Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #31
Tilter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
I love Harley's. I have had several; inc,using my favorite bike of all time, my 2007 road king custom.

But unless I got a truly ludicrous deal on a used one that someone else had already dumped thousands into upgrading I would never buy one again.

Why? Price vs. performance. It takes those thousands just to get the bike to be able to compete with competing cruisers. I have a 2009 Yamaha stratoliner s now and if i don't look at the logos it feels just like my king. Except it cost me $7100 in November with 6000 miles on it. I got it because I wanted a cruiser to go WITH my moto guzzi griso and cost less. If I were going to go with only one bike though I'd probably splurge a wee bit - a Triumph Thunderbird. Blows away the road king in every way except one - that Harley "mystique". But triumph has its own rep and mystique, unlike the Japanese cruisers, so I think it would satisfy all needs. If you want a basic cruiser get the big bore thunderbird storm. Or you can get the touring model and pay a tiny bit to have the big bore kit put on. Tons of customizing, although nothing can touch the hd there. Best part is the price. You can get a nice regular model, say a 2010 with almost no miles for around $10,000. Add a thousand if you want the storm. BMW of Pittsburgh has a beautiful tbird listed for $10,500. I'm sure right now they would drop that price as they have had it since summer. I would buy a storm, and add on what I wanted. On and triumph has one of the better forums out there www.triumphrat.net.
Tilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #32
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
While I don't have a Harley, (Honda Shadow Aero) they are great bikes. I'd go one further in suggesting that if your local Harley dealer does rentals, rent one for a few days so you can see if the bike really fits for your riding needs.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #33
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Have owned several HDs, and liked most of them. But make sure a bike that looks comfortable really is. Yes, the advice to test ride or even rent is sound. I found my E-Glide to be surprisingly uncomfortable on long trips. The seat looked and felt great, but I couldn't really move around as much as I wanted. They are really well made bikes. But as others have pointed out, not the only bikes out there.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #34
pauljr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I bought my first one in 2010 after 45 years of wanting one (FXD Super Glide) and loved it for 14,000 miles, great bike but I could not resist wanting to go down every dirt road I passed so it went away to be replaced by a R1200GS this week coming. I threw $1500 at the suspension but it just is not up to bad roads IMHO. Depends on what you are looking to do with it, my wife was sad to see it go by the way and would not have minded if I had replaced it with a Road King which I considered quite seriously.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #35
douglasgraham
This is my car

Oddometer: 298
HD's are great if thats the ride your looking for. It sounds like it is. Ive owned them, raced them and they have been in my family since the 60's but they are not for me. I like something a little lighter and easy to work on and I dont ride two up but if I did I woud sure concider a HD for the same reasons you are. Go for it and like one of the other posters said never look back and ride the crap out of it.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #36
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 306
The Harley touring models (as well as the Switchback) meet a lot of what you described you're after: 2-up comfort, low to the ground, and good aftermarket support.

I added the FLHX to the garage because my wife just wasn't comfortable on the FJR to enjoy riding with me for more than an hour. We hunted for 2 years for a used touring model that we were willing to buy, and tried out several. Pre-'09 models felt wishy-washy to me in corners. The Road King was more flickable to me, but I didn't like the gauges mounted low on the tank. The Ultra was comfortable but noticeably heavier to me. We ended up with the '09 FLHX, backrest, 10.75" VStream windshield, and Sundowner seat. The stock seat was not comfortable for either of us.

Hindsight being what it is, I often think I should have gotten either an Ultra or a Road Glide Ultra. The Street Glide has a lot of buffeting to deal with above 45 mph. Much of it is coming from under the tank. I imagine lowers will eventually get added, along with a 14" VStream windshield. Passenger floorboards will eventually get added - and they are not inexpensive ($380 for matching "Streamliners"!). Adding a tour pack like I want is going to cost a bunch (tour pack, mounting hardware, backrest, lights, speakers, lights, etc...), but so far we have not needed it, and hope to get by without it. The spoked wheels on this bike are tubed and hard to inflate with the cage of spokes around the valve stem, and I'm always wishing I had tubeless mags. The suspension on the Street Glide is 1" shorter than other touring models, and although I keep the rear shocks air'd up for our weight/cargo, I often think of getting a suspension that is a little taller and more comfortable. So if I add all those "wants" up, I see that I've basically got an Ultra that I'm interested in. Oh well -- this one is what we were after, we got a fair deal on a garage queen, and my wife and daughters love going for rides with me. I didn't know I'd enjoy it as much as I do. It's a really fun bike to take out on the road. The cruise control is sweet! It's fun listening to some tunes or a ball game while taking in the country roads. The paint color isn't my first choice (big purple metal flake), but it's not like all the rest of the bikes out there, and you might be able to use that to negotiate a lower price .

So go try them out, have some fun, ask questions like you're doing, and enjoy the time you and your wife have together on the bike. Also recommend seeing the Ride Like a Pro series, adding Pat Hahn's book, and lots of parking lot practice to whichever model you end up with!

'fooz

harfooz screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 11:16 AM Reason: Added phrase about Sundowner seat
harfooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #37
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,827
Ride what lights you up.

This one lit me up to the point that I know there will be another one.

Enjoy.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #38
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Thank you for self-identifying and putting your stupidity into words. That's one helluva public service.
No doubt. Always nice when someone willingly confirms their idiocy. Now when I see his name I can just skip the post.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #39
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo99 View Post
I want to start by saying this is a great forum, filled with helpful people!

I never thought I'd be thinking about buying a Harley davidson, but here I am. I'm looking for a bike that will be comfortable for 2up weekend trips, low to the ground ( I'm 5'8" with a 30 in inseam) good value for money, and good aftermarket support.

I'm looking at large frame HD's like an Electra glide or road king. Iv sat on several, they seem spatious but heavy and a bit clumsy for low speed ridding- should I be concerned about this? I commute 2hours a day on the interstate that would be my mane use for the bike.

My current ride is an 09 versys, even with a lowering kit it is too tall for me and the wife refuses to ride with me for this reason. On long trips the versys feels cramped in the leg area, that's what I'm trying to get away from with a cruiser. I'm not looking for an extreme amount of power, but at least what I have with my versys.

Anyone want to talk me into or out of a Harley?

Fly out to Portland in the Spring... I'll pick you up at the Airport, put you up for the night at the Oxford Suites and pick up the tab for your first service at the dealership of your choice as you make your way back East.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #40
cbr1000dude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Harley

I'll start by saying that I've never owned a Harley(all my bikes have been Japanese), but I've ridden quite a few in my 50 years of riding. My brother and best friend both ride Harleys, so I've lead or followed one for 1000s of miles. So why after all this exposure to HD have I never purchased one? Money?, no. Lifestyle, no. Apparently I just don't "get it"according to HD riders. I just don't want one no matter how hard I try. I just don't like them. To me, they are boring, ugly, slow,overpriced, old fashioned parade bikes. Most of their owners around here are low life, loud mouthed drunkards.who seem intent on going deaf asap. Not the bikes's fault of course, but this is an additional turn off to the brand. The dealers and salesmen there are another turn off, they have a condescending superior attitude that is as annoying as it is misinformed. The parts guys are plain rude. The cashiers are pretty young girls who know nothing and don't know how to sell. The low priced accessories (made overseas) are the only reason I ever go to a dealer anymore. I get all my tires and other gear at Cycle Gear, where everyone (including the ladies) are informed and helpful.
So even though I'm personally acquainted with many HD riders who don't fit the ugly mold I described, I can't bring myself to buy a bike that has such a negative image on top of poor performance for so much money. I've spent much more on my Corvettes and boats, so I do buy costly toys, just not ones that would make me feel stupid.IMHO.
cbr1000dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #41
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast View Post
I like Harleys, but had a Vulcan and I can say the vulcan will gve you the same ride for way less cash.

Just saying, Harleys are nice but you can get the same ride and better reliability with a Kawasaki Vulcan

You don't actually believe this do you?

Old 01-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #42
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Oddometer: 54
RENT RENT RENT.....consider the cost as an investment in satisfaction. Nothing worse than getting a new bike off the lot and then finding you don't like the lack of wind protection, vibration, extended leg position or engine heat from sitting over the rear cylinder/exhaust. I've had 3 different Harley models over the years, and the GoldWing I sold yesterday was the best of them all....far & away.
Trans4ormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #43
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000dude View Post
The dealers and salesmen there are another turn off, they have a condescending superior attitude that is as annoying as it is misinformed. The parts guys are plain rude. The cashiers are pretty young girls who know nothing and don't know how to sell.
Not sure where you live as you didn't fill out your profile... But Please PM me and come visit a proper HD store where the Parts guys (and Gal) are knowledgeable and nice... Where the the Pretty girls in the Apparel department know their Product (HD branded or no) and are extremely helpful and where the sales and service staff actually ride. Triumph’s, BMW's Kawasaki's, Suzuki's, Buell’s.... Real riders that don't give you "attitude" are not "annoying" and would get fired if they "misinformed" a customer.

Sorry for you bad experiences. Not saying you would or even should buy a Harley as they are not for everyone. Just another nice option that get better each year in a plethora of bikes offered up. Triumph will be added to out line-up by the end of February as well.

Don't buy a thing. Just come in and let's go out for a ride. PM me.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #44
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000dude View Post
So even though I'm personally acquainted with many HD riders who don't fit the ugly mold I described, I can't bring myself to buy a bike that has such a negative image on top of poor performance for so much money. I've spent much more on my Corvettes and boats, so I do buy costly toys, just not ones that would make me feel stupid.IMHO.
So wait, you own a Corvette and (I'm assuming) a powerboat, and you're concerned about image and feeling stupid if you buy a Harley?

Really?
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #45
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondsflat View Post
Buy a Victory..

Watch the series of Vids made by Arizona Victory here (they also sell harleys too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkFPUeNUqc

after a few minutes its quite clear Harley is obselete
More bullshit.

We took in a Vision just yesterday. It rides like shit compared to an FLHTK. It does have a lot of nice features... I just wish they would tone down the Space Aged ugliness a bit.

Also the Bike that was bought for $25+k a few years back is now worth less than $10k. A comparable Harley of the same year is still worth $17K

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 05:15 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote