Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Oddometer: 3,947
I have the 1984 version of your car. 111000 miles. I went through something similar last fall. The car is usually pretty snappy but it went through a phase where it was an absolute dog. I had just put a thread up on bimmerfest.com about this and the car snapped out of it. I drive it all winter long and it sits most of the summer.

I have no idea what the cause was or what happened that fixed it. I just drive it to work and back every day.

One thing to check is the connection at the computer, which is inside the glovebox. I have solved some poor performance issues by simply wiggling the plug on the computer, or tapping lightly on the computer housing.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,998
Mine has up and died a few times in the past few months. When I head to down shift clutch goes in and engine just isnt' on anymore.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
trailsaw
remember tomorrow

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Mine has up and died a few times in the past few months. When I head to down shift clutch goes in and engine just isnt' on anymore.
Check/clean idle valve?
trailsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #19
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I haven't done the code checks yet
I was trying this today, as per the pelicanparts link, and... nothing. Hell, I don't even know where the check engine light is on this thing.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
trailsaw
remember tomorrow

'85 318i does not have a check engine light....
Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
It's the battery.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsaw View Post
'85 318i does not have a check engine light....
Whether you're serious or joking, I believe it. But, so many people reference a CEL on 80's 318i's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwithglasses View Post
It's the battery.
Probably.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #23
trailsaw
remember tomorrow

Quote:
Whether you're serious or joking, I believe it. But, so many people reference a CEL on 80's 318i's.

Probably.
serious
Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #24
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
serious
Then, what light are they talking about? http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...de_Reading.htm

Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
trailsaw
remember tomorrow

Quote:
Then, what light are they talking about? http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...de_Reading.htm
\
Hell-even pelican can be wrong. All US spec SIX CYLINDER cars since '82 have had motronic. This is where the ignition timing interfaces with the injection profile and adjustments made on the fly.
'84 & '85 US 318's were still just "l-jet"-not motronic. A standard type distributor et al.
In addition-it wasn't until '87 that "we" got a check engine light by virtue of motronic 1.1 then available on the 325i/is/ic. In '88 all the other US cars followed-even the last year 528e.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #26
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
\
Hell-even pelican can be wrong. All US spec SIX CYLINDER cars since '82 have had motronic. This is where the ignition timing interfaces with the injection profile and adjustments made on the fly.
'84 & '85 US 318's were still just "l-jet"-not motronic. A standard type distributor et al.
In addition-it wasn't until '87 that "we" got a check engine light by virtue of motronic 1.1 then available on the 325i/is/ic. In '88 all the other US cars followed-even the last year 528e.

I hear you.

I read that article on Pelican Parts and thought, "Oh cool!" So I went out to my car and tried it...nothing. I have the jet-tronic, complete with the distributor and no check engine light. Someday I'll have to upgrade to the modern '87's and '88's.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #27
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Ah ha! That makes sense, then.

Having so little money in the car, I might just take it to a shop and have them fix whatever's making it run rough. I figure that in order to keep the car free, compared to commuting to work in my truck this winter, I need to drive about 6 miles for every dollar I spend on it. Right now, I owe it about 2400 miles.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #28
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Well, some new spark plugs, some more tuning/fiddling, and somehow-blowing (then replacing) my fuel pump fuse, it's running really nice now.

Knock on wood.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #29
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

This car has been my daily driver for quite a few months now. It runs fine. New tires and some other odds-and-ends, and it's actually almost like a regular car now!

The most annoying thing right now is an inconsistent smoke problem. Almost entirely randomly, the car will dump out a thick cloud of blue/grey sweet-smelling smoke. A possible constant is that this happens during deceleration from "at speed" driving. That is, I can drive around town fine and get on the highway, but when I get off the highway and idle down to the first stoplight, it dumps a cloud of smoke. Accelerating away, and it'll clear out and be just fine. Several stop lights later when I'm pulling into work and idling down the parking lot into a spot, it'll spew a thick cloud.

This happens not every time, but maybe every third time. The car doesn't run rough or any other indication of a problem, but every once in a while, it just dumps a cloud of smoke. It happens randomly whether the engine is at operating temperature or cold.. although it might be more often when hot.

Is my AFM getting stuck at the wrong setting? Is my 02 sensor on the fritz? Is my head gasket blown and sucking in coolant? Am I sucking brake fluid in the intake via the brake booster? Any ideas?

Old 10-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #30
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,894
Quote:

Is my AFM getting stuck at the wrong setting? Is my 02 sensor on the fritz? Is my head gasket blown and sucking in coolant? Am I sucking brake fluid in the intake via the brake booster? Any ideas?
The afm being stuck would give you other issues. Is your brake fluid level dropping? Is your coolant level dropping?
Maybe you'll need to re-engineer the crankcase vent. On a Lancia I had with L-Jet, I had to eliminate the PCV and run the crankcase vent with its own filter.
willis 2000 is online now   Reply With Quote