User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
62hsr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Winter - Little use vs. No use

I know a lot of folks "winterize" their bikes in very cold climates. I was able to take my DRZ400 around the block about once a month during our Georgia winter(which was cold to this Florida boy). My question is: Can there still be some crud build up in the carb with "little use" vs. "no use"? Seems to run fine(noob talking). Does anyone use additives such as Seafoam to do any annual cleaning? I'm in the "Aint broke, don't fix it" camp, but If there is something simple I could do as a preventative I certainly would.
Thanks.
62hsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,128
I always use fuel stabilizer and try to get fresh gas in after the first run..

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,880
It's better to add stabilizer and either take out the battery or put it on a tender and leave the damn thing alone until spring. A dry start is very hard on an engine and after sitting for a while all the oil had returned to the sump, leading to oil starvation and sometimes lots of wear on oil seals.

Storage temp doesn't matter, -2c is the same as -40c just like if it was kept in a warmer spot. Just make sure your coolant is fresh and at the right mix.

Starting it a few times during the winter literally buys you nothing and properly treated fuel should be good for more than 6 months.

Ps: don't dran the carb. Your prints will dry rot. Leave gas in it.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
If not stabilizer, race gas or AV gas works real good for a storage fuel.
Running once a month "just to start it" is a mean thing to do to an engine. Engines are designed to be run. Get up to full operating temperature, water AND oil temps. A start and a short ride is just excess wear and oil contamination that can be prevented by just letting it sit for the winter. Ride it because you want to take it for a ride, not because its been a month and you don't really want to ride it anyway.

And no, the short rides should not have hurt the carb at all.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
62hsr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thumbs down

Thanks for all the info. I have kept it on a tender and when I do crank it up, I do let it run to full operating temp. I didn't use the stabilizer though.

dry start is very hard on an engine and after sitting for a while all the oil had returned to the sump, leading to oil starvation and sometimes lots of wear on oil seals.
This being said, how should I start up after a period of non use to avoid this type of wear?
62hsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,271
all AGM are low self discharge batteries and don't need to be kept on a battery tender type trickle charger .. which could overcharge enough to kill it if kept on extended time periods.

best to disconnect AGM, then top off ... then come back 6 months or so later and top off again.

the best way to put a carb bike up for extended time periods is to drain tank, then idle bike until all fuel are used up. for short periods add fuel stabilizer to fuel which is not good of as draining all fuels.

if you are going to run bike in middle of winter .. be sure to get it up to running temps .. otherwise motor will not get hot enough to drive off moisture. otherwise better to leave it alone ..
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #7
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hsr View Post

dry start is very hard on an engine and after sitting for a while all the oil had returned to the sump, leading to oil starvation and sometimes lots of wear on oil seals.
This being said, how should I start up after a period of non use to avoid this type of wear?
You don't do anything special. That is just how an engine is started. Just avoid doing it needlessly.

If you look at fleet vehicles it is common to see them with astronomically high mileage on them with not much needed. Because they are always warmed up and running. A warmed up engine has almost no wear as it runs. Warming the engine up is where the wear happens. Unless you never run it you are going to get wear at warm up. Just accept it and enjoy riding. Ride more, wear less.

I base all my engine at operating temp on the oil temperature. Water temp is just removing excess combustion heat. Water has little to do with wear, oil flowing over parts does.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:35 AM   #8
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,887
This is what I do and have had very good luck (YMMV).

At the end of my riding season (~ Thanksgiving), I run the bikes low on fuel (or drain the tanks). I fill each bike with about a gallon of Sunoco Standard 110 race fuel (old farts, like me, also know it as "CAM2 Purple 114"). I then start each bike and go for a short ride (to get the race gas into the carburetor). The bikes are stored in a heated garage (~55º). I try to start each bike every 4-5 weeks. If the roads are dry, I'll go for a short spin around the neighborhood, enough to get temperature in the engine (& coolant). I'll use a battery tender, a few days before each "start-up", to ensure the battery is fully charged.

I've never had an issue, with any bike that I've ever owned, using this procedure. I do have a 2 stroke trials bike. That bike is run until the carb is dry and then I remove the tank and drain the fuel. The tank is stored open and off the bike. However, the pre-mix is 2 stroke oil and race gas.

HTH

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,880
There isn't anything you need to do when starting it, just don't start it unless you're putting it back in service.

All the wear occurs during startup. Why start it, even if you do get it to operating temp, what's the point? That it still runs? I don't get it.

Getting it up to temp like others suggest here only avoids condensation or moisture inside the motor and pipes.mdoes nothing to minimize wear.

DONT TOUCH IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hsr View Post
Thanks for all the info. I have kept it on a tender and when I do crank it up, I do let it run to full operating temp. I didn't use the stabilizer though.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #10
Stasher1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Why would you park a bike for the "winter" season in Georgia?
Stasher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,219
You are overthinking winter and its not like its some kind of special engine.