Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #31
twoweels_mj
Twoweels_mj

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermos View Post
#1- Mine is reliable, can't speak for others

#2 - I would say that they are easy to wrench on. If I can you can too!

#3 - Easy to find replacement part for? Mostly yes. On my cross country trip, I carried some of the parts that are particular to Ural, but didn't need them(except a brake spring)

#4- My rig cost a little more to insure than my former HD sportster. Shop around, as some insurance providers would not cover sidecar rigs/Ural.

-Tom
When I was in Illinois I wanted to have a bike trip to a cycle shop that had the Urals.
Would love to have one some day.

So my dog can go with me on trips!

I need to start saving my pennies.

2009 BMW1200gs ADV

"I have learned the most by just trying to learn as much as I can before I partake in an endevor and then just do it" There is no greater teacher than experience.
twoweels_mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #32
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Why Ural?

I've been looking at them for almost 25 years: grey imports in Europe first, with so many problems, a couple of time in USSR/Russia happy to know they were going through everything, test rode a solo in 2000 at a car dealer in Redwood city... was not really impressed! Still, they kind of looked "romantic" ... After a nasty accident in 09 I began to sell a lot of my bikes, bought a Can Am Spyder and now the Gear Up is here... ready for dirt roads, dual rides etc.. I have to admit that it fits my "wanting to be different" bone!
Philippe
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #33
Fullbore
subterranean adv

Oddometer: 9
Because I Can!

I bought my Ural for several practical reasons. First, I cold take my dog with me (she goes to work everyday) Second, I am an avid sport shooter and having the ability to carry long guns and ammo really appealed to me. However the biggest issue had nothing to do with practicality but more about context.

I have worked for the last 25 years in the DoD mostly with Cold War related weapon systems. I worked with the Consolidated Threat Reduction Agency to help remove the former Soviet Era ICBM’s from the Ukraine among many other programs, now known only to history. I am a weapons guy, a gearhead and a collector of things which is why I started working on and continue to curate a museum program dedicated to preserving the story of our Nation’s ballistic missile and space capabilities. That story cannot be told without discussing treaties and the evolution of the Soviet era and the Russian transition to a free economy.

So, for a cold war nuke guy to be able to purchase with US Dollars, essentially a Russian military motorcycle, still produced on the original weapon assembly line by a commercially owned company that is largely made up of people that worked there under Communist rule but now have the freedom to succeed or fail economically on their own…well to me that is a particular kind of poetry. I’d call that a win for everyone. When I ride to work and park it front of my office at the museum located on the SLC-10 National Historic Landmark it just seems pretty damn full circle to me. I can’t wait till our next treaty inspection when the Russians come out to visit. Odds are they won’t even comment… unlike when I drove my Jeep CJ to a treaty inspection. They all had their picture taken with the Jeep. They said it was cool… a symbol of Americana. I guess that is much like my Ural being a symbol of the USSR, the Cold War and now the Russian Federation. It’s a working (most of the time) cultural artifact. --Fullbore
Attached Images

Fullbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #34
Witness
Me

Oddometer: 465
My Story

I crashed my Buell in NC in May 2011, and broke my femur, the bike was undamaged.

In order to continue riding in 2011, I sold the Buell and bought the Ural and picked it up July 1, 2011.

I lost 47 days of riding but was still able to get 12,000 kms on the Ural including a solo ride around Lake Superior.

The day I picked it up

Manitoulin Island

Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #35
Sgt_Monster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I'll share mine...

This is a copy of my first post in the blog about my Ural Adventure...http://myuralandme.blogspot.com/

Well. I went and lost my mind.
First let me give you a little background, just so we start from the same place, OK?
I am 40 years old with an awesome wife, a 2 year old son and way too many hobbies.

I practice full-contact stick fighting based on medieval combat. My wife also plays.
I play tactical paintball, hell I'm even on a team sponsored by a local field. My wife also plays.
I also wrench and ride motorcycles for fun. My wife also plays.

I come from a family of gearheads. One of my first memories is of a Panhead motor in the kitchen sink when I was a lil tot.
My Da rides, my brother rides...hell even my Mom has her own bike.
So motorcycles are part of my life.
For my birthday last year my Da gifted me a 1987 Harley Electra-Glide.
This wasn't just any bike...this was my Da's bike.
I lusted after that bike for nearly 15 years while he had it. Always begging to ride it...Hell, I thought about 'stealing' it on more than one occasion.
Then one day, he drives up from the old family homestead in Louisiana to my place near Chicago with it on a trailer, and signs the title over to me.
Needless to say, I was kinda floored.
But before you start thinking I promptly rode off into the sunset on it, I should come clean about a few things.
The bike has...Issues.
It isn't a basketcase, but it's not minty either.
Nothing major...just little stuff. Some electrical gremlins, the rear brake sticks, the paint is scuffed up, one of the saddlebags has a crack in the lid. Little stuff.
And my Da and I have a little different taste in aesthetics, pretty much every bike I have ever had has been
painted either flat black or OD green. Some examples...

I call this one Dingo.

The wife on her bike...it's named Plan B.
This bike has a wicked flame paintjob.

One of these things is not like the other...
So needless to say I needed to get to work.
Well..there is one lil tidbit of background info I forgot to mention.
I am currently without a paying job. I am working all the time, but seeing how I am working on starting a company with some buddies of mine...nothing PAYING just yet. So I have a limited budget...very limited.
As in none.
Well...having owned Harleys in the past I'll let ya in on a lil secret I learned the hard way.
That HD stamped on all those parts doesn't mean Harley Davidson. It means Hundred Dollars.
So..I can't really do a rehab on the FLH. And I find I can't really ride a bunch anymore since we had our son, and me and the wife sure as shooting can't ride together, cause then there is nowhere to put The Boy.
So I start looking a something I have been interested in for years...a sidecar rig. I can't buy one, but I can look.
I have always wanted a sidecar for lots of reason.
Indiana Jones movies, Rat Patrol, Mad Max...blah blah. You get it or ya don't.
Plus...I have been thinking about something since The Boy was born.
As I said, I come from a family of gearheads and riders, and I always remember my Da working on bikes.
I remember wanting soooo bad to go with him when I was little. I did get to go, when I was bigger, for little jaunts around town. Hell I even got lil mini-bikes and stuff to tool around the yard.
Thing is...if I want to ride with my family in the near term, well, it ain't gonna happen.
But maybe if I had a sidecar rig....hmmmm. (see how this thought process goes? )
Well, in my cruising around the Internet, looking at sidecar rigs for sale...hell even just looking for a side car to slap on the FLH...I find out there is a Ural dealer in town. So I go down to the showroom and take a look at some of the Russian rigs. I find them very much suited to my taste. They ain't fast...they ain't flashy, and they are basically the same as they where when they started making them back in the '40s. So far so good.
Then we get to talking price....a new one starts at $10,000. Well...there goes that idea. If I can't afford to fix the FLH, I sure as shooting can't afford that.
But I do what every gearhead does...I keep looking at craigslist/eBay/Cycle Trader hoping to see an ad for a free bike with delivery.
Then I see a used Ural listed at shop in Wisconsin. Hmmm... An email was sent. A reply came back.
A lot of haggleing and horse trading later...I traded the FLH for a Ural sidecar rig, and made a little profit.

The Boy gives his approval.

Tucked in for it's first night in it's new home.

So I got it home,and did the first thing any real gearhead does with a new motorcycle.
I tore it apart.

Well...I'm glad I did. There are some bad wires in the electrical system, and some gunk in the carbs. But nothing that can't be fixed cheap and easy. Overall the rig is in good shape. The motor has a little over 5000 kilometers on it...chump change, and it looks good. First impressions of it are what I expected. It's ain't fast...or flashy. It is easy to work on, and from my research parts are easier to find than you'd think and they are cheap to boot. Well, cheap for motorcycle parts.
Is it a good trade for the FLH?
Hard to say.
Does it 'mean' as much to me as my Da's bike?
No. But I hope this rig will mean as much to The Wife,The Boy and myself in the future.
I think it will, because it can do one thing the FLH couldn't.
Let us all eat the same bugs.

Together.
Sgt_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #36
RickH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullbore View Post
I bought my Ural for several practical reasons. First, I cold take my dog with me (she goes to work everyday) Second, I am an avid sport shooter and having the ability to carry long guns and ammo really appealed to me. However the biggest issue had nothing to do with practicality but more about context.

I have worked for the last 25 years in the DoD mostly with Cold War related weapon systems. I worked with the Consolidated Threat Reduction Agency to help remove the former Soviet Era ICBM’s from the Ukraine among many other programs, now known only to history. I am a weapons guy, a gearhead and a collector of things which is why I started working on and continue to curate a museum program dedicated to preserving the story of our Nation’s ballistic missile and space capabilities. That story cannot be told without discussing treaties and the evolution of the Soviet era and the Russian transition to a free economy.

So, for a cold war nuke guy to be able to purchase with US Dollars, essentially a Russian military motorcycle, still produced on the original weapon assembly line by a commercially owned company that is largely made up of people that worked there under Communist rule but now have the freedom to succeed or fail economically on their own…well to me that is a particular kind of poetry. I’d call that a win for everyone. When I ride to work and park it front of my office at the museum located on the SLC-10 National Historic Landmark it just seems pretty damn full circle to me. I can’t wait till our next treaty inspection when the Russians come out to visit. Odds are they won’t even comment… unlike when I drove my Jeep CJ to a treaty inspection. They all had their picture taken with the Jeep. They said it was cool… a symbol of Americana. I guess that is much like my Ural being a symbol of the USSR, the Cold War and now the Russian Federation. It’s a working (most of the time) cultural artifact. --Fullbore
That's a good story, which I suspect only us ex-Cold Warriors can really appreciate!!

Rick, ex-US Naval Security Group, 68-72
Old 12-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #37
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,102
These are all great stories.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #38
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
About family

It started in 2002 with a trip to Sturgis on the Buell with the wife, I thought I would have my bike all to myself after hauling her 5000 miles but it was not to be. Fast foreward she had an awful auto accident and now has health issues but still wanted to ride with me so in 2008 we got a 07 Ural Retro and she claims it is her bike and I am to drive her around and keep it clean and tuned, it is a new chapter in our life together since the Buell infected her with "the bug". To be fair I also blame Mr Cob because he shares all the Ural fun he has Hi Dave hope all is well with you.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #39
Norms 427
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I wanted to ride to Alaska and back. Do I go on my KLR 650? Or, wouldn't a Ural be far more interesting and fun?

It was
Attached Images

Norms 427 screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 06:50 AM
Norms 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #40
Mr.Mellow's WildRide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norms 427 View Post
I wanted to ride to Alaska and back. But on what? My KLR 650? Yeah ... but, wait, wouldn't a Ural be far more interesting and fun?

Yup, it was, the trip of a lifetime.
...........Bee You Tee Full Shot...........
Mr.Mellow's WildRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #41
madoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Early 60's ural for maybe 6/7 years ?

It's for life and not just for christmas
Attached Images

madoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #42
Splisken
I'm not dead yet...

Oddometer: 127
Wow...awesome thread even if too short so far! The Ural Gear-up has just become my dream bike (don't own one...yet). I have always had an interest in older military motorcycles (never owned one) and I even checked out the Urals in the early 90's but the reliability factor and parts availability was dismal in the US at that time. I now notice that there is a Ural dealer in a town very close to me though they only have the Patrol in stock at the moment. I'll be checking them out very soon. Please keep the stories and photos coming and thanks for sharing.

Anyone have ride reports of long haul dual sport adventures on them? That's what I'd love to do with this machine. I love the thought of an all terrain machine that doesn't temp me to get airborne every 10 seconds. Can it be ridden all day long comfortably (realizing that is a relative term). How about for a tall rider (6' 5")?
Splisken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:46 PM   #43
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,102
Hi Splisken,
Matt and his wife are the ones you want to read about. Three nights of reading their stories about life on the road with their Gear Up got me off my butt to buy one. It looks like their site is down for some work. here is some of it though:
http://bugsonmyface.com/tag/ural/

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #44
Sgt_Monster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splisken View Post
Anyone have ride reports of long haul dual sport adventures on them? That's what I'd love to do with this machine. I love the thought of an all terrain machine that doesn't temp me to get airborne every 10 seconds. Can it be ridden all day long comfortably (realizing that is a relative term). How about for a tall rider (6' 5")?
http://www.thetimelessride.com/
http://smilesandmiles.com/
a few other than Bugs on my Face.
enjoy....

Also if ya have never seen the Amazing Mr Cob...
http://youtu.be/iz1sTwI536k
Sgt_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:39 PM   #45
SkagitStan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I hadn't ridden since an R50/5 back in the '70s.

On their 2009 trip to Alaska, Sharon and Elmer (Abenteuerfahrer) stopped to visit us. Sharon and my wife were best friends growing up, but hadn't seen each other in many years. Soon as I saw their beautiful, bright yellow rig, it brought back fond riding memories.

After they left, I followed their Alaska thread (http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post10028114).
At some point in there, Elmer got kinda stuck in sand and mentioned that a Ural would have been useful about then.

I'd never heard of a Ural, so visited the website. I think I got hooked at that instant. After about a half year obsessing, we visited UralNW (conveniently < 1 hr away), rode around a bit on their lot, and made the final plunge.
This has probably been the most happy-making purchase I've ever made
So, without further ado, introducing Sara the Hack

P1010522 (Medium) by skagitstan, on Flickr