? What is the purpose of the timecard?
Sure.

Your time at each control is recorded in four places:
  1. On the paper timecard that you're carrying with you
  2. On the vinyl sticker that's attached to your vehicle
  3. On the log sheet for that control
  4. In the digital camera at the end of the day that takes a picture of the sticker on your vehicle. (final control only)

The time cards are collected at the end of each day. That's when they get transferred to me. The distance between where they are collected and where I have computers set up to crunch scoring is about anywhere from 80 feet (Bay of LA) to two tenths of a mile (La Paz). I walk out and collect them in batches to start putting the numbers in to the database. Once they're in, crunch-crunch-crunch goes the computer, and out comes lots of numbers.

That's "round 1". So, no time card, no scores, in round 1.

The scores from the controls in the field get moved in in a variety of ways. Some get emailed in. Some get called in by sat phone. Sometimes this is prompt. Other times, the desert being what it is, this communication may take a long time. Think of it this way: the timing crew stays there till the checkpoint closes, and then sometimes has to drive an hour till they can get internet and email the log. So you could finish the day at 3pm. A crew that we need data about you from may not close up till 10pm, then drive till 11pm, email me, at which point I'm already working on the start order for the next day, then packing up the "office" to get up tomorrow at 5:30am to get on a little plane to fly ahead of the race. So your time from noon yesterday (as far as the logs go) could not get churned till 24 hours later. (Of course, if you had your time card, no problem.) And if there's a time from the time card that's different from the time on the logs, that gets flagged, and we go back and check all the sources by hand to wrestle out the correct time.

Round 2 starts later that night. We work on reconciling the log from the final control at the end of the day with the scores that have come in. That's when we discover "Oh, 155 is here, but we have no scores for him." Double check the time card stack, nothing there. Then we look at the pictures that were taken of the timecard stickers on the vehicles. We pull the info off there. (If, like Octavio, you have "151" on your sticker, and "155" on your bike and you're registered under "155", we punt and say "We'll just find him tomorrow morning.")

Round 3 is looking through the logs and pulling out more info on people who might never be seen again. If you complete only 1 of 2 stages in a day, then head north because you're broken, we'll never get your time card. Getting this data is extremely problematic.

Round 4 is a never ending analysis of who is DNF and who has missed stages. Take crankshaft for example. First, he was DNF'd. Then, he told me he was back in and would have a new bike for tomorrow. So, now he's un-DNF'd, and given the max stage times for the two stages on the day that he missed. Later, he didn't ride, and now he's DNF'd again, and those max stage times are removed. Round 4 starts on day one and doesn't let up til, oh, half an hour before results are posted on Day 4.

So, the guys that are winning... they're pretty easy. They have times for every control and they show up every day on time. It's the folks that are having, we'll say it like this: "an unconventional amount of adventure", that actually take up the largest amount of effort to score.

Bottom line, lose your time card... you might not see scores for yourself for 48 hours. Currently there's no penalty for losing your timecard, but wait a few weeks.

Quote:
Were there any problems with timing this year?
There are always little things. For example, we had a clock out in the field that was not synced to GPS time. This resulted in a racer who checked in right at the edge of their 30 minute window getting a three minute late penalty. He filed an inquiry (and remember everyone, "inquiries" only mean "please inquire", they are not "protests") and said that the clock used to time him was off. We did a verbal sync over the sat phone and discovered that the clock was indeed off by one minute and 18 seconds. We removed two minutes of penalty out of the three minutes.

Summary: It's not just rally, and it's not just desert racing. The combination of the two makes for some of the most interesting rules and philosophy intersections that I've seen in ten years. (Like ask me some time about the chat I had with Robbie Gordon one night about "speedfactors", which is how we were determining start orders for Day 2, 3, and 4.) NORRA is super vintage-friendly and very newbie-friendly. Pretty amazing event. Let's do it again next month!

Anders

Anders Green screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 05:53 AM
Anders Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #1101
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
This is how I envision friday night developing:

I wasn't far off
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #1102
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley View Post
+1000
I've had such a blast hanging with all of the guys this trip. I've barely even been offended... well except for Crankshaft and Beechum1, those guys are a couple of jerks.

HA HA HAAHHAHAHAHA I'm a racer. I finished the race. see my flags!
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #1103
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley View Post
Congrats to all!!!

(I've got a ton of pics...I'll be posting more when we get home.)
The table with the most trophies right here. No... REALLY!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #1104
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
HA HA HAAHHAHAHAHA I'm a racer. I finished the race. see my flags!
I hope that pic gets posted soon

Home again now, sitting on the couch watching motogp with a cat on my lap. Nice to have some downtime. Tomorrow I need to go back to the real world
Help support my racing addiction and look cool doing it! Buy a T-shirt or hat from the Dakar Dream Store
drc42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #1105
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
I hope that pic gets posted soon

Home again now, sitting on the couch watching motogp with a cat on my lap. Nice to have some downtime. Tomorrow I need to go back to the real world
Got home late last night (plane had engine problems in Phoenix), just woke up, having coffee with wife and dog & cat and starting to catch up on ADV. What an adventure!!!! Meeting all of our fellow gnarly adventurers was great, you guys (and gals) rock, the event was fantastic but it was the people that put it over the top! Will write lots more later, lots of decompressing to do!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #1106
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
. the same group of front runners were pretty steady in their times for the entire 900 miles of racing sections. Maybe there were a few slow stages due to a fall or a wrong turn, but nothing that cost more than 15 or so minutes for anybody. That's pretty darn good. Not unlike the Dakar in that way. After a few stages, the only way to catch up more than a few minutes at a time was if the rider being chased made a big mistake.
Day 1 stage two we ( bike 101 ) lost over 70 min
due to Mag 7 seting up in the wrong place using GPS and not the Road book.

When your the lead bike the Road book is your Bible

PS. doing the Road book the night before was one of Fun parts!
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #1107
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,877
An outsider looking in... vicariously throught the eyes of #101

Aside from my own personal attraction/fascination/history with the Baja peninsula... watching this years NORRA Mexican 1000 was particularly interesting for me... seeing that three of my old compadres from days of yore were there competing together...

Now I know that this is only the (third?) running of this re-vítalized event (is it the second time it's used the roadbook/rally format? ) and I am sure there are idea's and opinions floating about in thought processes everywhere about how this event will move forward and improve...

But one thing that struck me; as I flipped earlier today through a facebbok album of the Moto #101 team guys (Joe, Mark and Dana); was the low key feel and "spirit of cameraderie" that seems to flow as a central theme of this rally-cum-race.

I'm sure the guys won't mind me putting these up or saying so... but so much of what these few photo's depict, sum up - what seems to me - the NORRA Mex 1K is all about!
Check it out...

I'm not sure if I got it 100%... but this seems like these were taken at the morning start of one of the day's competition (Day 3... from Bay of LA? ).

Just look, competitors all standing together, smiling, sharing yarns about the day before... or what the day has in store... That's what it is all about, and i for one hope that it is a central part of this type of event that NORRA manages to keep alive as the event moves on. Even if it grows to encompass 100 plus riders!

Dammit... looks like this could end up gettin' a bit expensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 09:59 AM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #1108
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 854
So stoked for everyone in the event. Congrats to the east coast guys for quite a finish. Actually, congrats to everyone. Really really nice work.

Jeremy, you're quickly developing a resume for tracking. When am I going to see you in the saddle?
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #1109
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
is it the second time it's used the roadbook/rally format?
They have had the roadbook all three years. I think only a couple of people used it the first year, including me.

I'm curious how many people used the roadbook this year, and of those people how many also had a GPS to look at while riding? I'm pushing NORRA to do more to encourage use of the roadbook and discourage use of GPS. I think they still need to allow GPS, for the old dogs that can't learn new tricks, but there should be some bonus or something for those who don't use GPS. We had a bunch of ideas a few weeks ago, but NORRA was unwilling to try any of them. Maybe next year?
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #1110
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,737
Troy, yes those pics were the start of Day 3, but Loreto not Bay of L.A.

Preparation for next year is already consuming all my thoughts. Been searching dealers looking for a good deal on a leftover 2011 WR450F, researching fuel tank options (need the range to be able to do without the unreliable Mag 7 next year) and just plain old daydreaming

Also still kicking myself, if I had checked my spokes after Day 1 I feel like I could have finished all stages. In the end I "finished" but the bike spent 1/2 of day 2 on the back of a truck.

Highlight of the week was when chatting with Mouse McCoy and Greg Tracy, I called myself a wannabe and they both immediately said I wasn't a wannabe, I was out there doing it.
Help support my racing addiction and look cool doing it! Buy a T-shirt or hat from the Dakar Dream Store
drc42 is online now   Reply With Quote