Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #46
twistedkeys OP
Utahrd

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by groo-v-1 View Post
yup, your dreaming allright! for a road worthy scoot this is about as light as it gets considering a 125 PCX weighs 280lbs. your looking for off road only specs obviously. a small dirt bike with semi-auto trans, no clutch maybe!
Guys, I don't want to be rude or condescending, but I never said a thing about weight. I couldn't care less if it was 500lbs, if it was easy to ride (no clutch, comfortable) and had suspension and clearance of an off road bike then you basically have my idea.

CR250
- Sold
KE100 - Sold
twistedkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #47
=retread=
more MPG

Oddometer: 124
sorry, was replying to woodsrat. edited last post!
=retread= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #48
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
The '63 C105 "Trail 55" weighed in at 150 pounds dry. That's with a battery, rack, and full lighting for the era. Adding blinkers would add only a few pounds to that. My Passport rat bike, powered by a Lifan 125cc motor with front and rear racks, full of oil and gas, street-legal (no blinkers) and ready to ride weighs 164 pounds. My UAB project with a solo seat and no racks will be even lighter.

Given it's already been done why can't they do it again???

Hate to spoil anyone's idea but weight is everything when you take a bike off the road. The lighter the overall weight, the lighter everything that holds it up--frame, suspension, wheels, brakes--needs to be. Scooters already work at a major disadvantage off the road since a huge portion of their weight is "unsprung" what with the motor and transmission going up-and-down with the rear wheel. I don't care where you go off the road eventually you're going to have to push/carry/lift it and the more it weighs the less likely you'll be able to pick it up. It's hard to argue with basic physics!!!

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com

Woodsrat screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 07:21 PM
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #49
=retread=
more MPG

i hear ya on the light weight thing but, i think its more of a liability thing nowadays. they dont want anything breaking at 55 mph on the road. plus you also get the lovely catalyst, electronics, and fi systems and it all adds up. your lightest alternative nowadays will allways be off road only. alot of states won't let you lisence them with light kits anymore so you have what they offer and strip as much weight as you want. look at the difference in weight from a dp bike and its off road only version.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #50
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

At least for right now a small bore horizontal Honda engine with a carburetor will still pass U. S. emission standards (as proven by the virtually identical SYM Symba) and not require a cat or F. I., potentially saving a ton of weight, complexity and expense.

Let Honda hang all the DOT lighting on a stripped-down Passport/Symba style chassis (think Honda Ruckus as a styling cue) and it could easily go under 200 lbs. even with all the government approved EPA crapola. Give it a high pipe, a semi-auto four speed 125cc motor and a 16"/19" wheel combo, using the CRF-100 fork as a basis. Leave off all the plastic that normally adorns the typical modern Honda underbone that only adds weight, makes it harder to work on and more fragile. Style it like a dirt bike (I think they already make something like this for the Phillipino/Asian market) and get it on the market for around $2500. Honda came up with an incredible all-new 250 sport bike and it sells for $3999--and they totally sold out. There's absolutely no reason they can't use the existing technology and tooling and build the bike I describe and sell it in the U. S. for $2500--or less. Would it sell? The Ruckus is a steady seller at that price so a small motorcycle with twice the performance for the same money ought to sell, too.

Why didn't the Symba set the world on fire? Nostalgia only goes so far and sells so many bikes. A bike as I've described will have to appeal both to old phucks like me as well as snotnose kids who just got their driver's license. Maybe Honda can pull off another masterful ad campaign, putting their supercross stars to work promoting it on commercials and make it the next gotta-have lifestyle accessory for the under 30 crowd who otherwise wouldn't have bought a bike, serving as an "entry bike" that'll get them on cruisers or sportbikes as their age and affluence grows.

There again, maybe not.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #51
twistedkeys OP
Utahrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
At least for right now a small bore horizontal Honda engine with a carburetor will still pass U. S. emission standards (as proven by the virtually identical SYM Symba) and not require a cat or F. I., potentially saving a ton of weight, complexity and expense.

Let Honda hang all the DOT lighting on a stripped-down Passport/Symba style chassis (think Honda Ruckus as a styling cue) and it could easily go under 200 lbs. even with all the government approved EPA crapola. Give it a high pipe, a semi-auto four speed 125cc motor and a 16"/19" wheel combo, using the CRF-100 fork as a basis. Leave off all the plastic that normally adorns the typical modern Honda underbone that only adds weight, makes it harder to work on and more fragile. Style it like a dirt bike (I think they already make something like this for the Phillipino/Asian market) and get it on the market for around $2500. Honda came up with an incredible all-new 250 sport bike and it sells for $3999--and they totally sold out. There's absolutely no reason they can't use the existing technology and tooling and build the bike I describe and sell it in the U. S. for $2500--or less. Would it sell? The Ruckus is a steady seller at that price so a small motorcycle with twice the performance for the same money ought to sell, too.

Why didn't the Symba set the world on fire? Nostalgia only goes so far and sells so many bikes. A bike as I've described will have to appeal both to old phucks like me as well as snotnose kids who just got their driver's license. Maybe Honda can pull off another masterful ad campaign, putting their supercross stars to work promoting it on commercials and make it the next gotta-have lifestyle accessory for the under 30 crowd who otherwise wouldn't have bought a bike, serving as an "entry bike" that'll get them on cruisers or sportbikes as their age and affluence grows.

There again, maybe not.
I was kinda thinking more 250-600cc, so you can comfortably cruise on the highway, or comfortably climb up a steep off road hill, water crossings, small logs or trees, yet easy to ride for anyone (easy to ride meaning there's no clutch, and has a confidence inspiring seating position.) so that anyone could ride it! Easy as that.

Like a sport utility vehicle; storage room for a lot of stuff, can go anywhere, and easy to operate for an average driver. Is it not ideal?

CR250
- Sold
KE100 - Sold
Old 01-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #52
=retread=
more MPG

yes it is as easy as that, but like keys said its also got to be able to to sell in numbers or they won't mass produce it. you/ll always be limited to what they have to offer.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #53
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856

This was posted in this forum a few years ago.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515576

http://www.supertrade.com.ph/index.p...cycles/cx-135/

http://www.mocyc.com/modifyzone/view...R&idmodify=214

svejkovat screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 10:23 PM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #54
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
cool! not a scooter though, in my opinion. looks like a 135cc motorcycle to me! very similar to the honda innova (think its called honda wave in some places) which is a 125cc motorcycle we get in the uk
Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #55
Forde
Studly Adventurer

yknow just thinking, there are quite a lot of step through, auto scooter designs we got here that are quite like your adventure scooter idea. several companies produced "off road" variants of popular models, with higher suspension, raised fenders for even more ground clearance, raised pipes, etc and off road type tyres,

some that spring to mind immediately are the peugeot trekker off-road, the aprilia rally, and the honda x8r-x. only problem is they are all 50cc lol

Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #56
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

The CXT looks like a step in the right direction. More displacement, an USD fork and in general pretty beefy looking. Again heavier than I'd prefer but ought to hold up better to abuse.

Honda's had similar bikes available in the Phillipines for awhile and their importer did one up with a 21" front wheel, USD fork, knobbies, etc. It looked like a Honda CR had gone on a drunk, went into the Cub side of town and the hot-rod "dual-sport" scooter was the result. It looked a lot better than these, for sure:

http://www.hondaph.com/showcase/xrm-125-dual-sport

These are also used in local motocross competition, if you can believe that. They're 218 pounds and cost $1424 US.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #57
Forde
Studly Adventurer

thats a cool little bike
Old 02-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #58
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308
Dirt Scooters....

I have driven a honda C70 close to the dirt limit...
Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #59
twistedkeys OP
Utahrd

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x.aspx

HA!!! I knew it!!!! I'm so happy!! This is basically what I was talking about, but in a more motorcycle-like form! It's PERFECT! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love everyone!

CR250
- Sold
KE100 - Sold
Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #60
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Have you guys been following Colin and Re?

They've ridden their Symbas from Oregon to NC to Toronto then flew them to South Africa, rode across Africa and India, then flew them to Nepal. Now they are in Thailand and still on the road. All on 101.5 cc's.
Now that's an adventure scooter.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716979

Steven
MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote