Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #166
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,214
I am a huge Road King fan as well. I will Hot Rod a Road King one day. Probably stripped down, laced wheels, all black with chrome bits to balance it out.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #167
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,022
The RK makes a great two-up LD tourer.

And takes just a couple minutes to strip down to a solo runabout.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #168
CrownVic55
CrownVic55

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
It had buckhorns, forwards, stock exhaust, stock air cleaner and a TALL sissy bar with cheapo thro'over bags mounted under the seat... sigh... at least the suspenders were unmolested. as soon as I rolled it into the garage I started pulling crap off and throwing it into the burn pile...

Road Kings are really nice retro road burners... you've got a great ride there Crownvic... my wife loves that big fat back seat. (even tho her seat certainly isn't big or fat... nor is mrs crownvics as far as I can tell, not that I'm checking out your wife's butt or anything.... er... ;-) Nice scenic pic there Vic, where was it taken?
I think this pic is one of the Swiss passes on Route 2 or 19 headed south on our way during a 12 day trip to St Tropez. Not sure though.

My wife is not tiny but small. As you can see thes Small size Busa's she is wearing (great gear) look kind of big on her as a result. The HD Low profile seat is plenty wide and padded.

The Road King was a champ and had plenty of HP at all altitudes. We have been 10 days to Corsica and we were all over their narrow and not so maintained roads two up with the Road King. I think its the best of both worlds. Not a Enduro bike but nimble enough to take on any somewhat improved and curvy road. Plus I just like the look and feel of a Cruiser that does not have all the big fairing and hard boxes all over. You can add that stuff and also take it off to cruz around town.
Another thing is that the gear you see on the bike is all we bring and we camp about 90% of the time. So it's got enough bag room to go the distance. We travel pretty light though. Curling iron not included. Great Bike for us.

Crownvic
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #169
CrownVic55
CrownVic55

Oddometer: 122
I like I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The RK makes a great two-up LD tourer.

And takes just a couple minutes to strip down to a solo runabout.
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #170
Daddyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
[QUOTE=woodnbow;17661049]... you've got a great ride there Crownvic... my wife loves that big fat back seat. (even tho her seat certainly isn't big or fat... nor is mrs crownvics as far as I can tell, not that I'm checking out your wife's butt or anything.... er... ;-) QUOTE]

Nice save. For a minute there it looked like you were getting into it.

DO
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #171
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
You have one of the 6 FXRs in the country that haven't been lowered.

Quote:
For those who asked, I sold the Dyna Glide a few years ago. I liked it a lot, but I really missed my '89 FXR so I started looking, wife wasn't thrilled by the news cause she loved that Dyna... This is my current ride a '93 FXRS-CON. it's been warmed over a little bit, mostly carb work, air cleaner and exhaust along with an Andrews EV46 cam and fresh lifters last year. Rear shocks were replaced with Progressive 418's and the fronts now have Progressive springs although I'll likely replace them with XL1200S forks when I tear into the heads this winter... BTW, the bike in original condition with less than 12000 miles cost me less than $5500.00 There are deals out there to be had!

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #172
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 563
This has turned into an interesting thread...

I got involved in the "anti Harley" thread, and I'd like to get involved with this one.

UH-OH!!!

Seriously, I do like the look of a RK with beach bars, and a big tractor seat (kind of 50s era I guess). But there is that mantra behind Harley riders, just like sport bike riders, BMW riders, etc. It's that way what ever you ride.

Long story short, ride what makes you happy. Who gives a f*** what anyone else thinks!
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #173
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 563
Oh, and my MegaMoto puts out 273.4 hp at the wheel after a simple air filter change. So my rooster is bigger than yours!!!
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #174
long4daroad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm not a Harley fan at all, but I decided to give one a try because of the low maintenance and huge aftermarket network. After 3 years and 50 000 kms, I love my '08 Road King more every trip, in spite of the fact that it says "Harley Davidson" on the tank instead of Triumph. Most of my other bikes have been faster and cheaper, but this one fits me perfectly and it just feels right in the mountains of British Columbia. My buddy has an '09, and it's supposed to be better in the corners (mine ain't rock solid, I'll admit), but I can't really notice much difference, to tell the truth. Somehow this is the first bike that I don't ever want to get rid of. I've been surprised just how much I like so many of the little things about this bike. The one exception is keeping all that damn chrome clean! My wife's denim black 883 Iron is a way smarter color scheme!
long4daroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #175
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
If you are in Las Vegas and get bored the local H-D dealer has a huge rental fleet with most any model H-D makes.I rented a street glide there and did a 200 miles ride on it in january 3 years ago.Motorcycles are tools in a tool box-you buy the best 1 for what you will use it for.The big v-twin has some kind of soul to the noise it makes-not like a jap i-4.And i own a jap i-4 bike.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #176
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
You have one of the 6 FXRs in the country that haven't been lowered.
I think my 13.5 Progressives are really a half inch taller than stock!

I may sell my Sportster Sport and buy another FXR to strip and build as an "FXRster" spoked 18"s front and rear, maybe Ulyssess forks with XL1200S rear shocks and a warmed over 80" motor... I do like the Sportster but I LOVE FXR's!
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #177
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
I think my 13.5 Progressives are really a half inch taller than stock!

I may sell my Sportster Sport and buy another FXR to strip and build as an "FXRster" spoked 18"s front and rear, maybe Ulyssess forks with XL1200S rear shocks and a warmed over 80" motor... I do like the Sportster but I LOVE FXR's!
FXRs are awesome bikes, if you can find one that hasn't been screwed up.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #178
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
there's load of them available everywhere. all flavors and colors, the price spectrum is as wide as the selection spectrum.
service is available everywhere. the dealer will let you test ride. the aftermarket is HUGE. in most places except here, harley is a respected ride.
I like my fxdf (aka Fat Bob) a lot.
Clint Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #179
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
FXRs are awesome bikes, if you can find one that hasn't been screwed up.
Yeah, it's tough when you find the stretched and raked bikes. Not much you can do to undo that, well YOU might be able to but my abilities don't go that far.

My next one can be dirty, missing parts or whatever since I mostly want an unmolested frame, engine, transmission, sheet metal and a good wiring harness. I'll handle the rest.. Oh yeah and make it '89-2000 vintage. Other than that I'm not fussy!
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #180
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Had one and one time in my life it was enough!
Nothing wrong with the engine, except it is slow and low (however you want to interpret), too much scraping on twisties, not enough turning radius, riding range was a joke, and do not forget, your vocabulary will expand exponentially when you use the front brakes.

Everyone should own a harley once in their lifetime.
It is a good bike for the ones that likes them.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote