Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #76
gay biker on acid ?
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
Thomas? And do you know when it'll be available? I'm considering a 570 but there's no way it'll do the trip I'm planning (India/Pakistan) without a serious increase in oil capacity. I'm also interested in the sub frame construction re carrying capacity if you have any comments on that. In an ideal world I'd wait a year but for timing reasons I can't afford to hang around with the purchase, and I don't want to do the trip on a large bike or a carb'd bike.

Another area of interest is the fuel pump and set up and whether the guys at the factory have installed in-line filters or are leaving that stuff to you.
Have you enquired about a carnet for that trip ?
gay biker on acid ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #77
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Thomas? And do you know when it'll be available? I'm considering a 570 but there's no way it'll do the trip I'm planning (India/Pakistan) without a serious increase in oil capacity. I'm also interested in the sub frame construction re carrying capacity if you have any comments on that. In an ideal world I'd wait a year but for timing reasons I can't afford to hang around with the purchase, and I don't want to do the trip on a large bike or a carb'd bike.

Another area of interest is the fuel pump and set up and whether the guys at the factory have installed in-line filters or are leaving that stuff to you.
Thomas Berglund berglundracing.com, a few posts back.

Have you seen this build where the guys uses every cavity on a 570? So You Want a Lightweight Adventure Travel Bike

Interesting oil cooler from Twinair. Haven't seen it used on a Berg but could be adapted.

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #78
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Cheers Cy, I'll have a proper look.

Gaybiker - Yes, my work involves visiting various countries with expensive equipment so I am well aware.
Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #79
gay biker on acid ?
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Cheers Cy, I'll have a proper look.

Gaybiker - Yes, my work involves visiting various countries with expensive equipment so I am well aware.
Cool, the reason for asking was someone was telling me about doing the same trip on a brand new bike but was totally unaware of the carnet he soon changed his mind when i told him.
Let us know how you get on with your trip and which bike you go for, this berg thread has got me hooked
gay biker on acid ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #80
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:

Yeah Thomas Berglund as Cyborg said. He just finished the Dakar in a top 40 position on his Berg.

Regarding carrying capacity I would advise that you stick with either the 70° Racing subframe tank or whatever rear tank Thomas will be coming out with, and investing wisely in some high quality light weight mountaineering type gear. Put that in a Giant Loop Coyote + maybe a small dry bag on the rear, and a tank bag up front.

If you really need more luggage capacity you could try to ask Thomas and the Scandinavian rally guys about their steel subframes, maybe they don't need them any more now, or you can build something similar yourself:

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #81
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I don't want to derail the thread - but just to close this off, my bank covers the carnet bond for me for a small charge due to the fact that they get reasonable business when we take gear on commercial jobs. Luckily that side of things isn't an issue - the bigger problem seems to be security for Northern Pakistan.

Edited to add: Cheers Lukas, that's spot on.
Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #82
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Yeah Thomas Berglund as Cyborg said. He just finished the Dakar in a top 40 position on his Berg.

Regarding carrying capacity I would advise that you stick with either the 70° Racing subframe tank or whatever rear tank Thomas will be coming out with, and investing wisely in some high quality light weight mountaineering type gear. Put that in a Giant Loop Coyote + maybe a small dry bag on the rear, and a tank bag up front.

If you really need more luggage capacity you could try to ask Thomas and the Scandinavian rally guys about their steel subframes, maybe they don't need them any more now, or you can build something similar yourself:

This is just ridiculously awesome. The build quality is top.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #83
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Lukas, from the discussion in the other 70degree thread, I was thinking about how to test the load on the existing circuits on the Berg FE's, which you wanted to do.

I made this in-circuit fuse test cable. The fuse portion was disabled, then I Demeled grooves on one side down to the metal and soldered down 16 gauge wire and sealed in with super-glue (cyanoacrylate). Make sure nothing sticks out thicker than the original fuse body so it will still plug in easily. I added a quick disconnect to use as loop or pigtails.

You said you had a fancy Fluke DC clamp-meter so you could plug this type of fuse test cable into any of the 4 fuse locations on the Berg and then clamp this loop or use the in-series Amp function cheaper voltmeters have.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #84
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Clif,

Thanks for the tip, that looks like a great way to get a reading on the individual circuits. Might have to make one myself, just have to make sure that I don't burn the bike to the ground!

We have been getting in lots of nice parts so the builds are fully underway, dozens of mods coming. I have to admit not (m)any of them are original ones as we have been learning from 4 years of experience of other riders and builders! So thank for that guys!

And just to make you all jealous, my derrière has a new best friend! It was hand crafted by the best in the business (at least west of Atlantik if you ask Colebatch). Mr. James Renazco, who just happens to own a Berg himself!

Looks great installed on the bike!

Old 02-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #85
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Adventure-Berg build part 1 - fuel injection filtering

Modern electronic fuel injection systems have many advantages over carburetors, particularly when it comes to dealing with changes in temperature, humidity and elevation. On our expedition we are going to encounter extremes of each, going from 0 to >20,000 ft, in temperatures from about 90°F down to -20°F. This was one of the many reasons why we chose the Husaberg FE570s, which are known to have spot on fueling that is bullet proof once a few measures are taken.

There is one thing that EFI is much more sensitive about than carburetors, namely dirt. The injectors have extremely small orifices that are great for atomization and getting a more efficient burn, they also clog up much more easily. And unlike a plugged carb jet, they cannot be cleaned easily once that happens. This combined with the fact that we are not going to get our bikes filled up at a nice and clean gas station, means that we have to take some additional measures in the filtering system.

Luckily for us the ground work has been laid by other off road racers who have come up with tried and proven solutions to this issue.

From right to left these are:

KTM fuel injector pre-filter (note that this is the new grey version with 20 micron filtering, #
78141013190, which comes with a fuel injection hose clamp. The previous black version had 10 microns and is prone to clogging. Two shown, only one is needed to install)

Next is the Profill Australia sock filter for the fuel tank opening, # KTM0001, www.profill-australia.com/e-store/STORE.html

The canister looking thing is an inline filter from a Can-Am quad, # 709000100 (credit for finding this one goes to Husaberg Rally Racing Australia) plus two fuel injection rated hose clamps (OD of the line measures 13.88mm).

And finally there is set of caps/plus that Husaberg sells, which you should use to close off your lines when the fuel tank is off. # 81212016000.

Installation of the Profill filter is effortless, it simply drops into the tank opening and fits nicely under the stock fuel cap. There is no way for it to fall into the tank either, as the diameter is bigger than the opening on the bottom. A+ for a nice part.

The Can-Am filter is a bit more involved, but also not too difficult.

First step is to remove the tank, and since this removes the air filter it's a good idea to close off the opening with the cover that Husaberg sells cheaply, # 81206005000.

Next you have to remove the hose from the throttle body, in the red circled area you might find an Oetiker style pinch clamp that will get destroyed but you won't need it any more anyway.

And now remove the female part of the quick disconnect that is installed on the tank side:

Be careful here, there will be residual fuel in the line. I made a mess and barely missed my eye with the fuel that came out when I pulled the connector off.

Here are the stock components laid out next to the new filter. You can see that the length is pretty much the same, so you can keep the stock lines if you just place the filter inline instead of the stock quick disconnect. Some people have tried using both but found that the hose will kink.

I took an additional step here, as I knew the filter would be resting on the hot cylinder head, I wanted to cushion it with some rubber in between. I had a suitable piece of radiator hose which I knew could handle the heat, although e.g. an inner tube might work as well.

Ready to install, on the right side you can see the cap from the washing kit. It's a bit loose on it's own but fine with the hose clamp, good insurance so that no additional dirt is entering the filter. Make sure that the arrow on the filter is pointed in direction of the throttle body, not like above!

The first thing is pushing the little grey injector pre-filter into the barb at the throttle body. Then slide the hose over it and clamp it in place. Only have this blurry pic:

Here I ran into a little problem, wrapped with the thick radiator hose and the close clamps the filter had gotten too big to slide into the stock location behind the timing chain tensioner:

So I took it off again, and after looking for other suitable rubber I noticed that the radiator hose was made from two-plies that could easily be separated.

Fastened one layer with some quality T & B zip ties, and it was now much thinner:

This way it fits perfectly into the stock location, with no metal to metal contact anywhere.

You are now ready to re-install the fuel tank, just remove the cap from the filter end and slide the tank hose on instead.

For future tank removal you just loose that one clamp on the right of the filter, to ensure that no dirt can enter between filter and injector (or to prevent your small pre-injector filter from getting plugged).

On pre 2012 bikes you might also want to look into replacing the filter directly at the pump with a unit from Profill, HUS01 (www.profill-australia.com/e-store/STORE.html). There was a hole on the pump bottom that can allow dirt to pass through. This has been fixed now according to Profill.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #86
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
damn what an update!!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #87
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,498
+1 I am digging the fuel tank condom. Good idea.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #88
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
+1 I am digging the fuel tank condom. Good idea.

Yes, BRILLIANT!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #89
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,728
Lukas, you could use a quality petrol resistant glue to hold the rubber coating onto the Can Am filter, uses up even less space and no large piece of zip tie getting in the road.

Are you going to replace the standard timing chain adjuster in your photo for a manual adjust model, I found they worked better and are very simple to use.

Like the work so far.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #90
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Nice filtering update Lukas!

I assume the KTM fuel injector pre-filter comes OEM from the factory with the 10 micron, and you changed it to 20 micron? I hadn't known there was a pre-injector screen so that makes me feel better about possibly getting a bit of dirt when opening the quick-disconnect.

I'm probably going the Golan cleanable filter route and keep the quick disconnect since the Golan is short and low volume.

Nice job insulating and protecting the CanAm filter, since the Dakar guys had problems with the larger inline filters near the engine getting vapor-locked.

Between the tank fill sock filter, the pump pre-filter, the mid tank main filter, the Can-Am after-main-before-injector-pre-filter and the injector pre-filter, I don't see how dirt could possibly get to the the injector!