Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #61
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
This is my entertainment and I enjoy it.
This looks like a lot of fun:

Quote:
I am not sure who this Bonnie Bitch is you are referring to but on the off chance that you bastardized the name of a legend and are referring to a Triumph Bonneville then YOU ARE WRONG!
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #62
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Not really. It has mid controls and bars with reasonable pullback, I'd call it a 'kitchen chair' seating position, unlike the triumph bonneville.
Bonneville is a Standard
Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #63
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Bonneville is a Standard
Bonneville on the right, shadow RS on the left, some HD piece of shit in the middle.

If moving the footpegs back an inch is that big of a deal, ride on the balls of your feet instead of your heels.

Fuck me, this just isn't that complicated or interesting of a debate. The perpetual semantics and shouting, in this thread and the HD ones, is tiresome as hell. Go 'play' in CSM if this is your idea of 'fun'.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #64
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,795
Quote:
If moving the footpegs back an inch is that big of a deal, ride on the balls of your feet instead of your heels.

Fuck me, this just isn't that complicated or interesting of a debate. The perpetual semantics and shouting, in this thread and the HD ones, is tiresome as hell. Go 'play' in CSM if this is your idea of 'fun'.
Werd.

I don't get it either, Grainbelt.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #65
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Here become enlightened. http://cycle-ergo.com/

an inch.

In your own picture. from left to right. Mid, Mid, Standard. (Chair feet ahead/ Chair feet ahead /Feet under)

Nice ignorant HD bashing dig. The more you type the more stupid you appear.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 12-27-2011 at 11:12 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #66
jas67 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
THEY DON'T SELL. It is not that they are not allowed. It is that people don't buy them.

That above all is a very good reason for not bringing them here.
If it is anything like cars, where each body/drivetrain combo has to go through a very expensive EPA certification, including even things like 2 door vs. 4 door vs. wagon of the same car model with the same engine/transmission, then I would definitely understand keeping the number of models & engine combos to a minimum.

It isn't that they wouldn't sell at all, it is just that the wouldn't sell enough to pay for the certification, and would take sales away form other models.

If you don't sell any higher of units TOTAL, by bringing a new model (because the sales of that new model can compete with other models of the same make), then it is a net loss, due to the extra certification costs.

This is unfortunate for the minority that don't want what the mainstream wants -- for example, look at the dwindling availability of car models with an available manual transmission.

Back to mid-displacement engine size. I should have posted it as "mid-weight" bikes. Someone commented about a 650cc model that was sleeved to be a 400 or 450 to sell in a market with drastically higher fees or taxes on the larger displacement bikes. Well, even thought it is a 400 (or 450), it still has the weight of the larger bike. Look at the 883 Sportster. It weighs a porky 530 lbs, only about 30 lbs. shy of the 1200.

I guess I'm saying (and I think I'm not alone), I don't want a 530 + lbs cruiser, or cruiser-styled bike. I also don't want a lay-down on the tank sport bike, or even lots of fairings that are expensive to fix/replace when the bike gets dropped. I like/want a naked standard. I'm glad that Moto Guzzi makes the V7, it is a 430 lb (wet) naked standard with decent power, and I am very happy with it. It would be nice to see more bikes that fit that niche, that is all. I can't be the only person that ones that type of bike, or for that matter wants a non-sport bike that fits somewhere between the 250 "beginner bikes: and 530+ lb 900c and larger class cruiser.

The Suzuki S40 fits the bill form the displacement, hp, and weight standpoint, but it is a cruiser. If they made it in a standard, it'd be a great bike. Look at the following the TU250X is getting on this forum. There is a several hundred page thread on the TU250X. Many of the people there would buy a TU500X or TU650X if Suzuki offered it.

But, alas, as has been hashed out earlier in this thread, the mfgs, have to go for the majority.

It's been a fun thread though, eh
Honda: 01 VFR800, 76 CB400F, 68 CL175, plus other vintage Hondas.
2007 Vespa GTS250ie
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #67
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,795
Quote:

an inch.
blah blah blah.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #68
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas67 View Post
Beware the motorcycle forum during winter.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #69
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,309
Light middleweight street bikes....

Motard!

449 or 511

Snappy, torquey thumpers, very light weight, sportbike wheels and rubber!
Fantastic street bikes.

Tom in Salem
Old 12-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #70
jas67 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:

an inch.

In your own picture. from left to right. Mid, Mid, Standard. (Chair feet ahead/ Chair feet ahead /Feet under)

Cool site -- if they have accurate data.
Honda: 01 VFR800, 76 CB400F, 68 CL175, plus other vintage Hondas.
2007 Vespa GTS250ie
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #71
Tom327Cat
T-Dub rider

Oddometer: 147
Question Maybe I should have went with Royal Enfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Was told at the show Yamaha was still considering releasing the 450 in dual sport trim in 2013. Could be wrong...or wishful thinking, but I heard it from a Yamaha dealer.
I could only dream of a TW450, but if it ever happened I would sell my Versys for a loss to acquire. Might as well sell the 'ol homestead too, because all I would ever want to do is be out riding that bike.
I don't mean to disrespect the Versys here, on the highway or a long stretch of two-lane it is seven league boots, but there are too many turns you can't take for it to be the bike of my dreams.
On a related note I was riding my VS this year with a group where I had the smallest displacement, most bikes had twice the displacement of my VS . The two who didn't had highly modified liter bikes. Those two could pull away from me whenever they wanted, but they couldn't stay away. The bigger bikes, mostly cruisers, kept right up, but didn't pull to the front. This is anecdotal, I know, but I do not see what more displacement buys for you.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #72
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
The big smilie was your clue that I was kidding. Like I said before, you don't appear to be having 'fun'. May be time for a switch to decaf, or maybe toss off a load before you log on.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #73
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas67 View Post
The Suzuki S40 fits the bill form the displacement, hp, and weight standpoint, but it is a cruiser. If they made it in a standard, it'd be a great bike.

Here you go.

I am only jesting in part. It seems that almost every bike sold is in need of some modifications. Seats, Suspension, bars,.... I think we should all just accept the fact that whatever we buy we will need to make it our own.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #74
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The big smilie was your clue that I was kidding. Like I said before, you don't appear to be having 'fun'. May be time for a switch to decaf, or maybe toss off a load before you log on.
Our funny bones are out of synch.

I use cap instead of bold and you read my posts wrong.
When reading my posts read them as if we were sitting at a beer garden and it is all good natured banter. I assure you were we in such a scenario you would see that I do not take offence nor do I mean to offend.

It's all good.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #75
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Yeah, they'd never sell.....

yamaha sr400

Kawasaki W800

Honda CB1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Hey, this is ADVrider, where facts are not real important.
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote