User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
IRideASlowBike OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,786
I want to build a chopper.

So because I'm an idiot, and quite incompetent mechanically (aside from doing my own regular maintenance), I have a strong desire to build a chopper. I want it to have a Harley Panhead engine.

I know nothing about building motorcycles. I'm a student (pianist) and have very little money.

Is it possible, and if yes, where do I start?

PS Don't know if this is the right section to post this in, or if JoMomma would be more appropriate...
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Youve just missed the chopper craze,now its bobbers and cafe bikes. Maybe a streettracker. The piano skills will come in handy for bike building.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
IRideASlowBike OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Youve just missed the chopper craze,now its bobbers and cafe bikes. Maybe a streettracker. The piano skills will come in handy for bike building.

I don't care, I want to build a chopper. I'd be doing this to ride myself, not for TV.

And yeah, those piano skills...
Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,258
Pan chop and very little money don't really go together.

Chop up something else to get your feet wet.

Good search terms for your local CL are roller, bobber, chopper. You can find a good starter roller for around a grand, then find an engine..any kind will do, slam it in and ride it.

You have a welder and tools, right?

If not, then what you really need to do is find a motorcycle that is ridable that you can modify. Look for an Intruder 700-800, great engine, cheap and a good base for a cool looking chop.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
IRideASlowBike OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Pan chop and very little money don't really go together.

Damn. I thought so. Even a barn find or something?

Chop up something else to get your feet wet.

Good search terms for your local CL are roller, bobber, chopper. You can find a good starter roller for around a grand, then find an engine..any kind will do, slam it in and ride it.

You have a welder and tools, right?

No welder or welding skills, but I do have tools. Like I said in my OP: mechanical retard.

If not, then what you really need to do is find a motorcycle that is ridable that you can modify. Look for an Intruder 700-800, great engine, cheap and a good base for a cool looking chop.

Might try that, thanks. My first bike was an Intruder 1500, not that that has anything to do with 700 or 800... But I'm guessing they'd be more reliable than an old Harley engine

Old 12-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
No welder or welding skills, but I do have tools. Like I said in my OP: mechanical retard.
Going to be hard to make a chopper if you can't weld or fabricate items. Might want to learn how to weld, it's not difficult or expensive unless you're a poor piano student.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
IRideASlowBike OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
Going to be hard to make a chopper if you can't weld or fabricate items. Might want to learn how to weld, it's not difficult or expensive unless you're a poor piano student.

Yep, that would have to be first on the to do list...
Old 12-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
How good are your piano skills?

If you're reasonably good, maybe you could post some ads: "Will trade piano lessons for welding lessons" or " Will trade piano lessons for chopper." or "Will play piano in your church, bar, or seedy biker hangout for chopper or parts thereof "

Yeah, it's a long-shot, but you shouldn't have much competition.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
IRideASlowBike OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
If you're reasonably good, maybe you could post some ads: "Will trade piano lessons for welding lessons" or " Will trade piano lessons for chopper." or "Will play piano in your church, bar, or seedy biker hangout for chopper or parts thereof "

Yeah, it's a long-shot, but you shouldn't have much competition.

Somehow I doubt that biker bars are in need of piano players, or that many people would volunteer to build, or even help build, me a chopper in exchange for piano lessons, although I'm certainly qualified to do both (you can listen to some of my playing here: http://qcpages.qc.edu/music/index.ph...6&R=1#PodNov09. Scroll down the page to where it says "Alexei Tartakovski")

Fortunately I know a Russian guy who runs a body shop, he said he could teach me how to weld, although when I asked him he said "why the fuck would you want to weld, piano is so much better" or something to that extent in Russian.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Youve just missed the chopper craze,now its bobbers and cafe bikes. .
That might be to his advantage. Shouldn't be too hard to find some guy suffering from buyer's (builder's?) remorse who has a tacky, butt ugly, ill-handling, POS he paid stupid-money to a three-letter now-defunct custom bike company for that has been collecting dust for years now.

JamesG screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 06:45 PM
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
IRideASlowBike OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
That might be to his advantage. Shouldn't be too hard to find some guy suffering from buyer's (builder's?) remorse who has a tacky, butt ugly, ill-handling, POS he paid stupid-money to a three-letter now-defunct custom bike company for that has been collecting dust for years now.

Uh, no. Not into "American Ironhorse" or similar garbage.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,529
Downsize your dream and save like a banker, saw this on the streets of Mexico.... way cool

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
IRideASlowBike OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Downsize your dream and save like a banker, saw this on the streets of Mexico.... way cool

Old 12-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post

Somehow I doubt that biker bars are in need of piano players, or that many people would volunteer to build, or even help build, me a chopper in exchange for piano lessons, although I'm certainly qualified to do both (you can listen to some of my playing here: http://qcpages.qc.edu/music/index.ph...6&R=1#PodNov09. Scroll down the page to where it says "Alexei Tartakovski")

Fortunately I know a Russian guy who runs a body shop, he said he could teach me how to weld, although when I asked him he said "why the fuck would you want to weld, piano is so much better" or something to that extent in Russian.

Hey, I said it was a long shot, and maybe there's a chopper guy out there who yearns to play piano, just as you yearn to build a chopper. It's more likely than the "low-budget-pan chop" discussed earlier.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #15
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
Hey, I said it was a long shot, and maybe there's a chopper guy out there who yearns to play piano, just as you yearn to build a chopper. It's more likely than the "low-budget-pan chop" discussed earlier.

Shoot, I'd build him a bike for piano lessons. I'd prefer some more guitar lessons, but it all applies.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote