Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #31
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post

The 690 is WAY BETTER, "SMOOTHER", stronger & more fun than the vibrating 625/640

By the way, not all 625/640 engines vibrate with the same intensity. I've got a 640
that doesn't vibrate much. Engine vibration varies from one bike to another --
I used to own an early Duke which shook like the proverbial paint shaker, that thing
was just brutal. The difference between that Duke engine and the 640 engine with respect
to vibes is like night and day.

I wouldn't toss out the idea of a 625 just because some of them are shakers, because
some of them aren't that bad.
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #32
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
I raced all through college on the KLX (back when it was new). Canadian Hare Scrambles and cross country. Nasty deep mud, 2'+ tall logs, big boulders, many trails narrower then the bars, with stumps from seismic just above peg hieght. I can't say I was good at it, but finished every race. (much like my endurance mountain bike racing, slow but steady). I kind of like the theory riding the SE-R helps in training for smaller bikes.

I don't recall Poughkeepsie gulch being too bad, just the one big obstacle in the middle, but I know the KLX would be much more comfortable on that trail. Engineers and Cinammon Pass seem like good OC trails.
Funny you mention that.... I went from trail banging the SE to a 200 KTM 2-smoke in the same day Talk about training
Old 01-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #33
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Another tid-bit in regards to the 950 is that it's not for the timid. If you tend to hesitate before an obstacle, best to go for the little bike. The SE is like a mean tempered horse, you need to show it who's boss but every now and then it will try to throw you off
Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #34
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
I'm betting Ramv has made up his mind and will get a 950 SE.

So, congratulations in advance
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #35
Ramv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
I'm betting Ramv has made up his mind and will get a 950 SE.

So, congratulations in advance

Thanks all! I really enjoyed ALL the responeses! I actually am holding out until I find the right deal no matter the bike, but I sure like the input. Call me a forum junky!

I honestly am looking for a good deal on a 690 or 950 SE, but if I see a smoking deal on a Adv S or R, or a 530 EXC, I will likely go that direction just for the price. I am a little hesitant on the early LC4, just from the research I did on the Duke II when I bought the VTR.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #36
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahojoe View Post
Put one of dem der Rekluse clutches in an SE and go places you take your 250.
I concur with Idahojoe and the magic of a Rekluse. He's the reason *I* have a super enduro.

It replaced my XR650R & my 950 Adventure.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #37
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Thanks all! I really enjoyed ALL the responeses! I actually am holding out until I find the right deal no matter the bike, but I sure like the input. Call me a forum junky!

I honestly am looking for a good deal on a 690 or 950 SE, but if I see a smoking deal on a Adv S or R, or a 530 EXC, I will likely go that direction just for the price. I am a little hesitant on the early LC4, just from the research I did on the Duke II when I bought the VTR.

As your therapist, you just really want a KTM? Size doesn't matter, availability and price do?

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #38
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:

I can sell my 2009 690 R for a deal, it's got the RR tanks, Vortex ECU, new fuel pump, new plastics and the Highway dirt bikes hand guards.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #39
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Ok, take my opinion with a grain of salt since I don't own either bikes but I feel that a lighter bike (690) will take you many many more places in Colorado than a heavy bike will (990). I've ridden my dinky little Yamaha WR250R up and down I-70 and highways between Denver, Vail, Estes Park, Durango etc. and I can still easily pass 80% of cars on the highway. Sure a little more highway power would be very welcome, but there is not one instance where I would want a bike any heavier than the ~300lbs of the WR250R once I get off the main interstates and hit the forest roads or single track. Even if you're a world class rider you simply can't ignore the physics of a heavy bike and it will simply wear you out faster once you hit the dirt. There have been many times I would have taken a serious fall hadn't it been for the low weight of the WR250R because it's very easy to hold up. I can control a light bike in low speed and awkward situations, where as a heavy bike tends to control me. The massive HP's of the 990 would be awesome...but the times where I need a lighter weight bike easily outnumber the times I want more speed or power. Not to mention if you buy a 690 you'll still have enough cash leftover to buy new tires and a burger and brew at the end of the day FWIW / my $0.02

Luke308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #40
Ramv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
As your therapist, you just really want a KTM? Size doesn't matter, availability and price do?

I would take a TE 630 too. Don't see any twins competitive with the Katoom.

Truly, the more I read, the more undecided I am between the 690 and 950. So price and availability are key, size seocnd. I think the ADV would be a good bike, but need a lot of mods for me. the 500/530 seems like higher maintenance then I want.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #41
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke308 View Post
Ok, take my opinion with a grain of salt since I don't own either bikes but I feel that a lighter bike (690) will take you many many more places in Colorado than a heavy bike will (990). I've ridden my dinky little Yamaha WR250R up and down I-70 and highways between Denver, Vail, Estes Park, Durango etc. and I can still easily pass 80% of cars on the highway. Sure a little more highway power would be very welcome, but there is not one instance where I would want a bike any heavier than the ~300lbs of the WR250R once I get off the main interstates and hit the forest roads or single track. Even if you're a world class rider you simply can't ignore the physics of a heavy bike and it will simply wear you out faster once you hit the dirt. There have been many times I would have taken a serious fall hadn't it been for the low weight of the WR250R because it's very easy to hold up. I can control a light bike in low speed and awkward situations, where as a heavy bike tends to control me. The massive HP's of the 990 would be awesome...but the times where I need a lighter weight bike easily outnumber the times I want more speed or power. Not to mention if you buy a 690 you'll still have enough cash leftover to buy new tires and a burger and brew at the end of the day FWIW / my $0.02
Ride a 950 SE and then get back to me, it's a rule breaker If I'm buying a car, I get the economy version because cars suck and I really don't care. I ride for pleasure and I don't intend to be sensible when it comes to buying a motorcycle. I go with what moves me, not what will "do the job" I've ridden all through CO on my SE, including Italian creek, American Flag mountain and Timberline and it was the perfect bike for CO trail riding. I'm an average rider at best, but the SE gets the blood pumping and a smile is better than anything.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #42
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Ride a 950 SE and then get back to me ...
Also ride a 690.
Ride both bikes in as bad of place as you can find or will be ridden.

"IT" all depends on where Your bike will be ridden the most.

No Dual Sport bike made can replace the SMOOTHNESS, POWER or FUN
FACTOR the 950 SE offers Period.

BUT it's "super heavy" when your down in a creek & can't make it up a
Greasy Slick bank & you are all alone & CAN'T push it up & out.

I've been there lotsa times but I LOVE MY 950 SE

I can do 400+ mile days of 50/50 dual sporting on my 690 or 950 with
Stock seats jus fine (best two dual sport bikes made imho)

I simply choose which bike to take according to what terrain I'm heading too.

Ride both bikes before purchasing

Remember .... The 690 is ONLY 30lbs heavier than a
Little Underpowered KLX or WR250

Brown Dog screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 10:41 PM
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #43
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,619
Yep . . . . I agree with Brown Dog. I went from a 950A to 950SE because it was lighter with much better suspension. The 950A would handle 13,000 ft climbs in Colorado bone stock w/out any trouble. I'm looking forward to trying my SE this year. When in doubt . . . . gas it.

I am now thinking about adding a 690 for single trail riding . . . . mainly due to my 5' 11" size . . . . the SE is a tall bike

The SE is the best all-around bike I have ever owned/ridden . . . I'm guessing the 690 will be similar.

My 950A (Imogene Pass: Ouray, CO) . . . I felt like I was on top of the world:
'14 Wee2, Adventure Style, for the "Real World"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #44
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I can sell my 2009 690 R for a deal, it's got the RR tanks, Vortex ECU, new fuel pump, new plastics and the Highway dirt bikes hand guards.
Miles and Price?

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #45
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
I LOVE Colo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
... 13,000 ft climbs in Colorado bone stock w/out any trouble ...
My 950A (Imogene Pass: Ouray, CO) . . . I felt like I was on top of the world:
My 690 EFI was spot on UP there but the Elevation does Rob Horsepower

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote