ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #151
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer
 
outlaws justice's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Watertown NY
Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
You don't get it and that's fine. It's ok to never be wrong in a world of one but I have to believe for some of your students it's dangerous.
The Students learn in a closed course low speed safe environment. they learn techniques that help them corner better from line selection to better brake and throttle control and body position.

for some students the BRC is dangerous, and like that class we do not let students go to far. that is why it is a class with instructors to help people, not tell them never learn anything new.

What part do you not understand?
__________________
David
2005 KTM950 Adventure, 2007 BMW K1200GT, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1991 Honda VFR750, 2004 Honda CRF250X, 2000 Buell Blast................
outlaws justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #152
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer
 
outlaws justice's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Watertown NY
Oddometer: 971
__________________
David
2005 KTM950 Adventure, 2007 BMW K1200GT, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1991 Honda VFR750, 2004 Honda CRF250X, 2000 Buell Blast................
outlaws justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #153
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius
 
Ritalin Boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 5,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
The Students learn in a closed course low speed safe environment. they learn techniques that help them corner better from line selection to better brake and throttle control and body position.

for some students the BRC is dangerous, and like that class we do not let students go to far. that is why it is a class with instructors to help people, not tell them never learn anything new.

What part do you not understand?


I understand that if this guy tries to hammer the gap using the encouragement you gave him to hang off he'll be road pizza.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #154
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer
 
outlaws justice's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Watertown NY
Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post


I understand that if this guy tries to hammer the gap using the encouragement you gave him to hang off he'll be road pizza.
He will be a lot less likely to be road pizza than the guy who is crossing the center line into on coming traffic because he does not know how to pick a line or the guy who is dragging hard parts and leverages his bike because he gets into a decreasing radius turn and does not know how to maintain his line and is out of room and ground clearance because he does not know how to move his weight inside the bike..
__________________
David
2005 KTM950 Adventure, 2007 BMW K1200GT, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1991 Honda VFR750, 2004 Honda CRF250X, 2000 Buell Blast................
outlaws justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #155
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman
 
BUBB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: I'm here because I'm not all there.
Oddometer: 20,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by nulluser View Post
Don't underestimate a Goldwing with a skilled rider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONKR View Post
His commitment level is WAY higher than a equal rider on a more capable bike, and commitment is not what is needed on the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
ive seen this guy ride down there and chatted with him .
He's got some track time before the wing..
When its ingrained to corner a certain way you dont just turn it on and off.Doesnt really matter what bike.
What, if anything, ever happened to this guy? I may be imagining it, but I thought he wasn't/able to ride anymore.
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #156
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius
 
Ritalin Boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 5,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
He will be a lot less likely to be road pizza than the guy who is crossing the center line into on coming traffic because he does not know how to pick a line or the guy who is dragging hard parts and leverages his bike because he gets into a decreasing radius turn and does not know how to maintain his line and is out of room and ground clearance because he does not know how to move his weight inside the bike..

Hopefully he will be as invincible as the coach who encouraged the behavior that got him in trouble.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #157
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer
 
outlaws justice's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Watertown NY
Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Hopefully he will be as invincible as the coach who encouraged the behavior that got him in trouble.
Invincible?? That sounds more like you who already knows everything and does not believe in learning more or new things because you already know too much and any more might get you in trouble.............

I have been riding for almost 40 years now and am always looking for more to learn and to improve. after all if we do not learn and improve we are not doing anything to improve. Even people like Tiger woods has a coach. must be even the best realize there is room for improvement.
__________________
David
2005 KTM950 Adventure, 2007 BMW K1200GT, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1991 Honda VFR750, 2004 Honda CRF250X, 2000 Buell Blast................
outlaws justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #158
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Hopefully he will be as invincible as the coach who encouraged the behavior that got him in trouble.
People die every day because they are put into unexpected circumstances and don't know how to control their machines. For example, there are about a billion threads on here in face plan where people wad it due to coming in hot into a decreasing radius off ramp or corner or obstructed corner.

Things like that happen all the time and Total Control classes teach riders how to deal with these inevitable situations when the time comes. Lets face it, everyone makes a mistake on a ride eventually and some don't come out the other side. Knowledge is not power on the bike, it is the difference between life and death. I'd cite other examples where knowing how to take a bike to it's maximum have practical application outside of maintaining a high rate of speed but you seem to obtuse to grasp such simple concepts.

No one throws their leg over a bike for the first time and can ride tarmac like Rossi or throw down in the dirt like Barcia, but apparently you have the ego as if you do. There is always something to be learned whether it is from those more or less experienced than you.
__________________
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #159
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius
 
Ritalin Boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 5,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
People die every day because they are put into unexpected circumstances and don't know how to control their machines. For example, there are about a billion threads on here in face plan where people wad it due to coming in hot into a decreasing radius off ramp or corner or obstructed corner.

Things like that happen all the time and Total Control classes teach riders how to deal with these inevitable situations when the time comes. Lets face it, everyone makes a mistake on a ride eventually and some don't come out the other side. Knowledge is not power on the bike, it is the difference between life and death. I'd cite other examples where knowing how to take a bike to it's maximum have practical application outside of maintaining a high rate of speed but you seem to obtuse to grasp such simple concepts.

No one throws their leg over a bike for the first time and can ride tarmac like Rossi or throw down in the dirt like Barcia, but apparently you have the ego as if you do. There is always something to be learned whether it is from those more or less experienced than you.
I get all that. Are you an employee too?

OJ is just so damn pompous about it it's hard to resist popping his overinflated ego. He's likely a very skilled rider but apparently the adulation received as he passes out MSF completion cards isn't enough balm for his id.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #160
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
I get all that. Are you an employee too?

OJ is just so damn pompous about it it's hard to resist popping his overinflated ego. He's likely a very skilled rider but apparently the adulation received as he passes out MSF completion cards isn't enough balm for his id.
Nope, no affiliation with MSF and honestly I disagree with those who think everyone should take the courses. For some though they really are a good idea and there are others who should just stick to public transit.

Also I very much appreciate your stance, I just didn't pick up that you were trolling him specifically and not the principles of being able to control one's machine to the fullest even though in most circumstances it is inadvisable to do so.
__________________
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #161
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
"Total control" is a good thing to learn.

"Self control" is the better thing to use.

"a man's got to know his limitations" and the street isn't the place to find them.
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #162
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer
 
outlaws justice's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Watertown NY
Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
I get all that. Are you an employee too?

OJ is just so damn pompous about it it's hard to resist popping his overinflated ego. He's likely a very skilled rider but apparently the adulation received as he passes out MSF completion cards isn't enough balm for his id.
LMFAO

I work a full time job, and only teach a few weekends a year to help other riders, no other reason, maybe you should try it sometime. I very much enjoy helping people learn to ride or take their riding to the next level, some of the students are better riders and can ride faster than me, seems the only person that has an issue is you, so I am waiting for you to get off your high horse and donate some time to help other riders.
__________________
David
2005 KTM950 Adventure, 2007 BMW K1200GT, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1991 Honda VFR750, 2004 Honda CRF250X, 2000 Buell Blast................
outlaws justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #163
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer
 
outlaws justice's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Watertown NY
Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
I just didn't pick up that you were trolling him specifically and not the principles of being able to control one's machine to the fullest even though in most circumstances it is inadvisable to do so.
He likes to troll, just look at his post count, Seems he has nothing better to do. And also likes to follow me around like a lost puppy..... Must not be any better trolling he can do someplace else.
__________________
David
2005 KTM950 Adventure, 2007 BMW K1200GT, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1991 Honda VFR750, 2004 Honda CRF250X, 2000 Buell Blast................
outlaws justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #164
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
.................................................. ....

But this? This to me is just plain stupid.


I can see the point of a little movement on the street but I just don't get the idea of encouraging fat old men on heavy bikes to commit that hard to a turn on a public road. Oops there's and animal, now quick! Swerve or brake.

Rossi maybe but OJ will be telling stories of magic coyotes ending his ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post


I understand that if this guy tries to hammer the gap using the encouragement you gave him to hang off he'll be road pizza.
It would appear to me that you have little or no actual experience on twisty roads and most likely have never ridden Deals Gap. If you had, you would have noticed riders going real fast on high performance bikes, but most of them going fairly slow. You would have seen cruiser riders (fat old men on heavy bikes) going slow and holding up traffic. You would also have seen some people going fast on the most unlikely of bikes (like fat old men on heavy bikes)

It is quite possible that that guy on the V Strom above could go to Geals Gap ( or most other twisty roads) and outrun 95% ( or more) of the sport bikes there.

People with real experience on twisty roads know that the rider is much more important than the bike. Some people are naturally fast but most are that way because they decided to improve their skills.

Even if someone doesn't want to ride fast, improving ones riding skills is never a bad idea.

There is no shortage unskilled riders out there. I for one think it's great the outlaws justice is improving the skills of some of them.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #165
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer
 
kpt4321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Oddometer: 1,671
OJ, can you please post some more pictures of people riding slowly in a parking lot on shitty bikes? I'm very impressed by this, and I can't get enough.
__________________
TAT 2008 / Colorado 2010
"Both the man of science and the man of action live always at the edge of mystery, surrounded by it." -Oppenheimer
2007 Monster S2R / 2006 TE610 / 1999 KDX 200 / 2000 DRZ-E
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014