User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
nooooo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Adding baffles to DG muffler

I bought my second bike recently. A '91 DR350. Sweet bike! Only problem was how loud it was. PO pretty much straight piped it. Looking for a cheap alternative, I couldn't find a good deal on a stock exhaust. I did however read about some people who added baffles to their DG. So I picked one up and here's how I did it.

First of all I got a good deal on the exhaust on Amazon. Exhaust arrived, looked to be a decent piece. I removed the screws at both ends, and the springs as well.

Second I removed the end cap and the spark arrestor. From that point you can slide the pipe out of the muffler section.

Third I picked up six 2" washers, a bolt and two nuts and locked them in the drill press. I then turned the press on and using an angle grinder with a sanding disk took them down a few sizes until they would fit snugly inside the mesh muffler tube. I went with six because others had used 4 and wished they had done 5 or 6. I wonder what is more effective personally.

Fourth I placed rivets for the first washer to rest on, then dropped in the washer, and placed rivets on top to keep them in place. They are very snug. Hopefully nothing comes loose. Make sure to account for the spark arrestor when placing your baffles.

Then I put everything back together. Make sure you use some sort of high temp sealer to close the endcaps or you'll have fiberglass puffing out the cracks. Also use some blue locktite.

And a super crappy video (my phone died in the middle of shooting). I cant figure out how to embed.

http://youtu.be/uMP5nXPByLg

nooooo screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 11:26 PM
nooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Saw your link in the DE350 thread. You should prob post it there too.
I like it, I too have an extra loud bike and I'm looking for solutions. I may try to do this with the can i have and repacking before I buy a new something or other ( can't find an alternative).
Thanks for posting

To embed, you have to use a pc ( no Mobil devices). Click on edit (original post) then click on the litte yellow triangle on the rt corner of the typing area. The screen will turn a different color (white on mine). Then go to the upper bar and click on the chain world icon ( or the chain one if the world one doesn't do the trick). Enter (copy paste) the embedded link from YouTube. Make sure you get the embedded URL not the regular link. To get it go to your vid and click on share and choose embedded. Once you have it ( just like the pics you did) you can submit or preview. Hope it helps. But the key is clicking on the yellow triangle first.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 606
I want to do this to my DG. Did you put all the washers together or space them apart?
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Kanawa
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Spaced apart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Hooligan View Post
I want to do this to my DG. Did you put all the washers together or space them apart?
By looking at the picture I guess he spaced em apart. That's the whole idea of creating baffles.

I had been looking for a solution myself. I have installed the 1 inch quiet insert. Made some difference but not up to my expectations.

One question remaining. Not all washers have the same hole diameter. Wich one did you choose?
Kanawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,225
Back in the day we stuffed steel wool into our mufflers after we were ticketed for loud exhausts.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,999

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Kanawa
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Back in the day we stuffed steel wool into our mufflers after we were ticketed for loud exhausts.
I have actually seen that in another recent youtube video where this guys uses a washer to make one baffle and athen replaces the mineral wool by some very rough stainless steel wool. Here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmrbtbuKCEs
Old 04-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
nooooo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanawa View Post
By looking at the picture I guess he spaced em apart. That's the whole idea of creating baffles.

I had been looking for a solution myself. I have installed the 1 inch quiet insert. Made some difference but not up to my expectations.

One question remaining. Not all washers have the same hole diameter. Wich one did you choose?
Yep, spaced them out. I think the ID was around 1/2".
Old 05-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Kanawa
n00b

Actually did the mod.

Great result. Added 5 washers. Since i was'nt equipted to reduce the size of the 2 inches myself I took em to a machine shop.

Still better sound thant the stock but DG straight out of the box is way too loud and the quiet core is almost of no real effect. This way I get a good sound and a WAAAAAY much lighter exhaust that the stock wich weight a ton. And it also solved the backfire problem I had with the DG without the modification. Thanks for that great trick.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
deezuldon
Deezuldon

Question LOUD exhaust mods?

I’ve been reading up on this subject quite a bit lately. An engineer or a sound technician I am not, but I too, am looking for quiet exhaust. My DR350SE arrived in my life with a SuperTrapp pipe. As in SuperLoud.

I talked to Jesse at Kientech about his mod’ed stock pipes, but you need a stock pipe to send to him to mod. Stock pipes are getting pretty tough to find. So with Jesse’s input I talked to the boys at DG and picked up an “O” series pipe – and the “Quiet Core” insert option. Jesse has some DGs he’s planning to play with (probably to do his own quiet mods) but he’s understandably focusing on revenue-producing projects for now.

I agree with the earlier poster than the QC addition is marginally better. To be honest, I did not run the new DG pipe without the Quiet Core in it. I just wanted to go right to the quietest. If anyone has interest I did sound level readings of my bike with the SuperTrapp, with the new DG pipe with the QC installed, and a neighbor’s DR650 which is bone stock. All for the sake of comparison; to satisfy my own curiosity. I can post those numbers if anyone would like. But in the meantime, my immediate perception was between the SuperTrapp and the DG was very little difference. The numbers show a marginal difference (like 2 db) between the ST and the DG w/QC, but it’s hard to tell listening by ear.

So. I am very tempted to try the washer/baffles on my all-but-brand-new DG pipe. Anyone who might have experience to answer the following questions please chime in! I believe we need to keep our off-road (and on-road) machines as quiet as possible so as not to raise the ire of those who would shut us out of their backyards; we don’t need to risk losing more access. To be good neighbors, indeed!

How critical is the spacing of the washers? Is it more/less effective to have them spaced a pop rivet’s distance apart or would it be better if they were, say, each an inch apart?

I noticed that in taking the end cap off the DG pipe to insert the Quiet Core, the perforated straight pipe inside. It’s essentially a straight-through exhaust, except for the perforations (holes) in the pipe inside the muffler can. But the fiberglass matting is wrapped tightly around the perforated pipe. It would seem as a path of least resistance, the exhaust gases will most easily just pass by the holes – and not divert through the holes and into the fiberglass - because the fiberglass is so tight up against the pipe inside. Yes? No?

I like the idea of the stainless matting (scouring pads) in the YouTube video as it seems the openness of the scouring pads would encourage the gases to divert through the holes into the SS matting. Diversion of the exhaust gases being the purpose of the washers in the first place – the SS matting will maybe break up the sound even more? (And it shouldn’t “burn out” like fiberglass.)

How about a solid core (no hole) “washer”? Is that too much potato-in-the-tailpipe?

If anybody has any input I’d certainly be appreciative of sharing your experience(s). I’ll be happy to post the sound level reading differences for those interested after I do the mods myself, 'cause I gotta do something!

deezuldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #11
tominboise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
I'm no silencer expert but I have played with mine a little bit. I have a Hindle on my BMW R80 that is basically the same design - a straight tube of perforated metal, surrounded by a wrap of glass packing. My BMW was very loud. The straight pipe is 2" in diameter. First, I took the muffler completely off the bike and ran the engine. It was louder then with the muffler, so it is doing some silencing. On my muffler, the exhaust tip blew off somewhere on the road, and I was worried that the packing would come out. So, I did a little experimenting by putting a hardware store sink escutcheon with a 1/1-2" hole in it, installing it with a couple of screws over the end of the muffler. It quieted the bike down considerably. Performance doesn't seem to be affected much, at least on this bike. I have a new supertrapp on the way to replace the Hindle, but I may expirement with the Hindle some. So, long answer in saying that I don't think I would put solid baffles in, but some smaller baffles might quiet it down quite a bit. Maybe a series of baffles with progressively smaller (or larger) holes spaced out to see what happens...

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooooo View Post
Third I picked up six 2" washers, a bolt and two nuts and locked them in the drill press. I then turned the press on and using an angle grinder with a sanding disk took them down a few sizes until they would fit snugly inside the mesh muffler tube.

Gold Jerry, that is gold! Wow, it never occurred to me to use my drill press that way.

I was just contemplating this very thing as I have a noisy DRZ125 that I want to quiet down. Was looking in my nuts, bolts, misc bucket and noticed I have some wheel spacers that would do nicely as restrictors in the end of the FMF Powercore.

Only problem is the OD of the spacers is a bit larger then the ID of the silencer. I was considering how to take some material off manually, but wasn't looking forward to a lot of work and a very out of round end product.

Mounting the spacers on the drill press is the ticket.

Excellent. I'm psyched. Thanks for posting! -Ed

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #13
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
It quieted the bike down considerably. Performance doesn't seem to be affected much, at least on this bike.
I was just talking to a friend about jetting and whatnot and he mentioned that most of the popular mods like aftermarket exhausts, opening up airboxes etc only really impact the top end performance of most bikes.

And most of us spend most of our time in the low end or mid, not in the top end of the power band where those mods would be most apparent.

Likewise, if you're restricting your exhaust, the impact will be felt most in the top end, not as much if at all in the low and mid range.

He thought the biggest gains were to be had with getting the off idle and mid jetting setup properly.

I thought it was interesting, sounds logical.

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 3,873
Nothing to add, but that is awesome. I'm very much a quiet pipe guy and it's nice to see I'm not the only one.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,043
It would be awesome if the pipe companies would start to make some quieter pipes that are lighter than the stock boat anchors.

As noted above, open exhausts seldom do a damn thing for performance and they piss off the neighbors, but lighter pipes have immediate, everyday positive effects on handling and performance.

Imagine carrying a couple of large watermelons with you everywhere. That's about what a KLR650's stock muffler weighs. Trouble is, all the aftermarket pipes are basically straight pipes.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote