Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #361
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Got my father one for Christmas and he carries it with him and checks his food temp every time he eats. Drives my mother nuts...(they are pushing 80 years old)
I don't know why she would think this unusual. I'm assuming your father is an engineer.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #362
VBdiver
disconcerted

Oddometer: 50
motorcycle lift

Paid $300 with a coupon . Lucky to get one , they sell as soon as the truck delivers to the store in Norfolk . I am really impressed how sturdy it is . I upgraded to a better wheel chock . I installed it with 3/8 carriage bolts with wing nuts so I can remove it if I need to do fork work etc...
The supplied wheel lock looked very sketchy . A vise like clamp that I wouldn't trust to hold a bicycle .

btw: for the Harley haters , that is a permanent stain on the floor, not oil ....lol

VBdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #363
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,805
Looks good to me, just like mine!

But cleaner!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #364
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBdiver View Post
The supplied wheel lock looked very sketchy . A vise like clamp that I wouldn't trust to hold a bicycle .

btw: for the Harley haters , that is a permanent stain on the floor, not oil ....lol

The suppiled wheel chock will hold a C14 fine. Not sure about a Harley though.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #365
biosci
Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 192
HF Lift Table & HD bagger ???

Do you think this table (with the better front wheel chock) would handle a full dress harley? FLHTCUI

Seems like it would be maxed out...
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #366
VBdiver
disconcerted

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci View Post
Do you think this table (with the better front wheel chock) would handle a full dress harley? FLHTCUI

Seems like it would be maxed out...

1000 lb capacity , it's very sturdy , however it's narrow and you are at least 5 inches off the floor once you drive up the ramp . Not much room for feet or a misstep . You could walk it up but I wouldn't do it without help . I was nervous the first time I drove my Sportster on it . I upgraded the wheel chock so I could dismount without worry prior to strapping . A Sportster is around 540# , a bagger is maybe 700+ . It has 2 locking positions . I used a wheeled stool to work on my exhaust in the lower position & the bike felt rock solid up there .
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #367
VBdiver
disconcerted

Wheel chock

Please note : That wheel chock I used has 3 positions so it's best to try it out on the ground because once the front wheel gets trapped it might be tough to back out because you might be too high or too low . Temp screw it down on a piece of plywood to find that sweet spot . If not held down it may roll back with you and jack up that nice front fender or come damn close ...lol
Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #368
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
Please note : That wheel chock I used has 3 positions so it's best to try it out on the ground because once the front wheel gets trapped it might be tough to back out because you might be too high or too low . Temp screw it down on a piece of plywood to find that sweet spot . If not held down it may roll back with you and jack up that nice front fender or come damn close ...lol
what wheel chock did you use?? I guess the one in the picture, duh,, is that a hF one?
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #369
VBdiver
disconcerted

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
what wheel chock did you use?? I guess the one in the picture, duh,, is that a hF one?

yep Harbor Freight

I see you have a DR650 . I have an '03 , great bike , tough as nails
Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #370
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Yep -- if you watch the coupons in the moto-mags, you can get that gray chock for $25. I have two in my trailer -- simple, cheap, strong, crude. What more do you need?

Just roll the bikes in, then strap 'em down at your leisure.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #371
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
yep Harbor Freight

I see you have a DR650 . I have an '03 , great bike , tough as nails
Here is the DR on the HF lift. DR had been stored 1/2 outside for 3 years, this is it starting the go through. Gas, carb clean and a battery is all it needed. Now it has much more . I have the front wheel squeezing clamp which is ok for keeping the wheel straight when strapped down but is a pain in the butt when loading a bigger bike so I think I'll replace it with a chock I can roll the bike onto. I dropped a Bimota once
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #372
VBdiver
disconcerted

Quote:
Here is the DR on the HF lift. DR had been stored 1/2 outside for 3 years, this is it starting the go through. Gas, carb clean and a battery is all it needed. Now it has much more . I have the front wheel squeezing clamp which is ok for keeping the wheel straight when strapped down but is a pain in the butt when loading a bigger bike so I think I'll replace it with a chock I can roll the bike onto. I dropped a Bimota once

those bikes are almost bullet proof . take a ton of abuse .

I have to figure a way to get crankshaft access cover off . Previous owner tried with an Allen that was 2 sizes too small & rounded it out really nice . Have a new one from ProCycle . Need to get in there to adjust valves .

Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #373
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,456
I've wanted one of those Infrared Thermometers for a long time. Bought the Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight for $49.95. Works great. Mail ordered this because I was just not in a hurry to get it. Well it was slow but we just had Xmas and I was happy with it anyway. I'll be able to tell how the AC is doing next season. Yeah.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #374
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
The bike I am currently restoring has a nasty dent in the tank and the next bike I will be doing has a shallow cave in on one whole side so decided to try the harbor freight stud welder kit I am not a fan of harbor freight and at 50 years old and a lifle long tool junkie this is actually the first harbor freight tool purchase for me.

the kit comes with the welder and two different size tips and a handfull of studs for each tip and a slide hammer designed to work with the studs. The welder works perfectly with both size studs and the tips are easy to change. The online reviews for the slide hammer were almost unanamous in their opinion that the slide hammer didn't work. I had zero problems with the slide hammer on the small studs but had a bit of a problem with it on the larger studs. I did eventualy figure out that if I held the locking cam with my finger for the first few hit with the slide that I could get the hammer to grip the larger studs about 95% of the time I'm sure with a bit of re engineering and a file the locking cam could be improved but for the ocasional use it will get in my shop it is fine as is.

I paid $99 for the kit on sale but even for the regular price I think this tool is a great value for the time it can save.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #375
The Stew
Why not Zoidberg?

For $9.99 a pop these cant be beat. I mean they click when they get to what you set them too, what more can you ask? Pass. Ended up getting all 3 sizes.

2006 KLR650 Aztek Red / SW Motec Bars, Givi Top Case, Tank Bag, PMR Rear Luggage Guard, IMS Pro pegs, Mirror Relocation mod, Moose Folding Shift Lever, Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulators, T-Mod, Coleman Seat Cover, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Horse Saddlebags, Drill Through Subframe Upgrade, 12.9 Bolts, Doohickey, 16TFS, AGM Battery, AeroLED Tail Light
The Stew is offline   Reply With Quote