User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2014, 01:52 AM   #1
ADpete OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Question diy triple clamp

Can a triple clamp be successfuly made with a drill press?
Old 09-25-2014, 03:24 AM   #2
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
You can do anything if you are determined enough. The centres and diameter need to be really accurate, which will be a problem on a normal drill press. Not impossible but it might cost you a lot in metal.

Would I do it personally, no ?.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,390
I would think not. A mill sure. The tolerances are pretty fine for the fit and you would need to be very accurate with the tube hole clearances to prevent flexing and binding.

You could get lucky but in my humble experience, laying things out by hand with punches, center drills and trying to hold parts....it's a trying exercise.

Now if it was for something like a Postie sure but you still have to be very accurate.

That is also assuming you know a drilled hole is not very accurate. You would probably want to ream it or bore it more likely. A ream that big is expensive and I wouldn't want to run a boring head in a drill press unless I had to.

However it should be said that anything is possible with enough patience and determination.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
Sevv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
There's a thread over at www.customfighters.com where a guy did exactly this. Looked like a lot of drilling close to size and then slowly sanding to the correct diameter. It'll save you money, but you're paying in time.
Sevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevv View Post
...It'll save you money, but you're paying in time.
+1

That's about it, right there. Someone with the right attitude and skills can do amazing things with near zero tools. It just takes time... sometimes lots of it.

Tools make things easier, and quicker. With most things these days, beyond custom, the boys with the really big toys (aka a manufacturing plant) can make something so cheap that only a fool would do it by hand.

Then again, there are plenty of us fools around

If you're set on doing this, then I'd laminate something together. Go with thinner plate, stacking 3 or 4 up to make an end. That way they would be easier to drill, Drilling straight isn't as much an issue, and you can get some wiggle room to get a tight fit before bolting them together. You'd probably need extra sleeve-type clamps on the fork tubes to make sure they don't slide up or down in the triple clamps. In other words, make the triple clamp for alignment but do the clamping elsewhere. It would let you be less precise with each.

Another option would be to make both ends out of one chunk of material, drilling through both at once, and then sawing the thing in half. Or, again, take 2 chunks and bolt them together while doing all the drilling and fitting. At least that way the holes would line up top to bottom, and follow the same angle as you're not likely to get them straight.

Oh, damn... now you've got another fool thinking,

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADpete View Post
Can a triple clamp be successfuly made with a drill press?
your drill press better be a good one, and have a lot of sharp bits.

a machine shop could do it on a Bridgeport in an hour, if you already have the stock cut and a good drawing.

we used to open up trees, make new ones, whatever, it goes pretty quick
Old 09-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
ADpete OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Cool2 Hummmm

At least it not a resounding NO! But it's more out of nescity that wanting to. Triple clamps for ktm forks to hd sportster aren't that easy to find. And yes it's been done but from what I can tell (wait ) 2004 sportster got a new designed frame and there the cradle meets the steering tube is wider now than early models (go for it) .I need a set of triples to fit ktm forks and have at least 50mm offset to fit the 2013 sportster. Os, find , pay someone to custom or make them the build's stalled until I get them.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
Sevv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
A steering stem swap won't work?

I've got a set of 950 sm triples in a box I can attempt to measure for you if you want.
Sevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,390
What about getting some plate waterjet cut? Then you could have someone with a bridgeport finish the boring and slitting. Plus the tapped holes for the pinch bolts.

I just think there are too many potential errors with hacking it it's not worth the risk. The forks you are putting on are very specific to torque values so the internals don't bind esp on the lower triple. Any finish with a drill, BTW I think KTM forks are 60ish mm in diameter, is going to be marginal at best. And running a boring head in a drill press that big isn't going to be accurate.

I'd rather (and have) adapted KTM triples to fit the bike with a reduced turning radius than cobble together a potentially unsafe situation.

I think money well spent would be to find a machinist willing to help with the finer points of accuracy or live with reduced turning radius and adapt the stem/bearings to fit the KTM triples.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote