Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #151
xuare
Gravity wins again

Oddometer: 205
My general policy is that anything that doesn't have moving parts, or that the moving parts are either simple or easy to replace with a quality part are ok from HF

Things I will NOT get at HF:

-Complicated machines with multiple: motors, hydraulic rams, machinery with integrated electronics etc.
-Anything requiring a special blend, forging, or precision machined metals. Doubly so if it has to hold enough force on a piece in a way as to represent a safety hazard if it fails.
-Safety equipment
-Anything that will spend a long time in contact with myself or a family member (many fabrics, leather items, etc. just smell like they soaked in a HAZMAT refuse barrel)
xuare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #152
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Great experience’s with most of what I have bought from HF. And nice thing if it breaks then it can always be turned into a "specialty tool" or so called art. Plus its cheap so who gives a fuck? But I can't do it anymore.. I can't bring myself to ever go into another HF again. Reason being I was standing in line and there was a American Flag for sale. Where was it made? In china. I truly felt sick. No more HF for me.
While working at a festival near Cleveland shortly after 9/11, a couple had a booth with every size of US flags available. Of course, they were cashing in on the patriotism of the time. Every one of the flags were made in China and they sold thousands. Most people are blinded to this when the fervor hits a high level.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #153
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
HF chain breaker

+1 Really surprised me how smooth and easy it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
The chain breaker on sale for $10 cut my beat-to-hell 525 chain like a hot knife through butter. Hard to argue with that.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #154
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,894
Never had a big garage type tool chest. Just moved into a new house and decided to treat myself. Had all my tools previously in a 4 tier wooden wine shelf from a store display. Looked around at the professional brands, Snap-On, etc., and almost had a heart attack at the prices, even used.

Figured as a home tinkerer with not that many tools I didn't need that level of quality, or huge size. Anyway, saw a coupon for a H-F rolling 4 drawer tool cart and decided to take a look. Normally $229, but always on sale for $139-149. This one: http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb-...art-95659.html

There's a H-F store not far from where I moved, so I could see it in person. Fairly heavy gauge metal, powder coated finish, ball bearing roller drawers, even came with rubber sheet in the drawers. Seemed pretty well made, not at all flimsy, decided to buy it. Was impressed while assembling it how nicely made it was. Just loaded my tools into it last night and so far I'm satisfied.

The price with the coupon was $99, no freight charge since I picked it up in person, a good deal I think.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #155
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Never had a big garage type tool chest. Just moved into a new house and decided to treat myself. Had all my tools previously in a 4 tier wooden wine shelf from a store display. Looked around at the professional brands, Snap-On, etc., and almost had a heart attack at the prices, even used.

Figured as a home tinkerer with not that many tools I didn't need that level of quality, or huge size. Anyway, saw a coupon for a H-F rolling 4 drawer tool cart and decided to take a look. Normally $229, but always on sale for $139-149. This one: http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb-...art-95659.html

There's a H-F store not far from where I moved, so I could see it in person. Fairly heavy gauge metal, powder coated finish, ball bearing roller drawers, even came with rubber sheet in the drawers. Seemed pretty well made, not at all flimsy, decided to buy it. Was impressed while assembling it how nicely made it was. Just loaded my tools into it last night and so far I'm satisfied.

The price with the coupon was $99, no freight charge since I picked it up in person, a good deal I think.
I bought the exact one this weekend with the $99 coupon from the back of Cycle World. My decision process was pretty much the same as yours. It's still in its box in the barn, but I'm looking forward to putting it together for a test run.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #156
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
I bought the exact one this weekend with the $99 coupon from the back of Cycle World. My decision process was pretty much the same as yours. It's still in its box in the barn, but I'm looking forward to putting it together for a test run.
In the assembly instructions they say you need 2 people to lower the chest down onto the assembled supports. I was able to do it myself by laying the chest (on the cardboard) on it's side, and sliding the supports under it, putting a few bolts in, and lifting it up to do the rest. Not the easiest, but does work if you're by yourself.

Another thing, when I first opened it and cut the box out around it, and removed the styrofoam packing, I discovered it was locked, and no keys were apparent.

After frantic looking and thoughts of having to return it, it turned out the keys were taped to the styrofoam in a spot that was tough to find.

Have fun with the assembly, goes a lot faster with a 13mm socket wrench and extension. If you've got a 13mm ratcheting wrench in addition, even better.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #157
kc0stp
Lurker

Oddometer: 23
Just got reminded of this one, the 3 peice impact adapters (1/2-3/4, 3/4-1/2 and 1/2-3/8) and there basiclly unbreakable, put them on the big 3/4" impacts at work and havnt broken them yet, on the flip side seen half a dozen Mac, Snap-on and Matco's adapters break.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #158
muddywater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0stp View Post
Just got reminded of this one, the 3 peice impact adapters (1/2-3/4, 3/4-1/2 and 1/2-3/8) and there basiclly unbreakable, put them on the big 3/4" impacts at work and havnt broken them yet, on the flip side seen half a dozen Mac, Snap-on and Matco's adapters break.
I have those (black finish), and use them with a 650 ft-lb 3/4" impact regularly with no problem
Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #159
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 2,982
I just bought the 15# soda blaster and will report back on its' performance.
Hope it works better than the assembly instructions, the pages are all there but it says nothing about how to assemble 1/2 of it. Needed to carefully look at the pictures on the box
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #160
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 2,982
MX lift stand, have two of these, on sale for $20. Have worked ok for awhile but now one is bending bad and is quickly becoming useless. Get what you pay for. Maybe I tried to use it when it wasn't absolutely straight and it bent but the metal seems pretty cheesy.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!

barko1 screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 04:04 PM
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #161
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
MX lift stand, have two of these, on sale for $20. Have worked ok for awhile but now one is bending bad and is quickly becoming useless. Get what you pay for. Maybe I tried to use it when it wasn't absolutely straight and it bend but the metal seems pretty cheesy.
I have one of those. It will not support my XR so I stopped trying - it works just fine with my Husky which is sitting on it right now. I use mine simply as a means to keep it upright when stored - not sure I'd actually work on the bike with it on the stand though...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #162
Creation
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Heat gun. Costed me 10 bucks and works great for 2 years now linky

Screwdriver set... Sadly has outlasted my craftsman and some of the snap on... No breaks yet! linky

Both pass!
Creation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #163
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,136
Picked up the Chicago Electric 1/2 drive impact drill. This baby is da bomb! I had to get the clutch bolts off a R60/5. I had broken an easy-out; had half-killed my 1/4" impact drill; had stripped the slots off one bolt by d*cking around with slotted drivers and whatnot. I was ready to take the stupid motor into a machine shop when I saw the ad for the $45 Harbor Freight drill.

Put a big 3/8" slotted screwdriver impact head on there, leaned against the drill with my hip. BANGBANG...ZIP. All six bolts came out like butter. I'm loving this tool. It's a seriously heavy piece of machinery. Maybe it won't last through hundreds of hours of abuse, but I might use it 2-3 times a year.
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #164
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
MX lift stand, have two of these, on sale for $20. Have worked ok for awhile but now one is bending bad and is quickly becoming useless. Get what you pay for. Maybe I tried to use it when it wasn't absolutely straight and it bent but the metal seems pretty cheesy.
I have this lift stand as well. It was funny that the online review of the lift stand told how to fix its flaws, which I did.

I changed out the supplied bolts for ones with longer unthreaded portions so that the mechanism would ride on smooth surfaces instead of hanging up on the threads.

I also used the grinder to eliminate a few corners that prevented the stand from locking in the up position.

Since I've done this the lift works fine with my 83 and 84 XR500Rs.

A lot of things at HF are like this in the sense that fixing the tools is necessary. I do think of their stuff as 'kits'
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #165
WacoDirtryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Every thing they sell is junk.
WacoDirtryder is offline   Reply With Quote