Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
150ron OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Question Classic car no seatbelts? battery maintainer?

Got 2 questions, 1966 Ford mustang, has lap belts up front, but NO seatbelts at all in the back seat, what does one do if they want to take kids for rides? Location is California.

Secondly, car sits and only gets started up about once a month, (start it up, let it idle and just drive it around the neighborhood to keep everything lubed and going) battery just died, will need to be replaced, id like the new battery to last for a very long time, do i hook it up to a battery charger or is it better to disconnect the cables? or is there another better method to making sure the battery will last for many years?

Should i be getting a new battery from Costco, or look somewhere else, its a V8, 289.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 6,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Got 2 questions, 1966 Ford mustang, has lap belts up front, but NO seatbelts at all in the back seat, what does one do if they want to take kids for rides? Location is California.

Secondly, car sits and only gets started up about once a month, (start it up, let it idle and just drive it around the neighborhood to keep everything lubed and going) battery just died, will need to be replaced, id like the new battery to last for a very long time, do i hook it up to a battery charger or is it better to disconnect the cables? or is there another better method to making sure the battery will last for many years?

Should i be getting a new battery from Costco, or look somewhere else, its a V8, 289.
Get a Battery Tender. http://www.batterytender.com/

Plug it in 24/7 when the car is not in use. Your new battery will last many years if this is done. My generator battery is over 10 years old and it is still going strong.

It's possible to retrofit seat belts to your car. I'd go to a mustang forum and there should be posts about how to do it.
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
150ron OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Get a Battery Tender. http://www.batterytender.com/

Plug it in 24/7 when the car is not in use. Your new battery will last many years if this is done. My generator battery is over 10 years old and it is still going strong.

It's possible to retrofit seat belts to your car. I'd go to a mustang forum and there should be posts about how to do it.
I use a battery tender jr on me bike and its great, for the car i have this charger, Schumacher battery charger

Should be fine right? there is a point tho where a battery just will no longer hold a charge? even if on the battery charger 24/7? and this battery does not seem to have a cover that you can remove to check the water level.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
Is all simple.
A:You want seat belts in the rear, well...install'em
B: You want to keep your battery up for occasional use? Install a battery tender.
Neither A or B are rocket science or crazy expensive but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to meet your needs. I've got a cheap tender on a "very occasional use (yearly?)" old ready for the recycle bin diesel dual batt Chev C-20 pickup that's been starting fine with a 1.5A under the hood mounted Schmacher tender from Amazon. No a tender/charger won't help an old lack of maint neglected shot dead wet battery but if your batt is in spec, tenders are your friend.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 6,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
I use a battery tender jr on me bike and its great, for the car i have this charger, Schumacher battery charger

Should be fine right? there is a point tho where a battery just will no longer hold a charge? even if on the battery charger 24/7? and this battery does not seem to have a cover that you can remove to check the water level.
A Battery Tender is a maintainer, not a charger. It brings a battery up to a set voltage and then turns off while still monitoring the voltage, then turns back on when it drops to a set voltage.

A 2 or 3 amp charger will overcharge a battery and ruin it if left on continuously.

The big destroyer of batteries is sulfation brought on by leaving them partially or completely discharged. A battery kept at full charge will not sulfate.
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #6
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
The mustang had seatbelts at one time. Often shoved into the crack of the seat and forgotten. Have you actually removed the seat bottom and confirmed that they really are missing? I bet they really are there.

Tender is a good choice. Brand is like an oil thread, everyone has there favorite.

Short drives and (cold) idling are killers of engines. Don't drive it around the block for the car's sake, it would be better if you just left it parked. Drive it because you want to drive it. And longer drives are better. You want to get the oil up to operating temperature. Water warms up fast, oil not so much. It can take over an hour of idling to warm oil up, if it will even warm up. If you pull it out just to keep it circulating go for a long drive. at least 10 miles, 20 better. Some highway would be good as well. Nice warm oil to drive off the water condensation in the oil. Get the gear box and axle warmed up as well. That's how a classic car should be driven. It will also keep surprises away when you actually do drive it somewhere besides around the neighborhood.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
The mustang had seatbelts at one time. Often shoved into the crack of the seat and forgotten. Have you actually removed the seat bottom and confirmed that they really are missing? I bet they really are there.
Seat belts were optional up to the mid 60's. I believe some may have only had front and not rear belts.

But don't waste time here asking. Want info until your eyes bleed?

https://www.google.com/search?q=did+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

The first link revealed this place that sells seat belts for Mustangs...

http://www.andoauto.com/Mustang.htm

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
My van in Alaska sits through the winter with no battery tender for 10 months every year. So far (knock on wood) it has started when I arrive.

In Alaska land, people charge the battery and disconnect it. There is no juice to run the battery tender.

A friend of mine got the bright idea to put trickle chargers on his and bought 4 new batteries when he arrived. Ouch !!!

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:57 PM   #9
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,993
I can only add this....... As I work on cars that sit a lot (classic benz)

Flush the brake fluid every 2 years, same with coolant. I'd change the oil yearly regardless of mileage.

When you drive it, make sure it's fully up to temp and actually DRIVE the car, not just the "I run it in the driveway" bullshit.

As for seatbelts, easy, get a mustangs plus, Larry's, national parts depot, etc catalog and pick one.

Battery tenders are great, maybe a battery cut off switch to kill the ground side just to keep it isolated.

Most importantly.
Have fun.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #10
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,789
I got a 68, the rear belts are shoved through the crack in the seat. you can see them from the trunk.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #11
k12lts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I have a 67 Firebird convertible and a 79 Trans AM and neither get more than 200 miles per year. They are parked side be side in the garage and I use one Battery Tender Jr about a month at a time on each car, switching back and forth. The batteries are about 10 years old and are doing fine.

I agree with the post above, don't start the car unless you are going to drive it. Idling in the garage is death on engines.

Seat belts were not factory equipment in my 67, aftermarket belts have been added. I believe they became standard in 1968.
1981 BMW R100RS
2006 KLR 650
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
150ron OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated,

battery wise, ok, i wanted to know if its better to disconnect the cables or keep the battery on a battery tender, i will do the battery tender when i get a new battery.

Seatbelts, i went in the car, the back bench lifts up and then pretty much the whole thing moves forward and can be removed, no seatbelts anywhere, did find penny's from the 50's and 60's tho, i then went in the trunk and looked in the crack, no seat belts anywhere, so the car DOES NOT have rear seat belts at all, sucks!!

I was told to start it up once a month, let it idle and drive it around a bit, to keep everything going and lubricated, why is that bad? it smokes alot, white smoke while idleing, and black smoke when i give it lots of gas, and if i press the pedal all the way down it will backfire really loud and die, but for being almost 50 years old and all original, it rides pretty good.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #13
150ron OP
Beastly Adventurer

Also, a link would be great to where i could purchase a complete set of rear seat belts, just the most cost friendly basic model, thank you.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #14
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,564
1967 the Federal Law was passed that required seat belts for ALL occupants. 1968 would have been the first model year they were required. Prior to that they were optional but some manufacturers had them for the front seat occupants as standard for a few years prior.
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #15
PeterVSS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Our 1965 Barracuda has seat belts in the front buckets. None for the rear seat.

Battery tender for the off season. We do isolate the battery as the AM radio is the most complicated electronic device in the car.

Fluids every odd year and oil twice a year.

Hmmm I wounder if my folks really liked us as they let us ride on the open wagon tailgate..... Ok if only up the driveway..
is AA next?
PeterVSS is offline   Reply With Quote