User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #61
xcuzzi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
just got back

I just completed this trail last weekend (Feb 10,11,&12) with a buddy and it was pretty much as you said. The big muddy spot was not there though. It had dried up and in it's place was something we called 'moon dust". It was the consistancy of flour. I decided to crash in it just to see what it was like . . . it was so fine it just coated everything like chalk dust. The weather was perfect and it was a fun/challenging ride. But you gotta deal with the sand. Great fun.
xcuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #62
BigBeemerBob
Just call me "Beemer Bob"

Oddometer: 103
Myself and a friend are about to embark on this trail in the morning. Currently in Ajo, got permits but cannot find any place to get the damn flags
Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #63
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeemerBob View Post
Myself and a friend are about to embark on this trail in the morning. Currently in Ajo, got permits but cannot find any place to get the damn flags
Not that it helps you now but I made my own flag. I used an orange construction flag I "found" and cut it down to just the size required (90 square inches I think). I chose to have the flag only a few inches long and mostly tall. I figured it would catch less wind that way and not bend the pole so much which turned out to be the case. I used some old fiberglass tent poles for the flagstaff. They are shock corded together and collapse to a size easily carried on the bike when the flag isn't required. I put a flag mount on the corner of my tail rack to mount it as high as possible and minimize the length of the pole needed to get the flag to the required eight feet off the ground. The shorter pole also helps minimize bending. When using the flag the pole joints have to be duct taped so it doesn't pop apart going over bumps. Alan used a similar setup but his flag was bigger and mounted lower on the bike so the pole was longer. My flag setup flexed far less than his.

Xskydiver screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 09:33 AM
Xskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #64
FirstMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Xskydiver, while I am far from an expert, I will have to show you the pictographs in the tinajas altas next time you do this.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #65
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstMan View Post
Xskydiver, while I am far from an expert, I will have to show you the pictographs in the tinajas altas next time you do this.
DEAL! I knew there were some there but didn't spend a bunch of time looking because I wasn't sure where to look. If you get out this way I can show you some equally cool stuff.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #66
RockinTheRVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernous View Post
I just finished Luis Alberto Urrea's book 'The Devil's Highway' so it's cool getting to see images from the area. Thanks for the share!
Awesome, I read that book too and was thinking the same thing. It's a good book and paints a good picture of how desolate it can be out there.

@ OP - Thanks for sharing your RR!
RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote