User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Ramv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
950 SE-R vs 690 Enduro

I have looked at a few 990 Adv, love the dual tank/slim design however myy wife doesn't want to part with the Multi for touring, (hard cases, roomy back seat, heated grips, 45mpg), but I want something in between my old KLX and the MTS. The KLX is slow (55 mph up some of the hills around the house), rough, (bent rims) and retardly easy to ride at slow speeds, even in ice and snow. Nothing scares me on it, other then traffic. Much like a mtn bike. It also has no value so nothing to worry about there. (probably about the same as my beat down, thousands of miles mountain bike)

I am considering a more Enduro based bike, something I can ride the medium trails and connect the highways. Kokopelli trail, all the passes around Denver, just stuff I don't want my Ducati sliding down. I own a truck but would rather be able to ride to and from and connect trails, and just go places I wouldn't otherwise go..

One of the things in Colorado, the highways are always busy, so being able to get to 85+ quick is critical, and being able to pass at triple digits on 2 lanes doesn't hurt but can be worked around.

I am considering a used 950 SE-R or 2012 690 Enduro. (or perhaps a 630 TE, but it seems like there are more KTM dealers). Obviously I am posting this in OC, so I would expect some leanings one way, but I would like to hear the pro/cons on the 950 SE-R vs. a large thumper with EFI.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
I would go the 950 SE, it will do everything and more. It will scare you and you will fall in love with it. It's fast becoming an iconic and collectable motorcycle. The biggest problem is you will spend all your money farkling it and never want to stop riding it. I love mine and will never sell it. I have seen a gun rider on a SE chase down 450's on single trail and then blast home on the highway. Amazing motorcycle in capable hands.

Is that biased enough?

crash n bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
The main differences are:

SE = a lot more heavy / 690 = a lot more lightweight
SE has a lot more power / 690 has a lot less power
SE has carburetors / 690 has EFI

Both are capable doing highway, the SE will do it much more easily.
Both are capable doing offroad, the 690 will do it much more easily.

So your chose mainly depends on your intended use: offroad vs. highway.

As an SE owner (no experience with the 690) I can also say this:
- The bike is capable to do a lot, the limiting factor is the rider.
- Fuel range is very limited. If you want more fuel range, take the cost of a safari tank into account.
- Take the typical LC8 modifications into account (if not already done by previuous owner); fuel pump, water pump, side stand relocator, stronger skid plate, clutch slave.
- Be careful with heay loads on the subframe.
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,486
For what you are talking about doing, I think the 690 is the way to go. The longer I have had my 950, the less I want to prove what it can do. Early on, I was all about "yeah, so what if you can do that on a 400, watch me do it on this 950". And although the 950 can and will do amazing things, every once in a while, it reminds you that it is a 400+ pounds and almost 100hp; and those little reminders are often painful and expensive. She now fits the niche of my very-capable long-distance dual sport, rather than my do-anything bike.

I have ridden my biddy's well set-up 690 off road, and have taken long trips with him. Whether I was on my 650R, or my 950SE, I am always wishing I was on his 690...except on long boring stretches of highway. He regularly got 50+ mpg when riding like a law-abiding citizen, when the bike was stock with Akros. He has since added an aftermarket EFI switchy thingamajig, and his mpg has dropped, but still much better than my 650R.

The only problem I have with the 690 is its price. For a single cylinder, it is VERY expensive. Even the used ones make me blush at the price, then you still have to reconcile issues of fuel range, lighting, luggage, glichy EFI, etc, before I would feel comfortable taking the bike on a long ride.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
For what you are talking about doing, I think the 690 is the way to go. The longer I have had my 950, the less I want to prove what it can do. Early on, I was all about "yeah, so what if you can do that on a 400, watch me do it on this 950". And although the 950 can and will do amazing things, every once in a while, it reminds you that it is a 400+ pounds and almost 100hp; and those little reminders are often painful and expensive. She now fits the niche of my very-capable long-distance dual sport, rather than my do-anything bike.
+1

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,649
I've had both though my seat time on the 950SE is lacking since I got it right before the snow hit, then suspension went of to SPS and now its in pieces being reborn.

As Hick said and I can't stress this enough, the 950SE in the hands of an elite rider can/will do anything and everything. Sadly most of us aren't that rider. I know I'm not. Its fun to ride but I think if I make a mistake in the wrong situation it's just going to chew me up and spit me out. I liked the 950 ADV but the fairing beat me up so I ended up on the SE.

I bought my SE because I want one bike (too many other things going on for me to have more than one).

There is something magical about a bike like the 690 weighing in at just over 300lbs stock and making 60hp. I felt indestructible on mine. Twisties or trail its alot of fun. If the road is long and straight or just uninteresting the magic disappears fast.

Sure the SE feels light under the right conditions, so does a Goldwing.

If you've got a big mile bike like a Multi then get the 690.

Think of it this way the 690 is the largest of the small bikes, the 950 is currently the smallest of the big bikes (in terms of weight). Both are pretty raw for touring. 690 has the edge in terms of fuel economy, cheaper parts in general, if you want a SM wheelset for example is much more affordable on the 690. Its still being made so there is a greater selection of parts and fairings as well.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,122
I'd skip the 690 alltogether and go for a 530. Plenty of punch for connecting roads and way more capable than the SE off-road. You already have a multi for road trips.

or

Buy a well setup SE for about $9k, ride it awhile and if you don't like it, sell it for about $9k. It's the most capable dual-sport ever made.

I may be a little biased.

-dod
Old 12-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
I'd skip the 690 alltogether and go for a 530. Plenty of punch for connecting roads and way more capable than the SE off-road. You already have a multi for road trips.

or

Buy a well setup SE for about $9k, ride it awhile and if you don't like it, sell it for about $9k. It's the most capable dual-sport ever made.

I may be a little biased.

-dod
+1

I had a 625 and it was too big for the tight stuff and undergeared for the freeway.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
Ramv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like I need one of each, and a 530 !

(space and money unlimited, I would and a 300 too).

I have my 250 for tight technical nasty trail stuff. What I really am looking for is a bike that makes up for the Multi's complete lack of offroad capability. Something i can drive 200 miles on road, 30 miles on a jeep trail in a day.

What are the advantages to the SE-R over an Adventure R? Obviously better visibility, and a little ligher, what else?

'07 Super Enduro 950
Old 12-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
If you want to minimize the penalty when having fun off road, go with the 690. I've spend numerous 300km+ days on the 690, including everything from 150km/hr tarmac sections, to muddy single track, FSRs, etc... This is where the 690 shines, as (it may not be "light", but) its VERY versatile. I've had zero issues with it, its easy to work on, and IMHO, its the best EFI on any KTM (smoother than my 2011 990).

offworlder screwed with this post 12-30-2011 at 06:49 PM
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
Kendrick
Enigma

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
Sounds like I need one of each, and a 530 !

(space and money unlimited, I would and a 300 too).

I have my 250 for tight technical nasty trail stuff. What I really am looking for is a bike that makes up for the Multi's complete lack of offroad capability. Something i can drive 200 miles on road, 30 miles on a jeep trail in a day.

What are the advantages to the SE-R over an Adventure R? Obviously better visibility, and a little ligher, what else?
do you drop your bike? SE seems easier to pick up and fairs a bit better when crashed. maybe not an issue if you're mostly riding road then jeep trails (although i seem to drop mine there too regardless, freaking thing is HEAVY). i know if i had an Adventure the body work would be thrashed by now.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
...And although the 950 can and will do amazing things, every once in a while, it reminds you that it is a 400+ pounds and almost 100hp; and those little reminders are often painful and expensive. She now fits the niche of my very-capable long-distance dual sport, rather than my do-anything bike...

^^^This^^^...

...is, really, all that needs to be said.

If that's not what you're lookin' for, than the 690 would be the better option.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
Ramv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrick View Post
do you drop your bike? SE seems easier to pick up and fairs a bit better when crashed. maybe not an issue if you're mostly riding road then jeep trails (although i seem to drop mine there too regardless, freaking thing is HEAVY). i know if i had an Adventure the body work would be thrashed by now.

The Ducati hasn't been down... yet! Every other one is on the ground. (including the VTR), it's just the nature of the sport.

I think long distance dual sport is what I am thinking... Unfortunately living in the burbs with 4 million of my closest friends within 60 miles, being able to escape at speed is critical. If every ride was backcountry Moab, I would never consider either the 690 or 950 or 990, straight for the 500 EXC, However, in order to stay gainfully employed, I suspect the big city wil be home for awhile.

Speaking of which some pictures from today in Moab:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752699

'07 Super Enduro 950

Ramv screwed with this post 12-30-2011 at 08:11 PM
Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
idahojoe
shut up and ride

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post

Something i can drive 200 miles on road, 30 miles on a jeep trail in a day.

This is a key statement. The Adventure, SE and 690 are all great bikes, but have slightly different specialities.

Either an Adventure or a SE would be my suggestion. The big twin motor at elevation should be considered. The wind protection of the Adventure would be nice for those "commutes" between the jeep trails. The SE will handle the single track trails inbetween the jeep trails inbetween the kick ass sections of pavement inbetween the single track and your house.

The SE can go just over 110-120 miles on a tank and the Adventure can go more.

Put one of dem der Rekluse clutches in in an SE and go places you take your 250. Put one in an Adventure and almost go there too.

The Adventure would be fun out east, on pavement, or on gravel. The SE likes the rocky unimproved two tracks and 65 MPH tarmac,I would think the 690 likes 65 MPH too, the Adventure tolerates 90 for well. They'll all go triple digits w/ease.

You can't loose, get one of 'em for that big distance "off road" exploration that's just up over the hill. (I would like to use cheerleader smilie)
78 R80/7
68 Maico 360
idahojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
dabracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
From what you are describing, the 950SE will not disappoint. I've had 2 990s and I was not happy off-road with them. Get a Safari tank, a few mods someone listed above and never look back. Most of the used 950SEs for sale have been modded with the needed stuff by now. Hard to find a completely stock one.
05 CRF 80
06 TTR 50
dabracing is offline   Reply With Quote