User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,040
Ural on front page of Hammacher Schlemmer

My daughter just sent me a link to their 2012 fancy pants catalog. They have a Ural on the cover. Where can we buy stock before all the hipsters go running out to buy Urals? I guess if we all knew that if we waited long enough we'd be cutting edge.
www.Hammacher.com

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520

madeouttaglass screwed with this post 12-26-2011 at 12:04 PM
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,029
Thats Cool! And they only marked it up $1.00
Old 12-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
Mr.Mellow's WildRide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
I took a look just for the heck of it.......THIS looks interesting if you were wondering how to drive a hack and film/photograph at the same time........

Quote:
Video Recording Ski Goggles. These are the ski goggles that record a wearer's perfectly carved turns, long jumps, or aerodynamic tucks using a built-in video camera. The camera's image sensor captures high-definition 720p H.264 video footage or 5 MP still images with a wide 135º field of view. A foam guard protects the microphone, eliminating the sound of the wind. Simple lever-style buttons at the corner of the goggles allows use while wearing skiing gloves. The goggles are compatible with helmets and have dual-pane, anti-fog 100% UV-protected lenses. An included 4 GB microSD card stores up to 120 minutes of 1280 x 720 resolution videos and thousands of 2592 x 1944 resolution still images; supports up to 32 GB microSD cards. Downloading content is as simple as plugging the goggles into a PC running Windows 7, Vista, XP, or a Mac via the included USB cable; playback requires Quicktime. It can connect to a television using the included RCA cable. Its rechargeable battery provides up to two hours of operation from a two-hour charge from a USB connection. One size fits most. 8 1/2" W x 4 1/2" W x 3 3/4" D. (6 oz.)
Of course, it then says....

Price $249.95

We regret that this item is no longer available.

But SOMEBODY has to be making these and you could probably get a better price.....

Like, for instance:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGgQ8wIwAA

and:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&g...arch%3Dsearch=

Mr.Mellow's WildRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
They showcased them on some U.S. morning TV show too, I think someone had a link to a Youtube clip of it. I wouldn't worry about it, it's still a niche bike.
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Why not just get a Go Pro and mount it to your helmet?
Old 12-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
I'm willing to bet there's going to be ton of lightly used Urals on the road shortly. . .

Bargain time?

Old 12-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Motorcycle sales have been on life support for a while now. Some would blame the economy which is
no doubt a factor but the lack of interesting product clearly is part of it. The whole pirates & power ranger
thing is largely played out now, the manufactures just haven't figured it out yet. A bike like the Ural is
way out in left field but in a sea of chrome and molded plastic, it stands out, why it's presence in the
popular media far outstrip it's sales. I've had a number of bikes over the years but only two have had
people following me down the street to ask about them, the Ural and the W650 before it. Both I guess are
the kind of bikes people like to dream about. Now, if they'd just by enough of them to support that dream....
Old 12-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
There was a fancy pants catalog based in Lexington, Ky. while they were in bussiness . They went by the name J.Peterman and sold all sorts of odd ball stuff at highly inflated prices.
They were so trendy for a while they were even parodied on the TV show Sienfeild.
When they hit a rough patch, i. e. the yuppies quit buying in , I went to the local branch and tried to buy the Ural they used as a display and as a prop in the catalog. They said they couldn't sell it because , [a] they weren't dealers. [b] it wasn't leagal.

Bottom line . No extra Urals sold due to this conection.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

But these guys are selling them and if they get trendy for a while it will be easier to buy them cheaply.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
Mr.Mellow's WildRide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Why not just get a Go Pro and mount it to your helmet?
Don't really want to argue the relative merits because I know NOTHING about either really.

Just posted it for general interest.

The SCUBA goggles are very interesting.
Mr.Mellow's WildRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider33 View Post
Motorcycle sales have been on life support for a while now. Some would blame the economy which is
no doubt a factor but the lack of interesting product clearly is part of it. The whole pirates & power ranger
thing is largely played out now, the manufactures just haven't figured it out yet. A bike like the Ural is
way out in left field but in a sea of chrome and molded plastic, it stands out, why it's presence in the
popular media far outstrip it's sales. I've had a number of bikes over the years but only two have had
people following me down the street to ask about them, the Ural and the W650 before it. Both I guess are
the kind of bikes people like to dream about. Now, if they'd just by enough of them to support that dream....
Strangely, every time SDAMC goes for a ride lots of people stop and talk to us. Must be the Nortons, BSA's, and Indians.

You do know that the appearance of a Ural on the cover of the H-S catalog will completely destroy any hope of street cred. There appears to be a typo in the catalog, or it's a special edition Ural for H-S which they described as a 5 speed (in fact it is a six speed with 4 forward, 1 reverse and Russian OD).

lemieuxmc screwed with this post 12-26-2011 at 09:39 PM
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #12
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
My first car was a '59 MB180a that a Sargent had brought back after his tour of duty in Germany. It was in sorrowful shape but had soul, in marked contrast to the other cars in the HS parking lot at the time. It was just a 4 banger with 3 on the tree and much like the Ural you only needed one of those gears about 98% of the time. Most of the stuff you think you need you eventually find out is superfluous. On the Ural that would be 4th I think.