Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #226
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post

Sure, it looks really cool... until the knee in those jeans actually touches down!
The first time I ever touched my knee on the ground (HWY78 on Banner Grade heading to Julian) I was riding an 82' Katana and didn't even realize I had done it till we stopped in Julian and I felt something wet (blood) rolling down my pant leg. It melted a hole almost the diameter of a tennis ball in the knee of my jeans and took a few layer so skin off. Once I saw it, then it started to hurt! I went out and bought me some leathers right after that...
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #227
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596

[
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #228
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Is he^^^^ even riding it?

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #229
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post

[

I love this ppic, the look of confidence on his face and the duct tape knee puck. The bike is cool!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #230
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Not to mention he's doing it on The Vincent.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #231
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Love the suicide clutch...

Not really suicide... he's still got a front brake and the clutch looks like the standard rocker clutch mechanism... Anyway, he's riding with style for sure..
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #232
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Not really suicide... he's still got a front brake and the clutch looks like the standard rocker clutch mechanism... Anyway, he's riding with style for sure..

Suicide shifter is a common name for a motorcycle hand-shifter
Sometimes the shifter is referred to as a jockey shifter while the foot clutch is called a suicide clutch.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #233
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Suicide shifter is generally a spring loaded foot clutch/hand shifted on a bike w/o a front brake. That's an OEM rocker clutch. Of course it's open for debate.............2 pages max.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #234
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,531
Quote:

Suicide shifter is a common name for a motorcycle hand-shifter
Sometimes the shifter is referred to as a jockey shifter while the foot clutch is called a suicide clutch.

-------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Suicide shifter is generally a spring loaded foot clutch/hand shifted on a bike w/o a front brake. That's an OEM rocker clutch. Of course it's open for debate.............2 pages max.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #235
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post

Reference please.

If you are talking about this (Many early chopper builders/riders/Outlaw bikers also decided to remove the front brake.)

Suicide Shift - Suicide Clutch - An early-style gear shift mechanism. Unlike modern motorcycles, early motorcycles used a foot-actuated clutch and the gear shifting was done with the rider's hand via a long gear shift knob that was connected directly to the transmission (much like a manual transmission on a car). Because the rider had to remove one of his hands from the handlebars in order to shift - a dangerous prospect given that most of the thoroughfares of the day were rutted, unpaved dirt roads or brick and cobblestone streets - many people felt that motorcycle riders were literally "taking their lives into their own hands" … hence the term, "suicide shift".

TrashCan screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 09:20 AM
Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #236
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

"More technically, suicide clutch can refer to clutch controls lacking a detent on the foot clutch, which would otherwise allow the rider to lock the clutch in the disengaged position. Early foot-clutch motorcycles, such as those from Harley-Davidson and Indian, allowed the rider to lock the clutch foot pedal, so they could place both feet on the ground when stopped. If this device was disabled, or a custom foot clutch installed that had no detent, it was referred to as a "suicide clutch" because stopping the motorcycle in gear required the rider to keep his foot on the pedal. Should he lose his balance and put the left foot down, the motorcycle could lurch forward into cross traffic."

More technically... That's from wikipedia, the following is from an imperfect memory, if it doesn't fit this board I'll remove it...

As noted, that's a rocker clutch, Harley's rock forward to go, backward to stop. You step on a "suicide clutch" to disengage it. Simple.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #237
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:
"More technically, suicide clutch can refer to clutch controls lacking a detent on the foot clutch, which would otherwise allow the rider to lock the clutch in the disengaged position. Early foot-clutch motorcycles, such as those from Harley-Davidson and Indian, allowed the rider to lock the clutch foot pedal, so they could place both feet on the ground when stopped. If this device was disabled, or a custom foot clutch installed that had no detent, it was referred to as a "suicide clutch" because stopping the motorcycle in gear required the rider to keep his foot on the pedal. Should he lose his balance and put the left foot down, the motorcycle could lurch forward into cross traffic."

More technically... That's from wikipedia, the following is from an imperfect memory, if it doesn't fit this board I'll remove it...

As noted, that's a rocker clutch, Harley's rock forward to go, backward to stop. You step on a "suicide clutch" to disengage it. Simple.

Thanks, you took a long way around to agree with me.

You know we are both quoting the same source.

Where is your brake reference in order to make this a sucide clutch???

Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #238
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

" If this device was disabled, or a custom foot clutch installed that had no detent, it was referred to as a "suicide clutch" because stopping the motorcycle in gear required the rider to keep his foot on the pedal."

I still maintain a rocker clutch is not a suicide clutch...

I was aware that you were looking at the same wikipedia page. It also says this...

"The foot clutch comes in one of two configurations; either a rocker foot clutch which was stock on many early motorcycles, or a suicide foot clutch which was never available on production motorcycles but was manufactured by daring motorcycle enthusiasts."

The front brake thing comes from Anthony but back in the day if you ran a spool hub wheel on a hand shifted bike with suicide clutch you had problems stopping and starting on a grade. Take your foot off the clutch and it engages, take your foot off the brake and it rolls, that is what we called a suicide clutch cause if there was oncoming traffic you could be in for an exciting couple of seconds. Rocker clutches were a lot safer, just not as cool.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #239
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
I still maintain a rocker clutch is not a suicide clutch...
+1

A "suicide clutch" is a spring-loaded foot clutch.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #240
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
If I could only ride one road, this would be it...

http://www.cherohala.com/

This road has more changes in it than a teenage girl getting ready for a date.

Yes, I had more fun on that road than I did on the Dragon.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote