Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #76
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Like others have said, for a first build I would look for an Evo Sportster and go from there.I found a 1996 883 on CL for 2000$ the deals are out there just take your time and look for them. Look on www.chopcult.com or xlfourms.net for info and ideas.You can build a nice custom bike without knowing how to weld or fab parts. I have found that it is lots easier to spend money on a bike that I am riding than a pile of parts in the garage that someday might be a bike.

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #77
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
I'll be at the IMS show in NYC same time as york this year, which really sucks. It will be the first york I've missed in several years.
Doug
Are you going to be doing any shows at Bikeweek? Would love to hear you talk about your adventures

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #78
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
So because I'm an idiot, and quite incompetent mechanically (aside from doing my own regular maintenance), I have a strong desire to build a chopper. I want it to have a Harley Panhead engine.

I know nothing about building motorcycles. I'm a student (pianist) and have very little money.

Just going by what you said in the original post. Ask folks opinion and you're going to get them, both good and bad.

Riding a chopper built by pro's is scary enough. Seen a build off episode where a highly respected (Chica?) industry builder's frame weld came apart on the interstate.

So you can see my concern about an idiot with no knowlege of building motorcycles may be jeapordizing his/her safety, and those around them.

Best of luck.

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #79
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,741
My son wanted to build a chopper for his first vehicle when he was 15..I bought a stock great running 87 Virago for $400.00,we built it under a tarp in our back yard and had a total of $600.00 ( including bike) into it when we finished.We left the engine stock and did only minor frame mods and built our own handlebars and rear fender.I rode it for about 5,000 miles before he got his license and he rode it about 4,000 miles after he got it.It was the perfect bike to start his love of bike building.He than built a KZ550 chopper several years later.

Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #80
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
And for further reading, click on RTWDoug's profile and look for the thread called "The Wrong Way Round, on a Chopper".
nice pics and one heck of an adventure.

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #81
IRideASlowBike OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Jim View Post
Just going by what you said in the original post. Ask folks opinion and you're going to get them, both good and bad.

Riding a chopper built by pro's is scary enough. Seen a build off episode where a highly respected (Chica?) industry builder's frame weld came apart on the interstate.

So you can see my concern about an idiot with no knowlege of building motorcycles may be jeapordizing his/her safety, and those around them.

Best of luck.

Even assuming I'd learn to weld reasonably well, I'd likely hand off critical parts like the frame to a professional.

If no one ever tried anything, nothing would ever happen.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #82
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
Even assuming I'd learn to weld reasonably well, I'd likely hand off critical parts like the frame to a professional.

If no one ever tried anything, nothing would ever happen.

But...You'll shoot yer' eye out kid!!

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #83
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
You're in Pennsylvania, right? Save yourself some hassle and money by starting with either a complete bike w/ clean title or a titled frame. Getting a title for anything self-assembled in this state can be a PITA. You'll need to take whatever bike you build from scratch to an "Enhanced Vehicle Inspection Station" that's certified to inspect self-assembled bikes. The bike you build will need to have all the street legal goodies to pass inspection. Head and tail lights will need to be DOT certified. You'll need to provide receipts for all DOT parts. They'll take pics and send off to PennDot for the final say. It's pretty-much the same process for street legalizing a dirt bike. Here's a good write-up on it all.

http://www246.pair.com/oakdale/duals...conversion.pdf
Old 12-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #84
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
My son wanted to build a chopper for his first vehicle when he was 15..I bought a stock great running 87 Virago for $400.00,we built it under a tarp in our back yard and had a total of $600.00 ( including bike) into it when we finished.We left the engine stock and did only minor frame mods and built our own handlebars and rear fender.I rode it for about 5,000 miles before he got his license and he rode it about 4,000 miles after he got it.It was the perfect bike to start his love of bike building.He than built a KZ550 chopper several years later.
That's what I've been wanting to say throughout this entire thread. If you can't afford a $1200 basket case, maybe you should forget the HD namebrand and just build a bike you can afford.

There are 70's jap bikes lying by the side of the road that you could be building next month. Buy a MIG on Clist for $300 and start learning. http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

"The perfect is the enemy of the good."
Old 12-31-2011, 05:41 AM   #85
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Took me nine months. Stripped this 52 Pan down to the frame and rebuilt everything but the engine. Didn't need it.

Someone said get one with a clean title. He's right. Better yet, get a bike that's already titled as what you want to wind up with. In other words, you don't want a title that says it's a custom build bike. No after market.

Good Luck.
Attached Images

LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #86
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,930
I think he has stated that one first criteria is No or Little money. Pretty Pan Head. LOL

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #87
IRideASlowBike OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I think he has stated that one first criteria is No or Little money. Pretty Pan Head. LOL

+1, nice chopper.

This project will have to wait.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #88
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post

This project will have to wait.

And the voice of reason extinguishs the flame of desire.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #89
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 701
a light bulb goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
And the voice of reason extinguishes the flame of desire.
Alex,
If I may. No budget and no welding skills and hands that have value for other skills make stated purpose unlikely.

Not impossible , but irony aside,some would save you from yourself.

See Adam at Liberty Cycles in Phila,Pa for thought stim and ideas about inexpensive custom bikes.

Or if Reading isn't too far ,you could maybe see a friend's Honda chopper build ?
Regards,Ed

pennswoodsed screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 08:19 PM Reason: additional info
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #90
IRideASlowBike OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
And the voice of reason extinguishs the flame of desire.

Not enough money to really start anything, and certainly not enough time. I have possibly as many as 4 international competitions coming up this year, so of course preparing for those takes priority. This thread was more of a general question about how to start.

I want to learn welding first, but the courses at the local technical college are themselves pretty expensive.