User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #526
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Hi Brian, received my MM10's.
Now waiting on the mounts before I can install.

Quick question for the Tiger 800xc owners, where do you guys wire for the switch so that power is keyed and goes on/off by ignition only?

Thanks.
Dave
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #527
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post

Quick question for the Tiger 800xc owners, where do you guys wire for the switch so that power is keyed and goes on/off by ignition only?

Thanks.
Dave
Dave,

Under the fuel tank you will find a 3 and 4 pin connector.

3 pin = Heated grips

4 pin = Accessory lights

Both of these have a Blue and a Purple wire on them... one is always on and the other is switched. I cant recall off the top of my head which is which??

You can test for power with the key off once you've removed the fuel tank. I'd use the 4 pin (4 wire) connector to splice into once youve figured out which is which. This is the place where the OEM lights plug in.

Maybe someone can chime in and point out which wire is powered only when key is on (Blue or Purple) ?

(hardware kit is on the way)
thanks,
-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #528
timbercat
Texas ADV Rider

Oddometer: 134
Quote:

Thanks.
Dave
I just mounted attaching the hot to the new lights switch to the blue hot on the horn. This blue wire connects into the yellow that powers the small light located between and below the head lights. I selected the horn hot because of ease of access. Working well so far.
http://tinyurl.com/timbercat-spot
Texas to Georgia to Texas to Washington State to Texas. (15 States) - June 2013
timbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #529
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
We do not.

We were working on this last year, but just not enough time in the day. At this point its safe to say we will let our reputation and feedback speak for the MM10's.

thanks,
-Brian
Hi Brian thanks, I asked because like another popular led light thread with raving reviews I bought a set but thought they were crap so wanted a bit more info beforehand.

Thanks anyway.

sent using my fingers and voodoo magic.
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #530
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Take this as a compliment or a story of caution

It was the first night it stayed above zero since last fall so my buddy and I head out for a ride. I show him my new lights and he says "oh, you're gonna get stopped". I say no way...and if I do, I'll just tell'em I just put them on...wasn't sure of the aiming, etc.

Well we leave my alley and enter traffic. 10 seconds later a cop lets us pass and turns on the blue+reds

I pull over. He asks if they're HID, says they are WAY too bright and to keep them off, Save them for off-road.

We found some gravel later in the night to give them a good test. My buddy says "send me the link to where you got those...". I guess you can expect another order.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #531
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee View Post

It was the first night it stayed above zero since last fall so my buddy and I head out for a ride. I show him my new lights and he says "oh, you're gonna get stopped". I say no way...and if I do, I'll just tell'em I just put them on...wasn't sure of the aiming, etc.

Well we leave my alley and enter traffic. 10 seconds later a cop lets us pass and turns on the blue+reds

I pull over. He asks if they're HID, says they are WAY too bright and to keep them off, Save them for off-road.

We found some gravel later in the night to give them a good test. My buddy says "send me the link to where you got those...". I guess you can expect another order.
I was pulled over for speeding at night by an LAPD Moto cop. He cited me for speeding but inquired where he could get the Aux lights I had for his personal bike.

I have mine mounted on the fork fender mounts, aimed down and out to cover periferels.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #532
Flyboy52219
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Installed my MM10's today. Took a few hours...most of the work is getting the tank off. This is my only complaint about my Tiger 800 XC. Too much plastic! Anyway the lights were packed perfectly. Overall the quality looks great. The Tiger 800 Mounts consisted of stainless steel bolts, spacers, and washers. Nice clean install. Love the look of these as compared with the the Triumph fogs. The lights are super bright, the point where they mount on the windscreen angles them outward slightly so. Just where I wanted them to. I took TIMBERCATs advice and used the horn for hot from the switch. Completely painless. Switch is mounted on the reservoir. Speaking of which, the switch doesn't look all that weatherproof...just hope it is. Maybe Brian can confirm this. Rode tonight and am completely satisfied with the looks, quality, and brightness level. They almost look integrated as part of the design of the bike. A few pictures of the install. Thanks again Brian and MondoMoto's.

Flyboy52219 screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 12:23 PM
Flyboy52219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #533
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,338
If I can find a way to mount these to my Bandit, I think I may be ordering some soon! Cool stuff!
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #534
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
@The Toad (Brian)
Ok, I've used the 3pin connector for my Oxford heaterz. So the 4 pin I should find.
I also was hoping I could install without taking the tank off. But if I must, then I'll have no choice but to just do it.

I wondered if there was a connector I could just wire to make this plug and play. Would this connector work?
Multilock 4 Way Female Connector
http://www.simtekuk.co.uk/product.ph.../?k=:::1593908

I'm keeping an eye out for the light mounts. Thx.

@flyboy52219
Thanks for the install pictorial.
Any pics of the switch wire to horn?
Did you use Posi-Tap to connect or other?
Would it be possible to install and run wiring without tank removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbercat View Post
I just mounted attaching the hot to the new lights switch to the blue hot on the horn. This blue wire connects into the yellow that powers the small light located between and below the head lights. I selected the horn hot because of ease of access. Working well so far.
Hi Timbercat, nice to have options.
Do you have pics of how and where you wired the switch wire?

Did you use a Posi-Tap connector, if so, which size gauge for the wires?
I'm guessing it might be the Posi-Tap rated for 12-18gauge.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm still new to trying to do the work on my bike myself. I'm a work in progress I suppose.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help.
Dave
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #535
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee View Post

Sounds like the police in Winnipeg might have too much time on their hands. I imagine Canada must have something on the books that state the amount of lumens that are legal for street use... I know we do in states as well as most of Europe. Its one of those things that could be very hard to "fight".. or prove.. but might be worth looking into ?

We are located about halfway between Detroit and Flint.... maybe we can export some actual police work up north of the border

-Brian
Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #536
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy52219 View Post
Installed my MM10's today. Took a few hours...most of the work is getting the tank off. This is my only complaint about my Tiger 800 XC. Too much plastic! Anyway the lights were packed perfectly. Overall the quality looks great. The Tiger 800 Mounts consisted of stainless steel bolts, spacers, and washers. Nice clean install. Love the look of these as compared with the the Triumph fogs. The lights are super bright, the point where they mount on the windscreen angles them outward slightly so. Just where I wanted them to. I took TIMBERCATs advice and used the horn for hot from the switch. Completely painless. Switch is mounted on the reservoir. Speaking of which, the switch doesn't look all that weatherproof...just hope it is. Maybe Brian can confirm this. Rode tonight and am completely satisfied with the looks, quality, and brightness level. They almost look integrated as part of the design of the bike. A few pictures of the install. Thanks again Brian and MondoMoto's.

Many thanks for the review and photos

-Brian
Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #537
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Quote:
@The Toad (Brian)
Ok, I've used the 3pin connector for my Oxford heaterz. So the 4 pin I should find.
I also was hoping I could install without taking the tank off. But if I must, then I'll have no choice but to just do it.

I wondered if there was a connector I could just wire to make this plug and play. Would this connector work?
Multilock 4 Way Female Connector
http://www.simtekuk.co.uk/product.ph.../?k=:::1593908

I'm keeping an eye out for the light mounts. Thx.

@flyboy52219
Thanks for the install pictorial.
Any pics of the switch wire to horn?
Did you use Posi-Tap to connect or other?
Would it be possible to install and run wiring without tank removal?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm still new to trying to do the work on my bike myself. I'm a work in progress I suppose.

Dave
Dave,

that connector will mate up with the 4 pin under the tank to avoid using the posi-tap. There are other options (place to tap for power) to avoid removing the tank (i.e. horn wire), but taking off the tank is more intimidating than difficult. Just keep your track of the screws from the plastics and be patient. An empty or near empty tank takes a little of the weight off as well.

-Brian
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #538
timbercat
Texas ADV Rider

Quote:
@The Toad (Brian)
I also was hoping I could install without taking the tank off.

Dave
Sorry Dave, I didn't take pictures of the wiring connection. I used the fast connect that was included with the lights.
I didn't remove the tank, just the upper body work on one side and there was plenty of space to run to the battery.

Switch mount

oFF

On
Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #539
Flyboy52219
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Hi Dave - didn't take any pics of the horn wire but here is what I did... Since I had the beak off anyway I disconnected the horn, used a bit of dialectic grease, striped a bit of the red wire from the switch and curled it on the horn prong. Then slipped the terminal back on over. Connection is so tight it's not going to go anywhere. If it ever does will splice in. Don't think I will ever need to though. It's possible to wire without removing the tank but I don't think you will have the ability to totally hide the wiring. I think the extra effort to remove the tank makes the job look professional. Plus I want to get proficient removing the tank in case I ever need to while on the road. It's not hard, not much you can screw up, as long as you do it I'm steps. I could probably remove the tank in 20 minutes or so if I really had to. Follow the instructions that have been posted here or on other forums and you will be fine. Reach out if you need any help.
Flyboy52219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #540
timbercat
Texas ADV Rider

Triumph Tiger 800XC headlights are pretty good compared to other bikes I ride with. I say this only so that you don't think I took pictures of a ringer bike or something.
Here is the night photos of the tiger lights on low beam followed by the same low beams and mondo moto's

OMG.. What is Leo going to say.....

They still need little adjusting,