Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #46
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfog2 View Post
Hey - NICE addition to the fleet!

I actually dreamt of one of those for a LONG time but for some reason ended up buying the VStrom. (Perhaps THIS website and the Stromtrooper site influenced me in that direction.)

So, my NEXT bike will be an SV :)

J
West Central Indiana
Couldn't find a Wee I could afford. Great minds think alike, apparently!
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #47
Fullcyc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Sweet, Congrats! on the new ride.
I hope it gives you many years of smiles...
Fullcyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #48
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Shake down ride

Took the newish bike out to North Salem. Small town just west of Danville, Indiana. This shot was taken in the middle of town.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #49
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Thumb Looking forward to seeing more stories.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
Blacktruck,
Be safe and get home as soon as you can. I'd like to be reading your reports as you wander around your home as soon as possible.

To all,
Thanks for the encouragement. I intend to continue having quiet "adventures" around here this summer.

I have added a new partner in crime--a very rare moment when I had some money that wasn't budgeted for other needs occurred and I decided to find a bike I have wanted since I first saw one in 1999. This is an '01 with 9700 miles on it.

I have loved the old GR, but I am reluctant to wander too far afield on 30-year-old technology. Hey, I'm no mechanic and I am riding around on a bike I resurrected. :)

I love "classic bikes" too, Blacktruck, and the SV fits many of the attributes I like about them. Light, fun and engaging to ride are the things I look for in a bike. The SV is all of those things, but I have enough confidence in the bike that I can ride further and more often. I think it will be one of bikes that people will look to restore 30 years from now. I just decided to get in on the ground floor.

Looks like I won't be able to keep the old GR. We will have two kids in college next year and the senior year of high school tends to be expensive. Would love to be able to tear it completely down and take care of a few things--has a minor leak at the base of the cylinder heads and all the side cases need to be polished along with the need to paint the bodywork--but it looks like the next owner will have to do that. At least I got it running right and got the electrical system cleaned up. It taught me a lot about working on bikes and gave me a lot of pleasure. That is all I could ask of it. Will be working prepping the tank for paint today.

Enjoyed your report, T125. Beautiful Ducati.
Wow, not sure I've ever seen one of those bikes before but it looks great. My kind of bike for sure. I hope it takes you on many more good adventures. Been a reader only on this forum for awhile. Not sure I have the words or the eye for pics that many have on here. All that aside, I will be leaving here in November for good. Going home and hope to convert some dead dinosaurs and rubber into fun for a few months before I have to go to the office again. Got the urge to put some serious miles on the Norge. Please keep sharing your trips and stories with the rest of us inmates.
Ride safe man...
Enjoy that classic bike.
Ken
Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #50
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Went out for a short time today. This time last year we were in the middle of a drought. This year has been a lot better.

Spent some time trying out the top case I installed on a spare rear seat pan. Still have the original rear seat for when I don't need to haul anything--which is most of the time. Got the case off Craigslist locally for a good price. It is a Yamaha case, but I believe Givi manufactured it. Big enough to hold a jacket and a helmet. Will do nicely.

H
Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #51
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

First day since I got the SV that I've been able to just ride for the fun of it. Everybody else was working or at running camp (okay, just one of them--high school cross country runner) and I could just go.

Only got about 80 miles (the seat on the SV is unremarkable in its comfort level) but it took a few hours to do it.

I wasn't in any hurry and I am still adapting to this bike. Throttle is a bit more abrupt than I like. Has a throttle tube from a Yamaha R6 on it for quicker response, but I may swap the original back in.

Left the house and headed vaguely southwest. Very rural area.

I just picked roads I hadn't been on before, but ended up close enough to a place I took a picture of on the old bike. Slightly different angle

The ride was excellent, mostly because there was nobody out there, the temperature was in the low 70's and the humidity was low.

Indiana has a subtle beauty at this time of year.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #52
blue72beetle
Look at my Wee

Oddometer: 149
You picked an outstanding bike. I sometimes miss my '02 SV.
blue72beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #53
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue72beetle View Post
You picked an outstanding bike. I sometimes miss my '02 SV.
I love the torque this engine produces. How is your current ride different from the '02?
Old 07-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #54
blue72beetle
Look at my Wee

Oddometer: 149
If you don't mind I'll post some photos in your thread.

My '02 started out naked like yours, then I turned it into a full faired 'S' model. Last fall I got the copper '03 and I like it better so I sold the '02. Fuel injection, better headlights ( I added projectors), and I like the way the 2nd gen looks a little more than the 1st. But like I said, I sometimes miss it. I feel like it just 'fit' me a little better than the '03 I have now.

The 2nd gen '03 is bigger. Since the 1st gen is a little bit smaller it felt more... 'flickable' would be how I'd describe it. The ergos was more comfortable, but I'm still dialing this '03 in. A better seat is in the future.
Added some luggage and turned it into a sport-touring bike. Still has the same heart and soul v-twin though, love it.

blue72beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #55
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Both beautiful bikes. No intention of adding fairings to mine, but like what you did to yours.

Wandered west again today. Didn't ride as long, mostly because the seat became uncomfortable--apparently I need to work up to extended periods of time on that particular torture device.

Hit Heritage Lake, about 20 miles west. Decided to try the Givi windscreen today. I got it with the bike. Like it better without the screen.

Only took a couple of shots,

And I am your genial host on these mild adventures:

radianrider screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 09:44 PM
Old 07-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #56
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb The good stuff

As always, great stuff you post. Said it earlier about my views on the epic rides so I'll be brief here. They're nice to read about but wandering around home and seeing the stuff most people take for granted and appreciating it, that's the good stuff. My calendar is ever so slowly making it's way to the date I depart this fetid cesspool of a country. Can't tell you how much I am enjoying seeing your posts here.
All I can say is thanks man. I appreciate your posts.
Ride safe there neighbor.....
Ken
Old 07-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #57
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Keep on with these posts !
I have not been able to ride at all for fun this summer. I do commute back and forth to.work but that's it.
So we're living vicariously through you :)
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #58
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Radian

Need to show you some fun paved country roads in Putnam County... The.other end.of the county from where Heritage Lake is.

J.
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #59
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Blacktruck and jdfog2,

Good to hear from you both. Appreciate that you take the time to post up.

Keep your head down, Blacktruck. Post up a pic or two of your current local, if permitted to do so. I'd like to see where your adventure is taking you.

Jdfog2, I'd enjoy seeing more of Putnam County. Just have to bear in mind that I ride with an eye toward seeing the country, not just riding through the country. About the only time I wick it up a bit is when I'm on four-lane stuff and even then I am always looking to get off on a side road that I haven't been down. Not sure even now that the old GR wasn't better suited to my riding style.

Sorry to hear that you've only been able to commute this summer. I find that I spend the time commuting worrying about getting somewhere on time. Detracts from the ride for me. On the other hand, it beats driving

Working on a video piece about a bike shop (motorized bicycles) called National Moto + Cycle. The bikes are an homage to the boardtrack racers of the early 1900's. Shop is located in Broad Ripple area of Indy. I'll post up link when we get it done (working on it with a couple of students.)
Old 07-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #60
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb On the list of things I ain't got....

A picture hosting account. I'm a dinosaur and only tolerate computers. They are a necessary evil in my life so I'm kinda, sorta technologically challenged when it comes to them and the latest electronic stuff out there in the world that everybody is carrying. Been here for more than a couple years. For the most part, my knowledge of home and stuff back there stopped when I get here. I've only visited back to there in the ensuing years. Someday I do need to read the thread on how to do the picture posting thing. I tend to read mostly RR's that strike a particular chord with me. Dealing with minutiae of getting an account falls into the not so much column. Someday I gotta force myself to do that so I can make my feeble attempt at ADV history. Not sure there is much to see from here. At one time it was chain link fence on the perimeter. Kinda nice to see the stuff close by. Now it's tall concrete walls. I can see the mountaintops around us but this is an ugly place to be with little for redeeming values from the natives. Don't want to be negative but there isn't much to see here and damn little of value here either.
Keep up the RRs from the Heartland. Way more interesting there.
Stay safe man and ride the heck out of that bike.
Ken