Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #106
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,380
0-100 Oil pressure gauge, $5.00 on clearance, Pass, tested against a very good one.

Microtorch also "Pass".... for now.

Left hand drill bits...Pass in wood.

Drill bit collars....Pass.

Sheet metal pliers...Pass but only after I went through the whole pile to find a pair with even jaws and still spent some time with a file to clean the castings.

Metric fasteners...Fail,way too much play on the threads.May get me out of a bind someday but.....Cheesy.

Spot Sandblaster, if the filler cap did stay on maybe a Pass.

Hollow punch set you can chuck in a drill, had my doubts but did work well on some thick leather. Pass!

Shrink tube, Pass but only because they had some hard to find sizes. Not too Fuel/Oil proof.

Spark plug threadchaser, Pass on the neighbor's tractor but only to clean the threads, NOT re-thread.

Sparktester.....Pass on a XR100R.

Then I looked at a display motorcycle jack.....got scared by the poor welds and the oil already spreading at the foot of the cylinder.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb...lift-2792.html

Sheesh....left Canada with an empty saddlebag thinking I could fill it up, three messy stores later that is all I could find .

Old 01-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #107
VTWIN-The Real VTWIN
ZEPHYR

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Also, the motorcycle tire changer. Good. (With some aftermarket additions, Excellent!)

+1 on the tire changer and mojo bar. The only problem I had was with the mojo bar socket head bolt fastening the teflon tire removal end. It bent trying to remove a stuborn tire. Quickly fixed with a new grade 8!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #108
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,572
I've only had to order a part for one HF tool, a new chuck for a drill press. Cost $4 and was shipped promptly via USPS. No complaints from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albondigas View Post
I've bought a ton of tools and a couple trailers from HF. I'd give most of their power tools a C... that's until you try to get parts for any of them! They seem to have forgotten that things break. I've NEVER had any luck getting parts for their stuff!
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #109
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,387
Those battery tenders are an epic fail.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #110
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
The with the HF battery tenders is you can't tell if they are working or not.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #111
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
I've never bothered to use one on a battery, but I bought one to use as a DC source for doing the electrolysis method of cleaning a steel tank. I didn't want to use an expensive BatteryTender for this task, but the cheapo HF one worked great (albeit slowly).
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #112
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
These units are not advertised as Battery Tenders or chargers. They will NOT replace a Battery Tender or a charger.

A quick look at the specs for a low end ($30-40) Battery Tender http://batterytender.com/motorcycle/...-at-0-75a.html and my description of the HF unit will clearly show that.

They work for me.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #113
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
The with the HF battery tenders is you can't tell if they are working or not.
Sure can. If they are plugged in, they're not working.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #114
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,506
Stud finder!

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-...ter-92375.html

I've used the hell out of this lately in my new house and garage. It works great, and still on the original, supplied, 3 year old battery!

BIG PASS!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #115
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Stud finder eh... I'll pass that along to my ex-wife!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #116
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Harbor Freight

Bloody hell, they recently opened a Harbor Freight about 4 blocks away from my apartment so now I'm hooked. Was drooling over some of their cycle jack stands recently and then they put the one I was looking at on sale for $60 w/coupon. Done and done. It is basic but a buddy of mine has a similar Craftsman that he payed $150 for. New 1/4' drive socket set, another torque wrench, bungee cords, etc., etc., etc.

Darren
'09 KLR (blue)
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #117
SureRide
Banned

Oddometer: 793
Welcome to the Addiction
SureRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #118
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,136
The $269 HF lift

The $269 bike lift worked great for my 400 lb. vintage bike..... but I wasn't sure about the 850 lb. land barge cruiser. I just put it up to adjust the valves, NO PROBLEMS. I was pleasantly surprised Not sure how many times it would do so, but for my occasional use, I'm pleased. Now there is another 400 lb. vintage back up there.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #119
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,601
Overall satisfaction with HF purchases: 8/10. They usually have the odds and ends which other places don't have and places on the internet charge 10 times the amount from HF.

Tire changer (7/10): Works like a charm. Already changed at least 4 sets of tires on it. Put some pads on the cleets to keep from scratching the rim. From time to time it does come loose on the adjusting arm which clamps the wheel. The mounting plate pole needs to have a flat spot grinded on it (or a hole) to keep the stand from pivoting. I got a No Mar changing bar but that thing turned out to be junk. If the stand was more stable, the bar might be more useful. I just resort to spoons to chage so the changer is just an expensive wheel holder.

Blind bearing/Pilot Bearing puller and Bearing/Seal installer (10/10): How did I get this far without buying this? Works great.

Various hand tools (10/10): No complaints. I keep a spare mechanics set in the truck since it's cheap and if it breaks, it can be replaced through HF.

Parts washer and benchtop blasting cabinet (8/10): The pump in the parts washer went out after a few hours of use. I purchased a spare through Northern Tool for $30. Otherwise, it's just a tub with a pump and does it's job. No problems with the blaster.

Hydraulic jacks (9/10): It leaked a bit for a while but still works.

Ultrasonic cleaner (10/10): Came in handy for cleaning carbs. Put at least a couple hours on it.

6" Buffer (10/10): Works. Does get rediculously hot.

3 Jaw Puller (1/10): I did have one grenade on me once. I using it for its intended purpose and all of a sudden, it exploded (literally). It's just cast.

Various pneumatic tools (8/10): Just keep them oiled and hope they last.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #120
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,305
my experience with HF has been pretty good. but I've mostly stuck to low tech/heavy items and consumables. which IMHO has been world class tools. notice I stated low tech/heavy tools.

Warning!!! watch out for ratings claims from Chinese goods. Reduce by 50% until proven otherwise. for instance the 6 ton jack stands below.. I'd use 3 tons until proven otherwise. the 400amp grounding clamp below really is a 400amp clamp.

have had a dismal track record with Chinese hydraulic products. they all started out working great, but have all leaked after too few cycles. got a 2 ton cherry picker that still works great, but it only gets used twice a year for 4 years now. convinced if that same cherry picker got used every day, it'd be leaking long ago. vs

American made hydraulics probably would still be working great 50 years later. catch is American hydraulics could cost 5x $$$$. IHMO USA hydraulics have priced themselves out of the market. much rather purchase a used American made hydraulic floor jack vs a brand new HF floor jack.

for instance ... 6 ton HF jack stands $45 set ... good as any I've used.

HF 400amp welding ground $16, easily good as $55 American made one.

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 08:36 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote