Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #106
Racer20
East West Racing

Oddometer: 102
Wow this thread has given us some great info for the rally. Sounds like we are covering most questions. I had a simple one. How is the weather going to be? trying to make sure we bring the proper gear for end of april-may baja weather.
Racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #107
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,457
This..

I know that if I was thinking about running the M1K and did not have a bike yet, I would scoop this one up in a second....no affiliation...just looks like the perfect bike with everything ready to go for Baja!! (including a magic button and for us old guys and a plate)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756607

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #108
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Just heard that NORRA is looking for some places along the course where some navigation challenges can be added in to keep the Baja vets and GPS followers on their toes. They want accurate roadbook navigation to be more serious than it has been in the past. Those who just want to fun ride/drive from bivouac to bivouac can still do that. Those who want to compete for a top position will have to take the rally navigation challenge seriously.
Scott,
Any updates? Is this still where they are at in a direction of the race?
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #109
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Reg is confirmed, but someone already had my usual number. I'll be down there with #5.

Picking up the bike on saturday. Pretty excited. Ready to see if I still remember how to ride a dirt bike....
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #110
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
Scott, Any updates? Is this still where they are at in a direction of the race?
Things move slowly. I haven't heard anything different in the last few days. I would expect the 2012 roadbook to be slightly better than past years, and cars will get the same roadbook the bikes get. The past two years the cars got the original roadbook made by Ken Cameron, and the bikes had available the roadbook I made based on Ken's roadbook. The bike roadbook had all the same information but was formatted the way a Dakar roadbook is formatted, while the car roadbook didn't follow the standard format and was too wide to fit a moto roadbook holder.

I don't expect significant changes in the way the course is laid out (different course than past years, but not different terrain difficulty). The added navigation challenges may be nothing more than a short diversion off the main road, which is no big deal. They just need a way to distinguish between those who navigate carefully and those who go by memory and knowledge of the traditional routes. They also want to distinguish between those using roadbook only and those using GPS. That's hard to do if the GPS file duplicates what's defined in the roadbook. Maybe they could make the GPS track slightly different than the roadbook in a place or two, and put a checkpoint along the roadbook route so those who use GPS miss the checkpoint?

Here's one interesting bit I just found in their 2012 rulebook:
NORRA may declare some Special Stages to be “checkpoint to checkpoint” where no GPS trail is provided for the stage and competitors must use the route book to navigate through the Special. Virtual Checkpoints may be used in these Specials. Route compliance guidelines for “checkpoint to checkpoint” Specials will be published in advance of such a Special.

If they really do that, some folks could be in for a big surprise! It might be a good idea for everyone to read the whole rulebook.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #111
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,829
Scott,

Are you planning on doing this race? I have seen the Hog Wild Racing rig only in pictures and would love to see it up close!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #112
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Reg is confirmed, but someone already had my usual number. I'll be down there with #5.

Picking up the bike on saturday. Pretty excited. Ready to see if I still remember how to ride a dirt bike....
How long did it take between when you registered and you got the confirmation. I got a quick automated email when I sent it in but didn't get anything confirming my requested number. But, I just did the deposit, not the whole amount yet, perhaps they wait until you are paid in full?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #113
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

It's possible they only confirmed with me because the number I requested was unavailable. I registered with a deposit only last sunday night.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #114
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Scott, Are you planning on doing this race? I have seen the Hog Wild Racing rig only in pictures and would love to see it up close!
I'm not planning to race the rally this year. Actually, the sidecar is still in the garage with a dozen broken parts after finishing the 2010 rally. It will probably stay broken for a while since my priority these days is in getting The Grand Rally planning, routes, and roadbooks done.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #115
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I'm not planning to race the rally this year. Actually, the sidecar is still in the garage with a dozen broken parts after finishing the 2010 rally. It will probably stay broken for a while since my priority these days is in getting The Grand Rally planning, routes, and roadbooks done.
Shame you won't be at the Mexican 1000 but I have been following your Grand Rally thread, awesome stuff!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #116
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Shame you won't be at the Mexican 1000
My spirit will be there, in the roadbook!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #117
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Hog, any chance you have last year's roadbook in digital format? Or last year's GPS tracks (garmin preferred)?

I'm trying to see how big of a gas tank I'll need and get a sense of it all...

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #118
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Your best bet is probably to sign up with Mag7 and get gas at their pits. Since the course is supposed to be different that in the past, the distance between gas stops will likely be different too. I would contact Mag7 and ask them what their worst case distance between their pits would be. I'd also ask NORRA about it. They should provide some direction on that since almost everyone will have the same question.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #119
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Hog, any chance you have last year's roadbook in digital format? Or last year's GPS tracks (garmin preferred)?

Thanks!
Not sure how useful this is without knowing the race course but Mag 7 does show the locations of where they will have pits this year. I found this from this page: http://www.mag7race.com/pd.php?pd=ra...ild=full&id=10

Day 1, Pit 1 Laguna Salada 31 51.464N 115 21.278W 
Day 1, Pit 2 Laguna Diablo 31 04.308N 114 58.510W 
Day 1, Pit 3 Coco's Corner 29 31.051N 114 17.482W 

Day 2, Pit 1 El Progresso 28 20.810N 113 01.773W 
Day 2, Pit 2 San Juanico 26 15.747N 112 28.701W 

Day 3, Pit 1 La Posa De Teresa 25 43.119N 111 32.195W 
Day 3, Pit 2 Colonia Tepeyac 24 18.349N 111 12.764W 

It would be cool if someone had enough info to convert each of these to a race mile.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #120
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, then.

I wonder what the odds are of them routing us down the "old road" out of coco's corner towards the bay of la. I took that (against recommendations) on my ural and would love to try it again on a dirt bike.