User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
val. h. OP
On the wrong planet

Oddometer: 118
Thinking about making my own leading link forks

Is there anyone here who can help me with geometery questions? I'm thinking about making leading link fork for my outfit, but I'm not sure how much or little trail I should build in to them.

From looking at various different types of sidecar forks it's unclear as to the correct amount the axel needs to be moved forward. Some seem to have as much as six inches and others seem to have no more than an inch. Why might this be?

I want the steering to be light enough for my other half to to be able to ride the outfit easily, as well as being sutible for mild off road use. The outfit is an R80 with a Velorex chair.

Your advice is much appriceated.

Val.

Ay! and the roads need to be bloody good too
val. h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
toastmuncher
I be new round here! Ello

Oddometer: 672
Might I ask where you be?
There is a sticky at the top of the hack page which may help with your dimensions.
Guzzi 700 V7 details-mystery
Matchless g3ls 350 54, Ariel 650 huntmaster 56. IBA 40526
toastmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
val. h. OP
On the wrong planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastmuncher View Post
Might I ask where you be?
There is a sticky at the top of the hack page which may help with your dimensions.

Thanks I'll have another look. see if I can make any sence of it.

I'm about fifty miles up the M4 from you, in Wiltshire.

Val.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 AM   #4
val. h. OP
On the wrong planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastmuncher View Post

Well I've read about half of the thread and although it's very interesting and usefull for someone building an outfit from scratch. It doesn't actually answer my questions.

I know that leading link forks are made/set-up in different ways to suit different driving conditions. But what I don't know is what amount of trail is cood for what I want to do with the outfit and what is likely to be wrong. I don't have a lot of cash I can throw at the project inorder to find out by trial and error, so any advice would be valuable.

I'd like to achieve a set up similar to that of the 750 Urals built after 2003, as my outfit is of a very similar type (BMW R80) and I'd like to be able to use it in a similar way to that of the Urals. IE gental touring and light off road.

Does anyone know how much trail the Urals have?

Val.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:42 AM   #5
nieppi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
There is some pick`s of leadin link what i have made fot my beemer
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747094
Old 12-28-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
nieppi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
And here is pick just for leading link

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
val. h. OP
On the wrong planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieppi View Post
There is some pick`s of leadin link what i have made fot my beemer
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747094

Thanks for that nieppi, looking good. How did you work out where to put the front axel? Did you just measure it to negetive trail or did you leave some trail in? If so how much and why?

Have you used any bushes or bearings in the pivot point?

Val.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
I built a set in 1970 and put extra adjustment attachments for the trail and for shock position. I would make one the same as the stock position and one the same as a Ural or other hack and one in between if you can.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 1,080
On my '76 Guzzi I moved the axle forward 1and 5/8 inch. This reduction has worked well for me.
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
val. h. OP
On the wrong planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatusj View Post
On my '76 Guzzi I moved the axle forward 1and 5/8 inch. This reduction has worked well for me.

Thanks Cleatusj,

How did you come to that measuement? was it a percentage of the total length as sugested in the 'Sidecar Design Formula' thread or another method?

Val.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
largemouthbass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I am also wanting to build a set of leading link forks and wondering what is typically used for bearings at the
pivot point? Needle bearings are what I am considering so far as that is what is usually used in the rear swingarm.

This will be for my 95 KLR 650 with a DMC Enduro hack using 08 triple trees and one and five-eights x three sixteenths chrome-moly as the fork legs.

Any useful information would be very appreciated. And yes I already used the search function.
largemouthbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 1,080
Val, I read that section and every build tread in this forum and some where along the way that figure stood out, so I used it.

LMB, I used bushings from a 350 Honda and cut down two swingarm bolts from the same model.

Here's a link to my build. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648570

cleatusj screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 12:31 PM
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Our links are double wall tubing using .120 wall DOM tubing. We pivot the links on ball bearings, for most links there are two on each fork leg. For the 08 KLR 1.5 inch tubing is slightly to small so we make shims, 07 and back tree's 1.5 inch tubing fits well. For the BMW links depending on year the upper tree can be a bit tricky to attach to, We thread the upper part of the tube and make a shim/washer/spacer that we bolt through the tree's using a 1/2 inch bolt. If the BMW uses ATE brakes we convert them to Brembo like the newer BMW's the problem here is if the bike has wire spoke wheels the rotors must be spaced out. If it has snow flake type or lester's then no spacing is needed. There are a couple of photo's of our links in the hack venders section, one under custom link and other posted in the build for the BMW F800GS. The F800GS has floating calipars which is nice as you can set the front end to either climb, dive or stay level depending on how the tie back links are built.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
How much trail you want depends on how you are going to use it, Very little trail and it can be a bit of a handfull at speed, to much trail and it steers heavy. On my wifes R100S that she had for a while I set the trail at 1.2 inches. This was very nice with the short bars the bike has. On my own R100/7 that I had for a while, I set it at 2 inches which worked well for me. Stock depending on the R80 is about 4.2 inchs
Jay G
DMC sidecars
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,699
I'm getting ready to build my own LL's and I'm going to use a swingarm of a old twin shock bike.This kills 2 birds with one stone.I get bushings/bearings for the pivot point and I get adjustabilty for trail ( chain adjuster) .Gordon Scott did this and I thought it was a good solution!!!.
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is online now   Reply With Quote