Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Asia Pacific
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
Air shipping from USA to Asia (Thailand, Singapore, etc...)

I want to ship my bike by air from USA to somewhere in South East Asia. Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, etc... Specific destination not so important.
I'm not having much luck in finding information on air shipments in this direction.

So.... If you've air shipped your bike from USA to Asia please chime in with info about price, shipper, and from/to!

Thanks.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
I ended up using Air Parcel Express (APX) to ship (by air) from Orlando, Florida, USA to Jakarta Indonesia. They also do sea cargo.
Their web address is:
International Shipping, International Cargo, Freight Forwarder, Air Cargo, Ocean Containers, Air Parcel Express, Inc
https://www.freight-calculator.com/AirCalculators.asp
Air Cargo ALL CARGO AIRCRAFT Freight Forwarder APX International Shipping

They weren't fabulous, they were't terrible. Just average. They wouldn't be my first choice to do this again but I wouldn't avoid them either. My bike got there about a week late (20 days from pickup to delivery). Price (mind you this is a large bike with a sidecar) was $3700, about the same as their instant quote had estimated.

I packed it pretty tight and the dimensions of the crate were:
(L x W x H) 89 x 52 x 47
125.9 cubic feet, 3.56 cubic meters

If I did this again I may put the sidecar in a separate box. It would probably take more overall space (two shoes in one box takes less space than each show in it's own box, ya know) but the motorcycle ships as hazardous cargo (at an increased price) and when the sidecar is with it then the whole volume/weight is one big hazmat package. But the sidecar by itself would not be hazmat.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Can you describe what happens on the other side when the bike got to Jakarta? Was the pickup process easy and straightforward? Were there any additional expenses?

And of course, how is it riding in Indonesia so far?
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Josh69
Uhhh

Oddometer: 593
And if you are lazy or not particularly mechanically minded, do you really need to take the wheel etc off?
Josh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #5
Tenerrod
Backyard Hack

Oddometer: 1,021
Dont know about shipping from US to Asia apart from dont bother trying to get your bike into Singapore. They are way to narrow minded to understand world travellers. Im a regular visitor to Singas and l can confirm this.
The Yugoslav chappy, Andy, forget his forum name, stayed at my place for a bit last year here in Perth. He said there isnt a hope in hell of even trucking your bike into Singapore let alone riding it.
As for Indonesia there is generally a ferry every day from Island to Island.
Good luck.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh69 View Post
And if you are lazy or not particularly mechanically minded, do you really need to take the wheel etc off?
No but the freight is calculated based on the overall size of the crate. The smaller you get it the cheaper the freight.

Air freight into Bangkok is pretty straight foward. There are a couple of reports on the Horizons site. Malaysia should be ok too as they are perhaps the most civilized and liberal minded of all SEA countries. Travelling overland into Malaysia is the easiest country I've ever been to.
You need a CDP for Indonesia.
If you need to go to Singapore I just park my bike in Jahor Bahru and take the bus over the bridge. Takes only 20 minutes including passing the checkpoints.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote