Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #61
steelhorseadv
Zombie Killer

Oddometer: 10
Thanks for the welcome "madeottaglass". Guess you'll be riding back to N.Y. with the new baby. What a great trip for a new rig. Hope all goes well on the extended trip. We'll keep our good thoughts for cooperative weather for both of us!
Ed and Judy
Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #62
aholecop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Laugh how i got a ural

i work about 20 min. from NYC while working 1 day i spotted what i thought was an old BMW military bike. After meeting the owner i discovered it was a 2004 ural! never heard of Ural so i checked the web, read up a little on them . im a harley guy and was "between' bikes at the time. again checking the web i noticed there was NONE for sale used, luckily there was a dealer close to me who had a Gear-up but it was an odd color? a quick check with Sovietsteeds.com and i found out why it was odd.i then went and bought my 2007 Gear-up Arctic addition and love it
aholecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #63
QatarRider
Qatar Rider

Oddometer: 45
I saw 'Olga' outside the offices of my agent, in Doha, Qatar, the only Ural in the country. I have a Dnepr as well, so recognised it straight away. I made some enquiries, discovered it was for sale, she had my name written all over it, it had to be!
QatarRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #64
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,847
Technically, mine's a KMZ (Dnepr) rig, so you may not want to read my post...
I returned to Germany after a tour of Iraq in 2004. Thursday evenings were getting boring at the bowling alley reading Stars & Stripes while my wife played slot machines, so I bought a German version of an auto trader. I wanted something old to restore and drive around and thought an old WWII BMW motorcycle would be cool. (Not too fast, so my wife would approve. I had a two boys under three years old and didn't want to tempt myself on a crotch-rocket on the autobahn.)
I couldn't understand at the time why the R-71's were three to five times the price of an identical M-72!!! The K-750's looked like an even better deal as they were even cheaper and had better suspension. No other pre-1960's bikes had significant displacement: it was rare to find anything bigger than 500cc. So, I searched around for the best deal and got a late 1950's K-750 out of Poland.
Then, I got drunk one night and bought a 1962 K-750 off German eBay real cheap.
Then, I got deployed again and found a (motorcycle only) 1959 IMZ (Ural) M-72 on my base in Iraq and brought it back as a war trophy.
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #65
Paint shaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint shaker View Post
I first saw a Ural or Dnepr side hack in the early 2000s... So... Not on a Ural yet

UPDATED: Now on a 1997 Ural with 2008 Engine/tranny/Final Drive/electronics.

www.paintshakerracing.com
Paint shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #66
BRAAAP
Lil' RC!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermos View Post
I started riding 2 wheel bikes in college. I love riding on two wheels, but my problem has been my everyday life that gets in the way of riding them. Being a music teacher, I'm constantly carting around instruments, music, equipment of some sort, which immediately rules out motorcycling as a commuting option when you need to transport a baritone saxophone. I had never thought about sidecars until about 4-5 years ago when around 5 o'clock in the morning one day, watching the news, drinking coffee, I spot a commercial for a Ural dealer in Poland, Maine. Sidecars...5 minutes from my house? Never heard of the guy(I thought I knew where all the motorcycle dealers where in Maine.

So I stopped by, checked them out, then again, then again. again. I think I looked at them for about 3-4 years before pulling the trigger.

It boiled down to the ability to carry a ton of stuff, a unique rig to travel the country on(see blog below if interested), something I could commute on 4 seasons(I would get seriously depressed when I put the two wheeled bike away), and be able to do some off road riding.

Pics from yesterday/day before.

-Tom
just so your aware, the laptop i have on my goldwing has a retarded amount of pictures of your bike on it. i went photo happy last summer when you were parked out front of ace hardware. you rolled up when i was eating china gray, whipped the phone out and went nuts. nice ride man!
1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade - Sold
2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - Sold
BRAAAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #67
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1OJU View Post
just so your aware, the laptop i have on my goldwing has a retarded amount of pictures of your bike on it. i went photo happy last summer when you were parked out front of ace hardware. you rolled up when i was eating china gray, whipped the phone out and went nuts. nice ride man!
Glad you liked my rig!

-T
Thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #68
Fullbore
subterranean adv

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1OJU View Post
That line just made my day. I was out with Yuri (my epileptic tricycle) filming a ride for "Sidetrak'n" and stopped to fuel up just before returning home. While fueling, a nice fella quickly pulls up to the pump and jumps out of his truck with a smile on his face like he just saw the Easter Bunny (typical UDF). Well, he asks if he can take some pictures and we chat a bit. He befriended my Sidetrak'n project on Facebook and posted his pictures to his friends. It was cool to read how his friends commented on his pictures and how their imagination was triggered and they only saw the pictures and read his post. Pretty cool.

On of the coolest things about cruising around on my Ural is that it effects people beyond "me" or the moment. When riding my other bikes around, people would comment "nice bike"....the end, not that that was the objective, just an observation. When I ride the Ural people experience it. It makes them "engage". The come out of their shell. They take something away with them. Its a catalyst for the adventure spirit inside them. Oddly I feel like I like I have contributed something to a bigger purpose. Like an ambassador for "good stories." Its not about me or even the bike...it's about them. Yuri and I are just the catalyst for their imagination. Thats not the reason for riding just a benefit. However, it is largely the reason for starting the project.... making one story lead to another.

See you out there...

Fullbore
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #69
mgmuellner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I started riding 33 years ago, when I was 5 yrs old. My parents saw the writing on the wall when I spent a weekend pushing a mini bike up a hill, just so I could ride it down again. The next weekend I had that mini bike & we got it running. First real ride, with a motor, was full throttle straight into the side of our neighbors house. I was hooked. Later in my youth I graduated to a z50, xr80 & then started racing MX. My mother used my bikes as payment for her divorce & I went bikeless for a few years during high school & college.

The bug just wouldnt die, after I was married & somewhat settled, I convinced my wife that I needed a motorcycle. We agreed that we would work towards having a baby & I could get a bike. Win win! As a new rider I went to all the bike nights, races & bike shows I could find. And at a show I saw a Ural sidecar. It was so cool. Every year I'd sit on one, pick up a brochure & wait for the proper time. In the meantime I bought & sold, but mostly bought, vintage bikes from the 70's and 80's - plus a few sportbikes.

Last year was finally the proper time. I had the money, the desire, done the research, had consent from my lovely wife. I spent a long time searching craigslist & ebay for a post 2006. To the point my wife was getting sick of hearing me talk about it & told me to go get a new one. And that's when I found the one I wanted on ebay. Good price, nice add-on's - and I had the winning bid!

The next day I bought a one way ticket to Chicago. Loaded up my tools in a backpack & went to retrieve the bike. Freight was more than I wanted to spend, as was renting a truck. I decided to ride it home (about 8-9 hrs drive). I ran out of gas once & drove all night basically wide open drafting semi trucks, but I made it. What a ride!

That was last summer & since then I have put on 6-7k km's. Just one big trip, up to Ashland WI. Lots of trips to town & this winter it's had it's share of tearing up the yard. Next year I'll do the twat or tmat (it goes past my house).
mgmuellner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #70
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
So what makes this Ural "epileptic"?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #71
1lurker
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I have been looking for a sidecar rig for a while... A few weeks ago a 1999 Ural Tourist came up on Craigslist...$3k.... kind of running... went looked at it, wheeled and dealed paid $2500, brought it home put fresh gas in..... runs great!!! I love the old school look and feel for the bike!!! I have had 3 people stop and talk to me about it in my driveway while I unloaded it off the trailer and took my first few rides up and down the street!!!
1lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #72
mishaparem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
My grandpa owned an ural single back in 1960s. My mom would ride on the gas tank to school when she was like 5.

Apparently back then it was a common problem that the carb would flood in rainy weather.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
mishaparem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #73
camaroz1985
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Had been looking for over a year, but not seriously. Then it hit me that any sidecar rig was pretty much more expensive than my current bike (Kawasaki Versys). I decided that if I was going to get a sidecar (and I really really wanted to), now was better than waiting another year and having the value of the Versys depreciate even more.

I looked at V-stroms, and KLRs with the intent of adding a sidecar. I also found a few Urals that were affordable, but older. I had pretty much ruled out a Ural because I couldn't find any newer ones (750 with disc brake) in my price range. I then found a 2006 Raven "locally" (less than 100 miles away), and it was less than any of the other comparables I found even as much as 400 miles away. It was also at a dealer, and they gave me nearly as much for my Versys as a trade as I was asking for it in a private sale, so I went to look at it. Everything looked good, and felt solid (it only had 1878 kms), so I made the deal.

That was a week ago, and I haven't regretted my choice one bit.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #74
Nuttymopar
Never a Dull Moment

Oddometer: 7
BMW to Ural

Had a 87 Ninja back in the early 90's. Went way too fast and learned a few things from it. Haven't ridden for 20 years and picked up a wonderful 99 BMW K1200 RS with very low miles on it, mint looking. Drove that for the short season we have in Vermont. Have thought about a Ural but never checked them out. My truck died and needed work so was heading down to Mass to drop that off and knew of Ural of New England was that way. We talked on the phone and lined up the purchase of a 2011 Patrol (2wd). Looked funny having the BMW in the bed of my Truck which happened to be on a Flatbed heading 4 hours south to get fixed. LOL

But loved this past winter being able to ride when I wanted to. Wife never wanted to even sit on my BMW, she loves riding in the Ural.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #75
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Saw a Ural at the Toronto Bike Show back about 8 to 10 years ago and was fascinated.

Did some research but was a bit put off by the distributor in Canada at the time.

Then I went back for a serious look in 2006 and found that there was a new distributor in Peterborough, the bike quality had been substantially improved, and they had a Gear Up demo that was available for the cash I had handy without having to finance.

And that was the start of the love affair.

Because the demo was driven by the shop owner and was used to show off the new and improved Ural, it had been thoroughly sorted out so I have had few issues in the past 6 years, just changing fluids, tires and checking clearances. Probably a better experience than if I had bought it brand new.

There was an interesting spin off story, like every other Ural owner I joined all the forums to learn and at some point was chatting with someone about 2wd motorcycles and was the Ural the only one in production.

I mentioned that as a kid, I faithfully watched Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and had always been fascinated by the Rokon 2wd dirt bikes that Marlin and Jim used while filming. Last I had ever seen of them was an early 70's article in a car magazine showing the author driving up a tree trunk.

I had assumed they were no longer around, but my fellow forum member helpfully advised me they were still in production in New Hampshire.

So, on the heels of buying the Ural, I ordered a Rokon Ranger, and then a second one for my son.

I was reaching the age where I wanted to have all the toys that were not within my reach when younger, now I do.

So I became a Uralista and a Rokoneer in the same year. Now much poorer but happy.

PS, I also bought a 2006 Honda ST1300A and although I love having it for those fast and long trips, it doesn't get a lot of miles each year.....

Montague screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 01:35 PM
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote