User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Pitster OP
miniac

Oddometer: 346
My "kitchen sink" hauler......

Now I can take everything including the kitchen sink....

First off I want to say I am not interested in producing these type of trailers however to purchases a similar type product go to moto-mule.com Mr. Bracket has done an excellent job of building quality affordable adventure type trailers for fellow adv riders.

When I go on adventures with a passenger ( usually one of my kids) on my 950se, I find a need to take more gear, I have seen many versions of adventure trailers on the site and decided to take a stab at building one myself. I still need to finish the "skid plate" but this is what I came up with……………..

Thoughts…….?

www.nomadrider.com Adventure luggage and gear

Pitster screwed with this post 12-27-2011 at 10:04 AM
Pitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,012
It looks sweet. Lots of ground clearance and looks sturdy.
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 662
nicely done! I think it could use some kind of hooks for strapping cargo down. I'm a little curious, are you using some kind of hard box on there? If not I'd add a crossmember in the middle. But again nicely done.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,689
What's holding up the hitch attachment on the rear of the motorcycle? Looks like it could use some x-bracing... ?
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,998
Are the flat bar sides structural or just to stabilize a load? If they get hit will they bend and if so will that bend compromise tracking or rigidity?

If so it would probably be wise to "strut" that section.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,159
Here is a structural support idea. I remember seeing one of these that someone made for a bike. I see lack of structural strength along the lines of the trailer. With a load in your current configuration I think after a few good bumps something is going to give. What you could do is add some uprights, maybe 4-6 inches tall. Put a railing around on top of that duplicating your existing lower frame work. Then you can add angled pieces from upright to upright. That will give you overall strength as well as more framing to secure your load. Weight shouldn't be an issue.

Clear as mud? I can MS Paint my thoughts if needed.

Very nice work by the way.

Found it! This gives you an idea of my ramblings....

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,998
He has one advantage being that the side bars on his are flat bar orientated somewhat angularly, so one portion of it is a vertical element, which would be rigid in the direction of the load somewhat.

But if it bends some of that rigidity is immediately lost. Boxing it in would probably also make it pretty friggin sturdy.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Pitster OP
miniac

Thanks for the input guys, Yeah, I plan to add a rail around the sides to add strength as well some good tie down spots.
To answer a few questions....the side support that attaches to the bike "hitch" area are made out of 9/16 rolled bar stock. I dont really plan to run a plastics box type, but could very easy. Once the skid plate is installed I will use a waterproof bag to stuff sleeping bags, pads, chairs, gear etc.. I will also be adding a built in kick stand and table that will be mounted by a single iron rod from the rear rack.

We loaded it up with 55lbs of gear today and beat the hell out of it off the loading docks and in the rocky field next to the shop. Its been a fun project, looking forward to getting it finsihed and making some use of it! I will post some more pics and vid once we get it finished.

Pitster screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 11:30 AM
Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
Pitster OP
miniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwscotty View Post
Here is a structural support idea. I remember seeing one of these that someone made for a bike. I see lack of structural strength along the lines of the trailer. With a load in your current configuration I think after a few good bumps something is going to give. What you could do is add some uprights, maybe 4-6 inches tall. Put a railing around on top of that duplicating your existing lower frame work. Then you can add angled pieces from upright to upright. That will give you overall strength as well as more framing to secure your load. Weight shouldn't be an issue.

Clear as mud? I can MS Paint my thoughts if needed.

Very nice work by the way.

Found it! This gives you an idea of my ramblings....
Thanks, yeah I have seen that one, I am sure it is a very strong design, I dont think I will need to go quiet so high with the rails because the side angle and single spine backbone I have now has added a great deal of strength, but I will add a small rail around the sides to give some additional support. Thanks for the input.

Pitster screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 11:31 AM
Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
Pitster OP
miniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
He has one advantage being that the side bars on his are flat bar orientated somewhat angularly, so one portion of it is a vertical element, which would be rigid in the direction of the load somewhat.

But if it bends some of that rigidity is immediately lost. Boxing it in would probably also make it pretty friggin sturdy.
Good points, thanks, we will get it finsihed and beat on it some more before we paint it, so far so good!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
smallborerider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitster View Post
Now I can take everything including the kitchen sink....

First off I want to say I am not interested in producing these type of trailers however to purchases a similar type product go to moto-mule.com Mr. Bracket has done an excellent job of building quality affordable adventure type trailers for fellow adv riders.

When I go on adventures with a passenger ( usually one of my kids) on my 950se, I find a need to take more gear, I have seen many versions of adventure trailers on the site and decided to take a stab at building one myself. I still need to finish the "skid plate" but this is what I came up with……………..

Thoughts…….?
Wow you guys got a lot of work done on that since the last time I was there! You added the racks for the gas cans and looks like got that fender mounted..
I went to the shop Friday but you all had left early, I might try and come check it out this week if I get a chance.

I see you said you were jumping the loading docks,, On the KTM?
Also, how did the rebound adjustment work on the shock, did it bounce all over , or soak it up?
smallborerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
Pitster OP
miniac

Hey Smallbore, sorry we missed you, stop by.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Pitster,

I'm flattered by some of your trailer design . Thank you for mentioning my trailers in your post. Your trailer looks very robust, I highly doubt you will have any strength issues. As with all single wheel trailers, keep the weight of your load down as low as possible. I'd also be cautious of over loading the trailer, yours will support much more weight than I feel is safe to tow. You do have a 950SE, awesome bike and considerably heavier than mine, but remember the weight of the trailer and the weight of your load both try to push your bike around, especially in low traction situations. That is why I used CroMoly tubing and tried make the trailer as light as possible, I wanted most of the weight I carried to be the cargo and not the trailer itself. Again, looks great. Enjoy!

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
Pitster OP
miniac

Mr. Bracket.

Thanks for the advice, it’s been a fun project and I have learned a few things as I went a long (still not finished). All in all its turning out pretty good, but I would do a few things different if I did it again. For 90% of my riders I am able to take plenty of stuff for myself without the trailer, but when I want to take one of my kids or my wife along, it will be nice to be able to take a little extra gear. Your right about keeping the trailer light and the weight low, I am sure less weight ( specially on the 450cc ) would make a big difference. I figured with the beastly 950 I could get away with a little more weight. Either way, trailer or not, the 950 is a BIG FAT MAMMA, but nothing brings the smiles to your face like a 100plus hp dirt bike!

With as much time as I have into this dang thing I am sure I would have been money/headaches ahead to buy one of your Moto-mule trailers and accessorize it with a few fuel tank racks and other details I am adding. It’s obvious to me that for the time and materials it takes to build these things your trailers are a great value!

Hopefully I will get my finished next week and take some pics of it loaded up.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
Matified
been there done that

Oddometer: 108
Here are some pictures I took when Pitster had it outside.

Matified is offline   Reply With Quote