Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #121
Racer20
East West Racing

Oddometer: 101
thats great, I copied them into google map to get a idea on location..
Racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #122
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,192
If you are new to Baja ... get one of these.. they are a must !

http://www.baja-almanac.com/

or you can find em in some travel bookstores...

You dont have to worry too much about exchangnig money in mexico as most tiendas and gas stops take dollars and will give you change in either pesos or dollars.. they will have a calcultator at the ready to do the exchange ..

we have a facebook page started for us as another avenue of info!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...99157340130773
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #123
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Speaking of paperwork.... I have never brought a bike+gear in and out of Mexico but I have in Canada. Getting into Canada has never been an issue but I have had bored US customs guys give me trouble trying to "import" the bike back into the US. Anybody ever have issues like this in Mexico? Any suggestions on what paperwork on the bikes helps make it go more smoothly?

I suspect since it is common for US riders to go play in Mexico they are at least more used to seeing this.
Reg only. Nobody cares about MX INS down here. Even in accidents. THey don't care. I know. Make sure the VIN is visible in case they check it, which they probably will. In the event that you need to do it, for ANY reason, photoshopped registrations, and out of state, are easy to do and easy to jedi mind trick through the border. COming back north is even easier.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #124
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Reg only. Nobody cares about MX INS down here. Even in accidents. THey don't care. I know. Make sure the VIN is visible in case they check it, which they probably will. In the event that you need to do it, for ANY reason, photoshopped registrations, and out of state, are easy to do and easy to jedi mind trick through the border. COming back north is even easier.
I strongly disagree with the insurance statement. Twice I've seen all parties involved hauled off to the police station to get things sorted out. Once there, my friend was detained due to no insurance. For a race vehicle that for the most part won't be on the highway, insurance isn't needed. However, for the NORRA race you will be on the highway for extended periods of time and insurance would be a good idea. Besides its cheep compared to what you are spending to race anyway.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #125
decafe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276

can you insure the bike without registration what document are we going to need to get them across border and back i have title
decafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #126
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I strongly disagree with the insurance statement. Twice I've seen all parties involved hauled off to the police station to get things sorted out. Once there, my friend was detained due to no insurance. For a race vehicle that for the most part won't be on the highway, insurance isn't needed. However, for the NORRA race you will be on the highway for extended periods of time and insurance would be a good idea. Besides its cheep compared to what you are spending to race anyway.
Fair enough. all that of course is my opinion. I was in an accident and pulled over handful of times and never asked for INS. So as usual, YMMV. It helps, I imagine that I speak spanish and tell them to F off when they start acting like assholes.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #127
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafe View Post
can you insure the bike without registration what document are we going to need to get them across border and back i have title
EDITED.

It helps to speaky, or have someone with you, and just jedi mind trick them. It's really easy down here.

EX: When I was crossing with the two XR's, I had the copies of the reg's and the insurance card (PS as well) on the same page.... He was about to ask me for the originals when I interrupted him and suggested he look at the VIN. He forgot about the originals.

AGAIN, YMMV.

Getting back is NP. IF they run the VIN, they'll see it's not stolen and you'll be ok. Worst case is you get sent to 2ndary inspection where they do a more thorough check. Again, as long as it's not stolen, you're fine.

beechum1 screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 03:50 PM
Old 01-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #128
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
While paperwork seems optional, it was like $45 for 2 weeks of insurance. Not even worth debating.

I didn't even know I was supposed to have a tourist visa for BCS during either of my visits. I think they might be nicer to bikers than cages... Or maybe it just the ural factor.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #129
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
While paperwork seems optional, it was like $45 for 2 weeks of insurance. Not even worth debating.

I didn't even know I was supposed to have a tourist visa for BCS during either of my visits. I think they might be nicer to bikers than cages... Or maybe it just the ural factor.
Only place I've ever asked for the Tourist Visa is at G. Negro at the state line. Only been asked about 10% of the time through. Like the insurance, just get it, keep life simple and enjoy the race. If for some reason you might need to fly out you will need it.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #130
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Only place I've ever asked for the Tourist Visa is at G. Negro at the state line. Only been asked about 10% of the time through. Like the insurance, just get it, keep life simple and enjoy the race. If for some reason you might need to fly out you will need it.
agree 100% with the above.
- Visa takes 20 mins. at the border to get. A chance you will need it on your way up from Baja Sur.
- Insurance is cheap
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #131
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Visa for G. Negro South

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
agree 100% with the above.
- Visa takes 20 mins. at the border to get. A chance you will need it on your way up from Baja Sur.
- Insurance is cheap
On the way to Scorpion Bay for a surf trip we had our Visas checked at G. Negro. If crossing in Tijuana at least, it only takes maybe 20-30 minutes. We did the Visa thing a few days before we actually crossed. Best of luck!
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #132
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

It is a lot different to live down here than to visit. I'll answer any questions anyone may have. But doing the right thing us just that. :
Old 01-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #133
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Attempting to catch up after being way far south for a month...

Baja Bound Moto might be there for Mex1k.
I'm not planning to race but could easily supply bikes and support.

Bikes would be 450Xs or also have a couple xr600's (overall winning bikes from last 2 Mex1k events). We don't prep crap, only quality. You wouldn't have to think about what tire, or mileage between fuel, it's all handled. Manual roadbook and odometer included, not gps.

No there is not camping (someone asked), it's all hotels. We'd handle all that too. It will be decent places, not the most expensive to help manage cost.

"Malles Moto" - I love that idea and would totally be into doing the donkey work for that. I'd drive a full size truck with enclosed trailer, haul boxes of supplies, have the hotels organized for the riders arrival, and from Cabo I'd haul the bikes/supplies back to So.Cal. or farther. I saw how the Malles Moto went down at the Dakar, understand it.

Insurance can be bought full-coverage only for street plated bikes or liability only for dirt bikes. I feel if you are street plated it's super cheap, easy, and silly to not get.
As for your support truck it's absolutely mandatory you get full coverage (and cheap too).

I'm not interested in only offering bikes w/o support (how would you get my bike back to me?), or only hotels, or only support w/ your bike.
If we go and I have space available I'd for sure offer to haul bikes from Cabo back to the US.

If there's enough interest we're into it.
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #134
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,830
Tim!!
We have to talk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboundmoto View Post
Attempting to catch up after being way far south for a month...

Baja Bound Moto might be there for Mex1k.
I'm not planning to race but could easily supply bikes and support.

Bikes would be 450Xs or also have a couple xr600's (overall winning bikes from last 2 Mex1k events). We don't prep crap, only quality. You wouldn't have to think about what tire, or mileage between fuel, it's all handled. Manual roadbook and odometer included, not gps.

No there is not camping (someone asked), it's all hotels. We'd handle all that too. It will be decent places, not the most expensive to help manage cost.

"Malles Moto" - I love that idea and would totally be into doing the donkey work for that. I'd drive a full size truck with enclosed trailer, haul boxes of supplies, have the hotels organized for the riders arrival, and from Cabo I'd haul the bikes/supplies back to So.Cal. or farther. I saw how the Malles Moto went down at the Dakar, understand it.

Insurance can be bought full-coverage only for street plated bikes or liability only for dirt bikes. I feel if you are street plated it's super cheap, easy, and silly to not get.
As for your support truck it's absolutely mandatory you get full coverage (and cheap too).

I'm not interested in only offering bikes w/o support (how would you get my bike back to me?), or only hotels, or only support w/ your bike.
If we go and I have space available I'd for sure offer to haul bikes from Cabo back to the US.

If there's enough interest we're into it.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #135
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,298
Tim, have you posted up your thoughts and experences from your trip anywhere...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote