Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
Jnich77 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
From Florida to New Mexico on a street bike, in the winter, on back roads.

Hello,

I am taking a little road trip from Clermont Fl, to Alamogordo NM on my 2004 919 starting tomorrow morning. Going to hit Big Bend National Park along the way and some other tourist traps and road side attractions. Once I get west of Mobile Al it will be no interstates for as long as I can tolerate.

So, here is my trusty steed. I have had her for most of her life and she is exceptionally well maintained. 50,000 miles and ready to go, I actually think she is as excited for the trip as I am. I think she gets bored with the same Florida roads year after year.

I didn't do any real modifications for the trip, just made some little fairings for the side to keep the wind off my legs and played with the wiring some. They are made out of ABS plastic I got off Ebay and bent with a heat gun on my work bench. Seem to work really well so far.

Since I was wiring in a model 60 from AdvMonster under my head light I decided to clean up wirth wiring a bit. The two relays are for my high/low beams for the head light. Using the factory wires to trigger relays ends up producing muuuch brighter lighting than stock. The maze of wiring is for the model 30 lights, model 60 light, GPS, satellite radio, volt meter, heated grips. Inside the little hobby box is a PWM controller to run the heated grips.

Here is all the lighting, one model 60 and two modem 30's. Pretty much makes it daylight when it needs to be. The model 30's are always on and the model 60 comes on with the high beam. They are all on switched circuits so I can turn them off if need be.

Here is my dash. Can't really see it, but on the left under the horn button is the volume control for the satellite radio.

I used a Ebay camera mount to hold the GPS. I ended up cutting the first inch or so off so it would look right.

Switches for the lights, pretty well hidden but easily accessible.

Bade some little fairings to mount on the forks to help with the cold air.

All packed and ready to go!!!

( sorry for the crappy pics, my phone sucks)
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
Looks like an interesting project. Depending on your timing I would probably use the Interstate to get through Baton Rouge; otherwise its one traffic light after another as are most cities.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
SamRus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Fun! Post some pics of your adventure!
SamRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Jnich77 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Looks like an interesting project. Depending on your timing I would probably use the Interstate to get through Baton Rouge; otherwise its one traffic light after another as are most cities.

Good advice, thank you.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Hey sounds like a good trip, I am not far from you in Ocoee, pretty close to Windermere. Had a 919 for a short bit and pretty comfortable riding position. Have fun!!!
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote