Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #196
muddywater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
True - never pick the torque wrench box that rattles!

The friendly folks'll be happy to give you more intact example.

Always wanted an inch-pound torque wrench, but didn't want to spend lot$ on one. I recently got the 1/4" torque wrench 2696 for $11.99 and have used it a couple of times with no problems.
(BONUS - comes in a red plastic fitted storage box) - PASS

It is made in Tawian, not China.......just sayin
Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #197
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
I bought a couple of these 18" magnetic tool holders at a sidewalk sale for I think $2 each. I bought one to stick on the side of a tool cart (which I have yet to do), but just using one 'loose' during maintenance has proven to be quite useful. For instance, I recently re-worked the whole handlebar configuration- new grips, levers, bark busters, etc. and I just laid one of these strips on the seat of the bike, and it gave me a place to safely keep all the various screws, drivers, allen wrenches, etc necessary for the job without them all rolling off the seat.

groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #198
Gamble
b00b

Oddometer: 7
^^ I use those too. Love them.
I bought 3 of them. One for my 1/4" sock drawer, 3/8 and 1/2". Just put it on the back of the drawer facing foward and I put my extensions, swivesl and adapters on there so I don't loose them.
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #199
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I had the pickup truck bed crane mounted on my deuce and a half. It was the tall one with the hydraulic cylinder, I ended up modifying it by adding a winch too, though I think they make them this way now. If not there is always Northern Tool!

As long as you're lifting ~500# they are great. I could lift my XT225 into the bed pretty easily. Also full 55 gallon drums of water. I modified mine further by welding and bolting a 1/2" plate to the base. Also I bolted it underneath the bed with angle iron to prevent flexing in the pig iron the deuce was made of.

I wouldn't do the full half ton on the HF version, but the Northern Tool one was fine.

Here's the deal with the HF hydraulic cylinders: they suck.

BUT you can get around that! Keep them well greased. Coat the ram in grease and all the moving parts in the jack itself. It's made out of chinese steel (cheese iron) so it wants to rust. If it rusts, the seals start to leak. If the hydraulic fluid leaks out just open up plug in the jack and fill it with ATF, power steering fluid or whatever mild hydraulic fluid you have on hand. (its going to leak out again anyways). Certain brake fluids might eat the seals, plus that shit is expensive, so avoid it anyways. Also make sure you're not exceeding 50-70% of your rated load on your chinese hydraulic cylinder.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #200
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,386
I have a very large breaker bar that I got from HF at least 15 years ago, and I can promise that it has been abused in every possible way and holding up fine. I also had a large hydraulic floor jack that saw interesting uses as a farm tool, and also never failed.

I have often sought out a HF when I have a need for a tool I know I need for one use, possible another. An example would be a set of HF shock spring compressors. Yes, I as nervous using them, fearing a sudden break in the casting could get really ugly, but they held up, and I replaced the coil overs for $12 and some sweat vs a few hundred for the dealer to do it.

I also buy tools for throw aways. Like the small toolbox I kept in my old truck. I figured, if someone grabbed the toolbox out of the truck, then I wasn't going to cry about some HF wrenches, screwdrivers, and cheap ass socket set. To their credit, those HF wrenches had a nicer finish on them and cleaned up easier than the Craftsman ones I had at the time. The socket wrench, while it felt like it had sand in the mechanism, still works, where the Craftsman one I had broke.

Sears BTW is replacing the tools you take back to them with refurbished ones, at least in the case of the socket wrenches. I was pissed about that, since you used to get new ones.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #201
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Sears BTW is replacing the tools you take back to them with refurbished ones, at least in the case of the socket wrenches. I was pissed about that, since you used to get new ones.
Quite a while ago, I went into Sears with a ratchet problem (the tighten/loosen selector had broken).
I was given a "repair kit", and supplied my own labor to fix it myself.

What a man I am!

(But yeah, I'd rather have gotten a new one, too).
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #202
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
A few things that others have mentioned that I've had good luck with -
3" cutoff tool

It beats dragging a torch out for small stuff.
I got one of these and have found it useless. The wheel cuts fine, but it won't turn at high enough rpms long enough to cut. The wheel grinds to a stop with the slightest drag. I always get frusterated and throw the sawzal at the job. Now I'm wondering if it is my compressor that can't maintain high enough pressure.

I bought two of the flooring nailers. The first one got trashed, I probably didn't oil it well enough. The second one is still rolling. I would have to buy three more of them to equal the Bostic one and I only have one more room to go.

Mini Trail screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 02:32 PM
Mini Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #203
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
. Now I'm wondering if it is my compressor that can't maintain high enough pressure.

Probably, check the rated pressure, usually with a tool like this if you are using it and the pressure gauge keeps dropping you need more compressor.

If you are using it and the regulator on your compressor says the tank has ~100, but while in use the line pressure is low, then the regulator is le suck, which I have had a few times.

I replaced a regulator a few years back that was fine for filling tires and air nailing, but when running anything like a die grinder it just didn't flow enough juice.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #204
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
I got one of these and have found it useless. The wheel cuts fine, but it won't turn at high enough rpms long enough to cut. The wheel grinds to a stop with the slightest drag. I always get frusterated and throw the sawzal at the job. Now I'm wondering if it is my compressor that can't maintain high enough pressure.

I bought two of the flooring nailers. The first one got trashed, I probably didn't oil it well enough. The second one is still rolling. I would have to buy three more of them to equal the Bostic one and I only have one more room to go.
I'm running it with a 5HP Quincy and 3/8" ID hose. I doubt it would work well with anything much smaller.

That is one of the problems with at lot of HF air tools. They're inefficient copies of older designs so efficiency isn't one of their features.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #205
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 556
I'm pissed they stopped selling their better moto lift and made the cheaper moto lift a lot more expensive. Now I am going to look elsewhere for a lift.

Had good luck with the folding trailer I got from HF.
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #206
Gamble
b00b

Oddometer: 7
I bought 2 of those $15 angle grinders when they were on sale for $10
Link: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-h...der-95578.html
Pic:

Best $10 investment. One I hardly use because of the disc I put on there and I put a flap whee on the other so I don't have to keep changing discs. This thing has some power, I love it.
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #207
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Split leather work gloves.

These go on sale for about $2 a pair. Hard to find any leather gloves that cheap and they hold up ok.

These are on sale this month for $1.49 according to their flyer. Several of my current pairs of gloves are wearing out and I may get a few of these. I like to keep extra pairs in the car/bike/garage/tool box/with lawn equip/ etc.. in case I forget to take a pair with me and need them.
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #208
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,386
Quote:
I'm running it with a 5HP Quincy and 3/8" ID hose. I doubt it would work well with anything much smaller.

That is one of the problems with at lot of HF air tools. They're inefficient copies of older designs so efficiency isn't one of their features.

Now that you mention this, I did have a similar experience. I was trying to cheap out on a repair, and ended up with a couple of HF air tools. The air socket wrench (skinny with a 90-degree head) seemed to work fine for the small stuff, but the impact wrench was worthless. It just never had the torque to break anything loose. I thought it was the compressor too, but trying the tool with a friends much better compressor yielded the same results. If I get back to owning a compressor again, I will suck it up and only buy high quality tools.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #209
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,167
I bought their cable tie gun:

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...gun-67076.html

It was just OK. I had to do quite a bit of adjusting and sharpening of the blade to get it working properly.

Now it works great. Considering that alternative tools are 10X+ the price I'm willing to put up with some rework.

If I used it every day I'd bin it and get a good one.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #210
rakad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Thumbs down Small Torque Wrench

I bought a small torque wrench, about 12 inches long (they may have smaller ones). It was clearly not calibrated correctly.
rakad is offline   Reply With Quote