Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #2446
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallye View Post
everybody seems to trhink because there is a fast hotshot ,he might make it into the' top 5'. Fact is there is a lot more to Dakar and being in the top 10 than just being able to fly on a couple of stages ,see how Coma ,Despres and 1 or 2 others are always around the 1-5 mark, others win a stage then post a 15th or worse ,they dont have the consistancty to stay up there. Last year Jacob Smith said in an interveiw he'd like to get into the top 5,then after the Dakar he realized how tough it is to be fast and safe and consistant,only a few guys in the world can do that ,and they will always be at the pointy end,it would be very rare that a rookie ever gets in the top 10.
it comes down to skill and the availability of a good realiable bike ,not just being able to turn the throttle.
W O R D

Hi Rob!

Do you reckon we can get that made into a bumper sticker...?

Probably won't sell a lot of them... but there's a few that could use one for the crossbar pad...

PS: F5 Flamers/n00bs note: the bumpersticker author is a rider who can run top dozen at most rallies about the place, and has a 30 placing (as a rookie) in the big show... 1 for 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #2447
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,334
So, who is left for Team Rally Panam? Ned, and who else?
Old 01-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #2448
mtrehy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
everybody seems to trhink because there is a fast hotshot ,he might make it into the' top 5'. Fact is there is a lot more to Dakar and being in the top 10 than just being able to fly on a couple of stages ,see how Coma ,Despres and 1 or 2 others are always around the 1-5 mark, others win a stage then post a 15th or worse ,they dont have the consistancty to stay up there. Last year Jacob Smith said in an interveiw he'd like to get into the top 5,then after the Dakar he realized how tough it is to be fast and safe and consistant,only a few guys in the world can do that ,and they will always be at the pointy end,it would be very rare that a rookie ever gets in the top 10.
it comes down to skill and the availability of a good realiable bike ,not just being able to turn the throttle.
it's a shame we won't find out this year.
mtrehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #2449
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrehy View Post
it's a shame we won't find out this year.
+1
Old 01-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #2450
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
In other words, you have to pace yourself.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #2451
ZequeArgentina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZequeArgentina View Post
Depends on the route chosen by organizers.
Been there to ride 3 times, and for Dakar 2010, and at midday with extreme heat the sand ets to soft.
They will do only 2 or 3 km, but may be not so easy.
Being short, they will do them without major problems
When some were supposing yesterday stage was going to be easy, I mentioned that having been there, with extreme heat those volcanic grey dunes becomes really hot. For your refference in 2010 with 10º cesiuis less (33º in stead of yesterday´s 45º) feet without racing boots were becoming so hot that people get on anyhing they can to avoid your feet so hot.

Regarding fuel, in refuelling stations ASO uses their own oil which Total brought from Europe, not local gas.
ZequeArgentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:05 AM   #2452
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

LEG THREE special stage in 10 minutes...

the day's route - stage 3

THE ANDES, REMINISCENT OF THE ATLAS MOUNTAINS

The Andes Cordillera, ever-present throughout the 2012 Dakar, is very demanding for the drivers. The crossing of rivers and the many holes and stones that the drivers will have to avoid during the day's special stage, will make the terrain particularly gruelling. The sturdiness of the engines will be put to the test if the drivers do not remain attentive. But the altitude and the reliefs provide both magnificent landscapes, with every shade of red possible, and small acrobatic challenges, such as a steep climb that the motorcyclists will defi nitely have to finish in first gear.

Distance
Car
Truck
Bike
Quad
connection
DistanceSchedule
291 km
291 km
291 km
291 km
07:48 - 12:13
10:08 - 14:48
06:00 - 10:10
06:00 - 10:10
special stage
DistanceSchedule
208 km
208 km
270 km
270 km
12:18 - 14:48
14:53 - 17:48
10:15 - 13:35
10:15 - 13:35

• Car/Truck

Map

<<>>
    • Car/Truck

<<>>
  • __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sleepy John
    "There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."

Quote:

Quote:
    "...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
    Old 01-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #2453
    Brodovitch
    Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
    thanks for the round up Troy, CP1 looks bang on the same with WP1, no?
    Old 01-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #2454
    Drif10
    Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,334
    205?

You?

Here, of all places?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post

The Andes Cordillera, ever-present throughout the 2012 Dakar, is very demanding for the drivers. The crossing of rivers and the many holes and stones that the drivers will have to avoid during the day's special stage, will make the terrain particularly gruelling. The sturdiness of the engines will be put to the test if the drivers do not remain attentive. But the altitude and the reliefs provide both magnificent landscapes, with every shade of red possible, and small acrobatic challenges, such as a steep climb that the motorcyclists will defi nitely have to finish in first gear.
    Old 01-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #2455
    Bluebull2007
    Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,938
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Laurent Lazard
    Via email
    “ESTOY MUY ENOJADO”

Venía realizando una muy buena carrera ya que desde el puesto 98 en que había largado había llegado a la posición 57 cuando recién estaban en la primera mitad de la segunda etapa del Rally Dakar 2012 Argentina-Chile-Perú, pero el piloto del equipo Moto Team by Elf, el uruguayo Laurent Lazard tuvo problemas eléctricos en su moto, lo que lo llevó a estar en una primera instancia una hora parado tratando de solucionar el problema y caer al puesto 108.

Luego, con la ayuda vía celular de su preparador, pudo solucionar el inconveniente en forma provisional ya que circulaba entre 10 a 15 kms y tenía que parar para que se enfriara la moto. Igual pudo subir algunos lugares para terminar en el puesto 108.

Tras su arribo, tuvo una muy fuerte conversación con su preparador ya que no está nada conforme con el rendimiento de la moto. Además no solamente él ha tenido problemas, sino que también otros que usan la misma moto han sufrido muchos inconvenientes.

“Estoy bastante molesto ya que la moto viene teniendo problemas que no debería de tener”, contaba el uruguayo Laurente Lazard. Luego agregaba “Tuve un problema eléctrico. Una lástima porque venía muy bien ya que había superado a varias motos. Solamente te puedo decir que en el control 1 estaba en la posición 75, en el 2 llegaba al lugar 60 y en el 3 pasaba a la posición 57, pero de golpe se para el motor y no quiere arrancar más. Logro comunicarme con mi asistencia, empecé a desenchufar todo según lo que me iban diciendo por medio del celular, así sacamos los electroventiladores, el apagador y por suerte arrancó, pero ya a esta altura había perdido una hora. Hice varios kilómetros, pasé las dunas y luego, como en esa parte la temperatura era extremadamente alta y al no andar los electroventiladores la moto se calentaba. Esto me obligaba a tener que parar para que se enfriara. Así hice todo lo que quedaba de la etapa”.

El uruguayo estaba muy decepcionado, por este motivo tuvo una charla con el preparador de la moto inmediatamente que arribó “La verdad que estoy muy molesto y por eso fui a conversar con el preparador. No lo hice muy amigablemente porque estas cosas no pueden pasar, estoy bastante enojado. La verdad que me había esforzado mucho para subir esas posiciones y cuando lo había logrado surgen estos problemas. Además el sector que venía después de las dunas es una parte que la conozco muy bien, la conozco de memoria y estaba seguro que ahí podía haber subido muchas posiciones más. Basta mirar la posición en que quedé en el Control 4 que era 128 y a pesar de tener que parar, igual pude subir hasta el 108”, finalizaba diciendo el piloto uruguayo Laurent Lazard integrante del Moto Team by Elf.email to fans

I am really angry
    He had been running a good race from position 98 miving up to 57 in the first stage, but in the 2nd stage the pilot of the Elf moto team experienced electrical problems with his bike and fell to position 108 yesterday.

Later with help via cell from his support team, he was able to get his bike cooled by circulation for 10-15Km (??) and was able to limp in in 108th position.

On his arrival he had a strong conversation with his mechanics because he was far from satisfied with the bikes performance. Furthermore others in the team experienced the same problems with their bikes.

"I am very angry as the bike came with problems that it should have had", commented Laurent Lazard. He later added "I had an electrical problem which is a pity because I was doing very well and passed several bikes, climbing to 70th at WP1, 60th at WP2 and 57th at WP3, but then suddenly the engine stopped and would not turn over. I got hold of the support team by phone and they took me through stripping of the fans etc. but by this point I had already lost an hour. I got going again but the bike overheated in the dunes and I had to stop to allow it to cool down in the very high temperatures. I eventually finished the stage."

The rider was very disapointed. "Truthfully I am furious and I had to talk to the team manager; I was not very friendly at all because of what had transpired, and the fact that I had worked so hard to climb in position before this happened. Moreover I am very comfortable in dunes and am sure I could have passed a lot more people." Laurent is running this year with Moto team Elf.
    Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #2456
    troy safari carpente
    Team f5ool

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
    As far as I can tell... Yes... WP 1 on the tracker appears same as CPs1 on the map... and WP2 coincide with CP2 Moto(fuel)

but check with Bluebull... he da' man...

Quote:

Quote:
    Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #2457
    troy safari carpente
    Team f5ool

Leg three

F5IRE IN THE HOLE...!!!

Quote:

Quote:
    Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #2458
    Brodovitch
    Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
    Any minute now...

Old 01-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #2459
    too old
    Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,356
    Quote:

Think Sam will develop beyond that, he is only 22 and a long way there - of course there is some refinement and development - but show us a true and better prospect. To be up there you need world class speed, without it not all the fast riders are going to crash out, so where are you?

Will try and let you know the true story if possible before the Dakar is over, but for now there is still an issue with the statement that he had to "quit due to time loss" - Sam never quits, the Aussies know that and if it was only time then as long as he made the liaison he should have been ok?
    too old is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #2460
    Bluebull2007
    Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,938
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
    Yes it is the same. In fact all the WP's on this stage are stamped CP's as well if im not mistaken
    Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote