User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #211
rakad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Thumbs down Reverse drill bits

Bought a set of reverse (left hand) bits for tapping into small broken bolts, etc. The bits were quite soft, and dulled quickly even on Yamaha pot metal screws.

rakad screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 02:43 PM
rakad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #212
rakad
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Really Really long needle nose pliers

Bought a set of these to help me reach distant fuel lines and vacuum tubes on a six-carbed wonder bike I had. The quality was fine, and they did the job. They haven't been used much, but the hinges are still nice and tight - no sideways slop.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #213
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,292
My dad and I bought "Chicago Electric" motorcycle float chargers. Fried a couple batteries (one in my gf's GS500, one on my dad's Shadow 1100) and the electrical system on the GS has never been quite right since. Not sure how a float charger could fuck up an entire charging system, but it worked fine before she used it, and it's been working poorly with intermittent problems ever since then. I think it shorted a wire/connector somewhere, I just haven't been able to find it. Hand tools I'll buy from them, electrical stuff, never again.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #214
rakad
Gnarly Adventurer

Question 135 db Air Horn

I paid about $20 for one of these at HF. It is not nearly as loud as the similar looking one I got at Schuck's/Reilly Auto Parts for about the same price. Has worked for years, though. (On the car, not the bike.)
Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #215
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Now that you mention this, I did have a similar experience. I was trying to cheap out on a repair, and ended up with a couple of HF air tools. The air socket wrench (skinny with a 90-degree head) seemed to work fine for the small stuff, but the impact wrench was worthless. It just never had the torque to break anything loose. I thought it was the compressor too, but trying the tool with a friends much better compressor yielded the same results. If I get back to owning a compressor again, I will suck it up and only buy high quality tools.
I've got an assortment. Some cheap HF and other low $$ brands, some high quality expensive stuff. The cheap Rockwell 1/2" drive impact I had was really only good for changing tires. I gave it to my son. The 1/2" and 3/4" CP wrenches I have are the real deal.

I've got 2 cheap 3" cutoff tools, one HF, one from someone else. They're both fine as was the 4" HF right angle grinder. They're not as nice as the 3" Dotco I have but they cost about 1/15 as much too. The cheap 1/4" and 3/8" air ratchets I own are also fine.

The nice thing about cheap stuff from China Freight is that if you don't like something just take it back. Maybe if they get enough junk back their quality will improve.

I forgot one other thing I use all the time from Harbor. Not exactly a tool but close enough -

If your attachments fit these things are great.

JSharp screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 11:33 PM
JSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #216
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
My dad and I bought "Chicago Electric" motorcycle float chargers. Fried a couple batteries (one in my gf's GS500, one on my dad's Shadow 1100) and the electrical system on the GS has never been quite right since. Not sure how a float charger could fuck up an entire charging system, but it worked fine before she used it, and it's been working poorly with intermittent problems ever since then. I think it shorted a wire/connector somewhere, I just haven't been able to find it. Hand tools I'll buy from them, electrical stuff, never again.
They never seemed good for me either Anyone use an airless paint sprayer from them? I have a lot of painting to do.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #217
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
These have a disclaimer on the package, not for AGM batteries.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #218
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
I've got an assortment. Some cheap HF and other low $$ brands, some high quality expensive stuff. The cheap Rockwell 1/2" drive impact I had was really only good for changing tires. I gave it to my son. The 1/2" and 3/4" CP wrenches I have are the real deal.

I've got 2 cheap 3" cutoff tools, one HF, one from someone else. They're both fine as was the 4" HF right angle grinder. They're not as nice as the 3" Dotco I have but they cost about 1/15 as much too. The cheap 1/4" and 3/8" air ratchets I own are also fine.

The nice thing about cheap stuff from China Freight is that if you don't like something just take it back. Maybe if they get enough junk back their quality will improve.

I forgot one other thing I use all the time from Harbor. Not exactly a tool but close enough -

If your attachments fit these things are great.
Please enlighten me, what is it?

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #219
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Please enlighten me, what is it?
Looks like a 3 point hitch adapter for quick detach attachments, fits on a tractor
Old 04-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #220
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Looks like a 3 point hitch adapter for quick detach attachments, fits on a tractor
That's it. I know it's not tool or even motorcycle related but I noticed in some of the other threads that a few people on the board own small tractors.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #221
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
That's it. I know it's not tool or even motorcycle related but I noticed in some of the other threads that a few people on the board own small tractors.
I was going to buy one to try to convert an old Internationals hitch to use standard 3 PH, haven't gotten around to it (engine issues need to be fixed first).

Figured I could make plates that would bolt that to the tractor, glad its OK, don't want to spend a lot screwing around with this.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #222
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,501
I was one of those only need it to work once customers and I shopped there exactly once. With the right combination of coupons I walked out with a shop crane and engine stand for not much more than $100. I could care less if the stuff is crap. It got the engine in and out of my Cherokee. Everything since has been bonus time. So I am completely satisfied. But I do feel kind of dirty.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #223
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Pipe Clamp

I have a pair of Pony pipe clamps, and needed 2 more, so I bought the Pittsburgh pipe clamps at HF.

They almost pass. Compared to the Pony, they are slightly harder to use, which doesn't matter when the job is easy, but when you really need that third hand and don't have it, the HF is trickier.

I believe the problem comes down to two things.

1. The clamping surfaces are cheaply cast and are not really flat. With the paint over them, they like to slip off the edge of things until clamped well.
2. The screw isn't as well made and doesn't turn as nicely. It is also a coarser threading.

Overall, as a backup/second set, they aren't bad for 60% of the price of the Ponys. But I'm glad they aren't my only set.

Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #224
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,564
I have the HF street lamp (solar Powered) and it has been great for the last 3 months!

This one on my garage facing the house:

Works great!
Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #225
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Not bike related Harbor Freight tools but...I purchased a Chicago Electric orbital jig saw with laser cutting guide. Also comes with a fence and dust chute. I did not need it for a huge project just needed to replace the wood slats in a metal frame gate. Mainly just had to trim the lumber to the proper length and had to cut two pieces length wise. It worked real well the laser guide was great and has a separate on/off switch. It's easy to put the saw down and forget to turn off the laser though. It came with a pair of replacement brushes for the motor, this is either a good thing for a good long service life or an omen of things to come.

http://www.harborfreight.com/orbital...ide-94560.html

Also have the 1500 watt dual temperature heat gun. I use it mainly for applying and removing decals removing stress marks from plastic bodywork, fenders hand guards etc. on the low setting. Also use it to heat shrink electrical repairs. I don't ever think I've needed the high setting yet , but imagine it wold work well for heating hubs or engine cases to drop in a chilled bearing. Mine is the Chicago Electric brand and was purchased on sale for like $10. Mines yellow but identical to the Drill Master heat gun pictured. It came with a variety of attachments to keep the heat where you want it. So far so good, I'd give both of these tools a homeowners seal of approval. I can't say how well they would hold up under commercial use but at these prices they may not be a bad choice for a back up tool should the more expensive brand name daily use tool gives up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-wa...112-96289.html

Harbor Freight also now has those nice crimp on electrical butt connectors with sealant which does away with the need for heat shrink tubing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/30-pack...ors-66729.html

They also have those very strong but tiny rare earth magnets in 10 packs for like $1.50 when on sale. Great for holding calendars on the fridge or pocket screwdrivers or a 6" inch slide rule to the side of your tool box for easy access.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...ets-67488.html

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country

Tech23 screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 01:41 AM
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote