Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #631
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
how are the harbor freight bike ramps for loading my bike into my truck?

I have the straight one. Wide, tri-fold more for loading something like a quad or lawn mower. Used on a few KLRs, ST1300 and DRZs.

Works great, just mind your ground clearance on the bike if your truck is tall. This guy does it wrong. Has the nose of the truck in the ditch, needs to put the rear in there to lower the tailgate. The curved, one piece style prevent this mistake!

KeithinSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #632
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
I have the straight one. Wide, tri-fold more for loading something like a quad or lawn mower. Used on a few KLRs, ST1300 and DRZs.

Works great, just mind your ground clearance on the bike if your truck is tall. This guy does it wrong. Has the nose of the truck in the ditch, needs to put the rear in there to lower the tailgate. The curved, one piece style prevent this mistake!

Clueless. Find a place where you can park the truck and ride the bike on basically level. They could not have done this any more backward.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #633
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Clueless. Find a place where you can park the truck and ride the bike on basically level. They could not have done this any more backward.

Jim
+1 skinny ramp, no assist, no helmet. Seen people go through the back window as well
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #634
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,020
Bluhduh

My compression tester does NOT have a M10 adapter.

So I was wondering if anybody got the HF compression tester kit for $21.00. It does have the M10 adapter. I'd prefer just to buy the adapter instead of a whole new kit...

http://www.harborfreight.com/compres...kit-66216.html
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #635
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,165
This code reader...

works fine on my 2000 Ford but will not read my 2003 Silverado.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #636
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
My compression tester does NOT have a M10 adapter.

So I was wondering if anybody got the HF compression tester kit for $21.00. It does have the M10 adapter. I'd prefer just to buy the adapter instead of a whole new kit...

http://www.harborfreight.com/compres...kit-66216.html
Had to do that recently, that's a M10 to NPT from some hydraulic shop, an adapter/union? and pipe threaded into the gauge fitting.

Works the same for the 12mm but that one I had to make out of an old spark plug.

I got an oil pressure gauge kit from HF....less than $10.00 on clearance and came with a lot of fittings. Works good...but worth it if just for all the fittings that came with it.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #637
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,056
I finally picked up a nice Toro Personal Pace Recycler mower a couple of weekends ago. As it turned out the nice mower was a bad buy as the motor was shot. Luckily I didn't put out too much $.

I did a bit of research and the HF Predator 5.5 hp engine got pretty good reviews, so I printed the 25% off coupon and picked one up for ~$87. First one was not good the plastic cover was cracked and the tank was not going to hold fuel. So back it went, and I opened the replacement in the store, everything was fine.

Took it home and installed it, broke it in, and I have to say it's a pretty good little engine. It runs the mower really well, and it's a mulching monster.

Obviously I don't want to hve to find any replacement parts, but the normal consumables are B&S airfilter, and NGK plugs. It even has a cast iron cylinder. I have changed the oil a bit more than needed, and plan to take really good care of it, but for a sub $100 motor it seems to be a pretty good buy.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #638
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Good Compressors

I got this as a replacement for an old reed valve compressor that was stolen. A 29 gallon tank that pumps to 150 PSI in 6 minutes.No strain,no drama,just pumps it right up there.It starts right up without issue at the low pressure kick-in point as well. The regulator looks cheap and the motor is chinese. But the tank and fittings are very similar to the American built 60 gallon unit. The 29 gallon tank is a major pass. Steel safety cage is a major pass. Much better build quality than I would expect. Nice paint. The motor can be wired to 220 v if you desire. The oil drain plug is tiny and in a horrible location if you want to keep your machine clean. I will add an extension pipe at the first oil change.

This is the American unit with an AO smith motor. Called the 800 number to be sure about what oil the tech would recommend,and got a guy at the North Carolina factory. That is correct. made in the USA! Outstanding paint quality made the stuff at Lowes and Depot look like absolute crap.

I am glad to see that HF is going to higher price points to get better stuff built.

Both these compressors need to be kept upright while shipping them home. The 60 gallon unit is very tall. And Top heavy! I was very fortunate to have a set of forks for my skid steer loader to unload the beast
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #639
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

^^^ Glad you brought the 29 Gal up....I have been poring over their offerings. Specs are 45" high and that may be a problem for me, minivan is exactly 45" and you are right, NO storing on the side.

Could you measure it for me??? even 1/4" over the 45" will be a problem, I may have to remove the carpets and whatever passes for a liner under that and just maybe gain 1/2".
Old 10-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #640
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
^^^ Glad you brought the 29 Gal up....I have been poring over their offerings. Specs are 45" high and that may be a problem for me, minivan is exactly 45" and you are right, NO storing on the side.

Could you measure it for me??? even 1/4" over the 45" will be a problem, I may have to remove the carpets and whatever passes for a liner under that and just maybe gain 1/2".
I got my upright compressor from a different vendor, but it came on a nice oak pallet, so it was actually much taller than the specs indicate.

I don't know if that's how the HF comes but you may want to ask. It makes it much less tippy, but probably ads 7-8".
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #641
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
I got my upright compressor from a different vendor, but it came on a nice oak pallet, so it was actually much taller than the specs indicate.

I don't know if that's how the HF comes but you may want to ask. It makes it much less tippy, but probably ads 7-8".
Oak....There is always use for some of that around here, not native and rather expensive to buy. Other than that I'd leave them the pallet, last thing I need is more wood.

Tippy I can handle...30+ years at sea, I can secure stuff with the best of them.

Lets see...any of you guys have the 2.5L ultrasonic cleaner or the 5lb vibrator/tumbler? I have a couple good coupons...25% and also a 20% I think if that one isn't expired.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #642
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post

The highest point on the unit with the wheels and rubber feet installed is 41.5"

I used a straightedge and measured to the concrete floor on both sides of the compressor-- so pretty accurate
With the wheels off,the tank drain valve removed and the rubber feet not installed.I am sure that you could subtract another 1.5 inches.
It comes mounted on a skid,so that is probably where the 45' measurement comes from
So now you guys with even smaller vans might be able to squeeze it in...
Old 10-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #643
-Slider-
New and Improved

Oddometer: 799
Ball joint press

Bought the ball joint press on sale, something Like $69

http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-jo...cles-4065.html

I intended to use it changing the ball joints on my 2001 GMC 2500 HD 4wd. The press might have been ok for changing ball joints on a lesser vehicle, but it spread open when I used a 1/2" drive ratchet and a 6' cheater bar to break the ball joint loose.
By comparison, the ball joint press which I rented from O'Reilly (for free) after I broke my HF tool stood up to that abuse and finished the job.
Again these were really tough ball joints to get out, lots of pressure, heating the arm with a torch, etc.
I give HF a C- on this tool.
Originally Posted by Ex#2
he really is the better half. I'm a very lucky wife.
-Slider- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #644
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
I finally picked up a nice Toro Personal Pace Recycler mower a couple of weekends ago. As it turned out the nice mower was a bad buy as the motor was shot. Luckily I didn't put out too much $.

I did a bit of research and the HF Predator 5.5 hp engine got pretty good reviews, so I printed the 25% off coupon and picked one up for ~$87. First one was not good the plastic cover was cracked and the tank was not going to hold fuel. So back it went, and I opened the replacement in the store, everything was fine.

Took it home and installed it, broke it in, and I have to say it's a pretty good little engine. It runs the mower really well, and it's a mulching monster.

Obviously I don't want to hve to find any replacement parts, but the normal consumables are B&S airfilter, and NGK plugs. It even has a cast iron cylinder. I have changed the oil a bit more than needed, and plan to take really good care of it, but for a sub $100 motor it seems to be a pretty good buy.
I agree, but the thing I do not like is having to tip the engine basically upside down to change the oil. I have your mower with the original engine and it is a very good unit

I am lucky to have one of the last true Wheelhorse Tractors -[a 520 H] ever built .However,when you lose the 20 horsepower Onan Engine that it came with,you are talking huge dollars to repair it.
The Harbor Freight 420cc [14hp] motor can be adapted if you are willing to run without a hood . It is a torque monster and will get as much work done on half the fuel. Runs a hydro drive and 48' deck with no issues.
The cheapo electric start solenoid wiring may grenade on you,but I just run on the pull start. Starts second pull every time.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #645
-Slider-
New and Improved

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
how are the harbor freight bike ramps for loading my bike into my truck?
I have had both the narrow and the wide ramp.
I overloaded the narrow ramp and bent it backwards putting a '99 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad on a trailer. Fortunately it was a low trailer, neither the bike or I were injured and no one had a camera.

The wide ramp has stood up to everything I can throw at it. Including the Nomad. It is a pretty short ramp, so like others have said I recommend positioning the truck or trailer near a berm, etc where you can lessen the angle.
Originally Posted by Ex#2
he really is the better half. I'm a very lucky wife.
-Slider- is offline   Reply With Quote