Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 AM   #181
Yamezz
Suffers from MBS

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Continuation of the build thread coming in November, promise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
Lukas, you promised November ....
Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #182
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Lukas,

Now that your rally is over do you want to elaborate further on the bike builds? Maybe some current modifications for your future Berg travels? Got me all excited last year with this thread and have left me wanting more.

Joe
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #183
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,321
Hi Joe,

As you wrote I just participated in the Tuareg Rally in Tunisia, which took up all my free time for the last month or two. My priority right now is to catch up at work and with the girlfriend, but I have not forgotten about this thread.

I can say that I really was very happy with the Berg in the Tuareg, for an intermediate rider like myself I don't think I could have chosen a better setup that would have survived my frequent crashes as well.

These bikes rock!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #184
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

I was lucky enough to source one of the 70 Racing subframe tanks at the last minute, the new and improved V2.

It was the perfect setup for me, it keeps the nice and slender stock lines of the Berg and gave me just enough capacity (12.5 liters total) that I never had to use the small reserve fuel bottles I carried. Got pretty close a couple of times though, in the really soft difficult dune days where I was either fully on the gas or stuck somewhere, I think I averaged around 20-25 mpg...

IMO it's a total no-brainer for pretty much everybody to fit one of these tanks when they become available again, as it gives you extra carrying capacity without any extra weight or bulkiness. The translucent color is great for always seeing your fuel level, and the new venting and billet feeder system worked perfectly and were easy to install.

This is my bike at 6am on the day of scrutineering in Tunisia, luckily the install took less than 2 hours from start to finish.

Same weight, one is liquid tight and one isn't:

Stock lines and width, only difference is that you loose the grab handles which IMO are useless anyway in the stock position. I usually grab under the rear fender just where it meets the subframe tank, on the left of the muffler mount. With the Euro undertail fender installed it's very stiff and strong in that area. This is also where the Giant Loop bags hook in, so I definitely recommend the Euro undertail if you don't have one yet.

You can see the level of the fuel just above the right subframe bolt, the level automatically equalizes with the front tank so it's always as low as possible, and you don't have to bother with turning on any petcocks.

Fantastic product, I couldn't have been happier!

LukasM screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 11:25 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #185
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,690
Welcome back Lukas.
How did you go in the rally?
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #186
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
I wish I had the matching translucent main tank too - I have the v2 (or is it v3?) 70 Racing subframe tank, but my stock main tank is the dark gray/almost-black, and you can't see the fuel level at all. At least with the newer 70 Racing subframe tank, because the level equalizes, I now know. It was harder with the previous version, but not as bad a that black one you have in first pic.

What hubs are they btw?

I'm saving my pennies for one of those toolbox bash-guard things too...
Old 03-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #187
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
earlier in the thread they said they were using Haan Cush rear hubs.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #188
svestenik
armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hi, which headlight mask is that ? Where can it be bought ?
svestenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #189
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Welcome back Lukas.
How did you go in the rally?
Hey Joe,

The rally was awesome, and I did better than I would have expected. About 160 bikes in total and 110 or so in the Profi class, I was always in the top third and got faster every day, 16th on the last day. Got 36th overall in the end because of a 4 hour time penalty (always check that your time card has been signed properly at the CPs!!!) .

Will hopefully be training lots this year and then going back for a top 20 finish in 2014!

Are you going to join me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
I wish I had the matching translucent main tank too - I have the v2 (or is it v3?) 70 Racing subframe tank, but my stock main tank is the dark gray/almost-black, and you can't see the fuel level at all. At least with the newer 70 Racing subframe tank, because the level equalizes, I now know. It was harder with the previous version, but not as bad a that black one you have in first pic.

What hubs are they btw?

I'm saving my pennies for one of those toolbox bash-guard things too...
Yeah I really like the translucent tanks for their functionality, very helpful to always see the fuel level. If you have the V2 subframe tank I would probably empty everything and then mark the level in 1 liter steps so you always know exactly what range you have left. I'm going to do the same when I get my bike back.

Love the rally bash plate, that thing has taken many a pounding when I bottomed out the suspension on rocks, no problems whatsover. Great spot to carry tools and spares low on the bike, and you will always have them with you when you need them. The latest version now is improved with adjustable latches based on our feedback.

The hubs are from Haan, and they are definitely the best cush hubs you can buy. Machined from billet, they use KTM rubbers (last a lot longer than the Talon donuts), and they use some pretty fancy machining to remove all material where it is not critical for strength.

Here is a Haan sprocket carrier on the left compared to a RAD one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svestenik View Post
Hi, which headlight mask is that ? Where can it be bought ?
The mask is part of the Rallye Lite kit from Highwaydirtbikes, it comes with the navigation bracket/handlebar riser/steering damper mount assembly. Super functional and bomb proof assembly, just like their hand guards and top clamp.

You can finds lots of good pictures here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20778367

And you can buy it here:
http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...TM_Rallye_Lite
Old 03-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #190
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Hey Joe,

Will hopefully be training lots this year and then going back for a top 20 finish in 2014!

Are you going to join me?
Well if you insist.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote