Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 311
I ran a $30 quader special open face from Rocky Mountain when the club wouldn't let me ride in a BMX helmet. Worked pretty well, but was hot. I do think the trials style is better protection, especially around the nape of your neck, and ears etc. Mine stick out aways so having them under the helmet is good.

I think mine is a Hebo, been pretty happy,

I have ridden in my full face dirt helmet when conditions warranted, and found it acceptable.Visibility is a bummer for really trialsin, but most trails are not difficult enough to really require the visibility when riding a trials bike. Point and shoot
Old 05-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #17
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,353
I was checking out this helmet... Any input is appreciated.

It is a GMax GM27 and appears to be well vented. It also comes with two different visors and a shield (not that I would use a shield for trials)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...27-Helmet.aspx

'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #18
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
I found this info online regarding the GMAX
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...et/gmax/gm-27/

while the cooling features look nice, its on the heavy side for trials. (1427 grams vs about 1000 or less for most good trials helmets) You might be able to remove the battery, LED's and controller and eliminate some of that though. Getting all that out of the top of the helmet is important as well as its a bad place to carry it.

I cant tell how high the back of the helmet is - but you want plenty of clearance against the back of your neck. That may be an issue here.

I would also want a quick release style buckle as I take my helmet off alot to stay cool.
laser17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #19
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post
I was checking out this helmet... Any input is appreciated.

It is a GMax GM27 and appears to be well vented. It also comes with two different visors and a shield (not that I would use a shield for trials)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...27-Helmet.aspx

That's the one I got . Seems to vent pretty well. I removed the cheek pads to make it a little cooler also. I never had a light trials helmet so it seems light to me compared to my other moto helmets.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_S2R1K View Post
I'd be happy if someone would make one that didn't make me look like a tall Great Gazoo.

Finndian, I had a Vega open face helmet that looked a lot like the Shiro open face. I threw away the old Vega, but used it for trials 'til I got the Shiro. I should have kept it, painted it green and put little antennae on the top.
Like this?

ridenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #21
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
Like this?

Too bad Shiro has quit making helmets for trials, who knows maybe they build some every couple of years...

Everyone is fooled though, IMHO by open face, they think they look so Gazoo-ey, but something about the chin bar does optical illusions... Graphics also help on this illusion, below is the plain old matrix, I have the red one. I just last year got a commander in white, ONLY difference was graphics.

Shiro's are undoubtedly the most Gazoo shaped ones, by all accounts especially my wife and kids who think they are so trendy/fasionable.. I have always lived and proclaimed though, that "whomever is holding up the 1st place trophy on top of the podium, LOOKS the best... Better than having some silly style and comming in dead last, LOL."

but I love the fact that I have bought 2 for still less than what a Hebo cost. They have removable liners which is nice for 2 day events as well, I have a clean helmet for sunday, lol
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
Jeff_S2R1K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
Like this?

That's it! I'm surprised nobody has done that yet, just for laughs.
Jeff_S2R1K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #23
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_S2R1K View Post
That's it! I'm surprised nobody has done that yet, just for laughs.
Oh Trust me, the kids wanted to put antennae on mine and paint it green for a long time now, fear of retribution I think, is the only things that have stoped it, LOL...

If I rode an ossa though, might been a different story as well... Hmmm...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

G-Max G27S...

Being the cheap azz that I am I went with the G-Max. I am pleasantly surprised at the build quality and I don't think the weight would be an issue at my riding level (Noobie)
I ordered a large based on fit of the G-Max full face dirt helmets my buddy had in stock at his shop but it was way large. Re-ordered in a medium which fits perfect.

Most on line catalogs show this helmet for 80 bucks... can't argue with that price.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
GEARHEAD9969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
That looks like a decent lid. I started riding trials with the typical full face moto lid then went to an azonic full face mountain bike helemt. I just bought a spada this spring. I wished I would have bought one when I started. It is amazing how much better you can see, breath and stay cooler than the full face helemets. I guess I had to learn the hard way. I still wear a moto lid for trail riding.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #26
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARHEAD9969 View Post
That looks like a decent lid. I started riding trials with the typical full face moto lid then went to an azonic full face mountain bike helemt. I just bought a spada this spring. I wished I would have bought one when I started. It is amazing how much better you can see, breath and stay cooler than the full face helemets. I guess I had to learn the hard way. I still wear a moto lid for trail riding.
A street bike crash in '81 two weeks after I bought my first full face helmet convinced me full face is the way to go but the added visibility and slow speeds of trials allowed me to bend my rules a bit. Did not want to go the bicycle helmet route and then get to a vintage event and get DQed for non approved equipment and have to fall back on my regular dirt helmet without practicing in it.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #27
Macke22
Trials Rider

Oddometer: 35
Thumb

Hi, if you are looking for a nice overall helmet i would like to show you what i am currently riding with. Its a 2012 model NAU helmet.

http://www.cambstrialscentre.com/helmets.htm

White one a bit down on the page.

Really confortable, good looking, good price and light weight.

Thumbs up for that one!

/ Marcus, Swedish Trials Rider
Macke22 is offline   Reply With Quote