Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 06:16 AM   #571
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Most likely the Mojo Lever and Mojo Blocks. Makes mounting tires a breeze and you won't scratch the rims.

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #572
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,082
Getting back to HF tools, I bought the 24" tire irons from HF:

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch...ron-93230.html

As noted in their image, the bar is not flat but has ridges on both sides. This serves to reinforce the bar allowing some good leverage to easily bend an aluminum rim. These would be good for a steel truck/tractor wheel. Rim protectors will help but not stop gouging where these ridges contact the rim. However, the price is right and an angle grinder can modify the tire iron if someone was determined to use them. I kept mine as pry bars or use with steel rims.

FWIW, I use the plastic stubby tire irons (http://www.stubbytiretools.com/). After getting a pair, I figured out how to make them out of delrin rod. Most certainly a technique specific tool - but the plastic tools make it difficult to mar or bend an aluminum rim. Of course, YMMV.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #573
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,038
My last few trips to HF have not been particularly happy ones. I am starting to see some patterns. First off, prices are not that cheap on some things. I bought an electric pressure washer at Home Depot for $99 yesterday, their every day price. Less 5% with my Pro rewards account. I noticed this morning, HF had a similar one (probably the same factory) for $89 on sale but regularly $139. Certainly no deal there.

There has been 2 items I have wanted which are perpetually out of stock, a two piece loading ramp and the scaffold. They continue to advertise them at attractive prices but they don't seem to actually exist in store stocks. I bought another scaffold nearly identical for $10 more at a local tool store.

This morning I walked in with some coupons, did some shopping and discovered 15 people waiting for one cashier, decided nothing in my basket was that important and walked out. I have also wondered about the overwhelming smell of cheap plastic in that store and its health effects. It can't be good, gives me a headache. I feel for the workers.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #574
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
My last few trips to HF have not been particularly happy ones. I am starting to see some patterns. First off, prices are not that cheap on some things. I bought an electric pressure washer at Home Depot for $99 yesterday, their every day price. Less 5% with my Pro rewards account. I noticed this morning, HF had a similar one (probably the same factory) for $89 on sale but regularly $139. Certainly no deal there.

There has been 2 items I have wanted which are perpetually out of stock, a two piece loading ramp and the scaffold. They continue to advertise them at attractive prices but they don't seem to actually exist in store stocks. I bought another scaffold nearly identical for $10 more at a local tool store.
Check the various car/moto mags. I found a coupon in one of the monthly HF ads and purchased the same electric power washer last Spring, for $69, and it has stood up to weekly use all summer long.

Also, if the store is out of stock, they can, and should, be able to special order an item for you and honor whatever coupon you have.
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #575
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
Getting back to HF tools, I bought the 24" tire irons from HF:
I agree that it's a good inexpensive tire iron for rasslin' car, truck, and equipment tires on steel rims. Definitely shouldn't be used on motorcycles!

I've also thought about cutting one in half to end up with two 12" tire irons with different tips. After all, the faster you take care of those pesky four-wheeled vehicles, the sooner you can get back to motorcycling.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #576
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
I have the tire changer which you can't get anymore, with mojo blocks and lever I'm happy with it.
I got the bore scope one Christmas very handy tool, it lasted 6 months then died.
I like their wrenches, they are nicely finished and make my craftsman look clunky, cheap enough I buy a couple of sets to leave out in the tool shed so I don't have to keep running to the garage for a quick fix and i haven't broken one yet.
The little 2 stroke generator for $99 dollars, when we had that freak October snow storm 2 years back it kept the refrigerator and TV and a lamp going for 7 days, and my electric chain saw going ( my gas one would not start) best $99 I ever spent.
I have so many free flashlights which is good because they seem to carp out even with good batteries after a year or two.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #577
Pez
b00b

Oddometer: 580
Anyone tried the Digital Caliper yet? For so cheap it'd be nice to keep around if its half way accurate.

A message for all of Humanity
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #578
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
Yes, I have one of the stainless steel ones that was on sale for $10 a few months ago. Works great, very smooth and accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Anyone tried the Digital Caliper yet? For so cheap it'd be nice to keep around if its half way accurate.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #579
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
They give the same readings as my Brown & Sharpe and Mitutoyo calipers. They're cheap enough that I don't feel bad using their jaws to scribe layout lines. I also mounted a pair on my lathe quill as a poor man's DRO.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #580
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,850
I have found in my limited usage that the HF calipers are accurate enough. I don't know if they all do it but mine eats up the battery when I leave it in.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #581
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
I had an old plastic one that ate batteries but the steel one doesn't. Same battery in it now for 6 or 7 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
I have found in my limited usage that the HF calipers are accurate enough. I don't know if they all do it but mine eats up the battery when I leave it in.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #582
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Same battery in it now for 6 or 7 months.
Same here. I have several calipers of different sizes so found a really cheap source of batteries on ebay so I would always have them.

Just keep in mind that you aren't buying top drawer stuff here. I find them accurate when tested on my micrometer standards, but the features, finish and the feel is different than the more expensive stuff.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #583
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,871
Had my steel one now for over 2 years - same battery.
Works great but I rarely use it.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #584
MikeinEugene
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,438
I picked up the $8 on sale set of mig welding pliers the other day. Tips don't line up very well, quite a bit of slop in the jaws opposite of normal direction & the cutters won't cut my .030 wire without having to twist.

They're going back & I guess I'll order a set of Channel Lock brand
MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #585
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,082
I found that customer quality control is sometimes needed with HF tools. My MIG pliers - which are the same style and design as a more expensive brand name - work great. Probably one out of every (ten ?) pairs are not so good. But, all the features are there and they cut 0.030" steel wire fine at the correct length.

Only the customer can decide if the cost savings is worth exchanging and fiddling with some tools. Harbor freight has a very good exchange and return policy. The packaging makes those pliers fairly easy to inspect - once someone knows what to look for. The name brand (identical) MIG pliers only cost ~ $20.00.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote