Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #286
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
The one on the tire changer base works fine as well.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #287
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddMc View Post
It looks small because the tire in the photo is in backwards, look at the contour of the bead breaking surface.

Next time I change a tire I will take a couple shots of it. You hook the rim over the raised rubber/steel support.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #288
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,243
Large C-clamp works well.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #289
EddMc
are we there yet

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Next time I change a tire I will take a couple shots of it. You hook the rim over the raised rubber/steel support.

Jim
When you do send a copy to HF so they can fix there web site.

2007 R1200GS
1997 XR400R
EddMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #290
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Large C-clamp works well.
It can, or it can fail to work at all, and be a PITA to use. Depends on the tire/wheel combo.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #291
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,590
Anyone have experience with the $10 rain suit?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #292
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I picked up a pair of the mini-dollies today. No particular need for them, but they were on sale.

Not sure they would really hold 1000 pounds each, but they seemed pretty decent.

Jim
I like these, especially for the money. I put a 1000 lb bandsaw across two of them. the wood sagged a bit but the casters held up nicely.

I now use them as permanent mobile bases for some tools.
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #293
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,063
The HF digital micrometer works great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ter-68305.html

$34.95 normally, under $28 by using one of the ubiquitous 20% off coupons.

The instructions that came with mine were wrong, but who the hell reads that stuff anyway. Futz with it a bit and it'll make sense.

I switched mine to metric and used it to measure a bunch of valve shims during a couple of valve checks -- it was dead-nuts accurate and consistent.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #294
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,101
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Anyone have experience with the $10 rain suit?

Not something I'd bet on .
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #295
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
For my recent guest house remodel, I had to chisel up about 300 sqft of thinset mortar the PO spread as a floor covering. I called around and could rent a rotary hammer drill for $70/day or buy one from HF for $90. For another $15 I bought a few extra chisels. It took me more than a day to chisel all that crap up, so I've been very happy and more than got my money's worth. It does get HOT after prolonged use. I'd chisel for 15-minutes or so (all my arms/hands could handle anyway) and let it cool for 10 minutes or so.

The wider chisel bit I got did wear down at an angle so by the end of the project it tended to skip and skitter across the surface a bit. But that was my fault for not keeping the hammer straight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-...mer-97743.html
Old 09-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #296
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
I've had one of those for a few years now. You can't beat it for the price. I caught it on sale for $59.99 and used the 20% off on top of that. (back when you could use the 20% off coupon on ANYTHING)
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #297
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
The HF digital micrometer works great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ter-68305.html

$34.95 normally, under $28 by using one of the ubiquitous 20% off coupons.

The instructions that came with mine were wrong, but who the hell reads that stuff anyway. Futz with it a bit and it'll make sense.

I switched mine to metric and used it to measure a bunch of valve shims during a couple of valve checks -- it was dead-nuts accurate and consistent.
Instructions wrong as in????

Just bought one of them and yes for them pesky valve shims, funny they do have variances in the same sizes and much faster to measure with a digital than with a regular micrometer.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #298
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetjoint View Post
I have the heat gun, ' GOOD" the metric hex head sockets "REAL GOOD", and I used to have the orange o-ring picks "JUNK as you indicated

Probably my best one is an old HFT 5 gallon pan cake compressor. I'd guess 15 or so years old. It won't die. I've used the heck out of it. It won't run any air tools. But it is great for tires and to blow the fecal matter off tons of anything I tear apart. Which is almost daily.
I "had the yellow heat gun" & now in the land dump as switch quit. Using the black one past few years with fingers crossed! Anyone giving HF "high speed" drill bits a pass has not used them much? They are not made of suitable material to drill harder materials like steel. Save you money and buy up to the job at hand. Ebay search will save you some money on bits but be certain to ask questions 1st! As to torx bits-again, save your money & either buy a name brand or be prepared to take them back after much use & never buy a torx bit that lacks a take back warranty as they all are subject to fail after much hard use.
Update, just took back the super duper hose nozzle - Chinese takeoff of Bonaire nozzle. It lasted 2-3 weeks, which is barely within the return period. FWIW, just try & find a good hose nozzle anywhere at any price!

kantuckid screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 06:30 AM
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #299
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Instructions wrong as in????

Just bought one of them and yes for them pesky valve shims, funny they do have variances in the same sizes and much faster to measure with a digital than with a regular micrometer.
The instructions and the box listed the wrong battery -- no big deal, since an extra battery came with the micrometer, and it's also a common size (lists an LR/SR44, comes with a CR2032, or at least mine did).

The knobs on the right side are misidentified in the instructions. The smaller "inner" knob is used to quickly move the spindle into position, and you use the larger outer ratcheting knob to apply the exact correct amount of pressure -- turn the knob to tighten against your object until it clicks.

The only thing that really threw me a bit was that the buttons weren't correctly identified or explained in the instructions -- you have to hold down one button for five seconds to switch between inch and mm. The other button zeros the micrometer if you hold it down for five seconds. Not hard to figure out once you get the idea that you have to hold for five seconds to get the other function.

One odd thing I found is that Suzuki GS shims from the '80s were somewhat variable -- a 2.60mm shim might read 2.586 or 2.619. Shims from later bikes (like a 2001 GS500) and new aftermarket shims were all dead on.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #300
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
The instructions and the box listed the wrong battery -- no big deal, since an extra battery came with the micrometer, and it's also a common size (lists an LR/SR44, comes with a CR2032, or at least mine did).

The knobs on the right side are misidentified in the instructions. The smaller "inner" knob is used to quickly move the spindle into position, and you use the larger outer ratcheting knob to apply the exact correct amount of pressure -- turn the knob to tighten against your object until it clicks.

The only thing that really threw me a bit was that the buttons weren't correctly identified or explained in the instructions -- you have to hold down one button for five seconds to switch between inch and mm. The other button zeros the micrometer if you hold it down for five seconds. Not hard to figure out once you get the idea that you have to hold for five seconds to get the other function.

One odd thing I found is that Suzuki GS shims from the '80s were somewhat variable -- a 2.60mm shim might read 2.586 or 2.619. Shims from later bikes (like a 2001 GS500) and new aftermarket shims were all dead on.
Thanks....just what I found about the instructions.Now where is the darn "zero"? Was fine by me I have something else that works the same, hold for a few seconds to reset. But that was after replacing the dead battery with the good one.