Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #46
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans4ormer View Post
RENT RENT RENT.....consider the cost as an investment in satisfaction. Nothing worse than getting a new bike off the lot and then finding you don't like the lack of wind protection, vibration, extended leg position or engine heat from sitting over the rear cylinder/exhaust. I've had 3 different Harley models over the years, and the GoldWing I sold yesterday was the best of them all....far & away.
X2

I bought my Road King in 2008 knowing that was the bike I wanted. That summer I switched off with a friend who had an older street glide, he wanted to do a motor comparison. I decided I needed a radio, so I bought a front fairing. $1600. Next summer I went on a few camping trips and started wanting a tour pack. Found one on craigslist, around $500 when it was all said and done and it still needs painted. Next I decided I wanted surround sound, so I bought tour pack pods and speakers. Probably another $500 or so.

I basically built an ultra the expensive way, short of the lowers. I'll probably end up with a set of the fabric lowers that snap on the crash bar one day. The Harley solid ones are expensive, over $1000 IIRC. The tour pack would have been $1500 if purchased from Harley. Mine is an electra glide take-off, the guy didn't like it.

Also something to keep in mind is that a Street Glide is a lowered electra glide classic with stuff taken off, and about the same price. It's cheaper to unbolt stuff you don't like from an electra glide than it is to buy stuff to bolt on your street glide.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #47
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000dude View Post
I'll start by saying that I've never owned a Harley(all my bikes have been Japanese), but I've ridden quite a few in my 50 years of riding. My brother and best friend both ride Harleys, so I've lead or followed one for 1000s of miles. So why after all this exposure to HD have I never purchased one? Money?, no. Lifestyle, no. Apparently I just don't "get it"according to HD riders. I just don't want one no matter how hard I try. I just don't like them. To me, they are boring, ugly, slow,overpriced, old fashioned parade bikes. Most of their owners around here are low life, loud mouthed drunkards.who seem intent on going deaf asap. Not the bikes's fault of course, but this is an additional turn off to the brand. The dealers and salesmen there are another turn off, they have a condescending superior attitude that is as annoying as it is misinformed. The parts guys are plain rude. The cashiers are pretty young girls who know nothing and don't know how to sell. The low priced accessories (made overseas) are the only reason I ever go to a dealer anymore. I get all my tires and other gear at Cycle Gear, where everyone (including the ladies) are informed and helpful.
So even though I'm personally acquainted with many HD riders who don't fit the ugly mold I described, I can't bring myself to buy a bike that has such a negative image on top of poor performance for so much money. I've spent much more on my Corvettes and boats, so I do buy costly toys, just not ones that would make me feel stupid.IMHO.
Ignore function, subscribe to thread, recommend HD demos / rentals,
to ensure fit / comfort before purchase...

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #48
Dragan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
What they all said. I've ridden for over 40 years and never owned a Harley until two years ago. Now, I don't think I'll ever own anything else. My wife likes it more than she liked the Gold Wing ( and she REALLY liked the Wing...more than I did, and I liked it a lot). They're great for eating up miles and there's just something about them...

Rent one, then go put down the deposit...
Dragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #49
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
More bullshit.

We took in a Vision just yesterday. It rides like shit compared to an FLHTK. It does have a lot of nice features... I just with they would tone down the Space Aged ugliness a bit.

Also the Bike that was bought for $25+k a few years back is now worth less than $10k. A comparable Harley of the same year is still worth $17K
This is a big resaon I can't justify a Victory. I don't think of bikes as an investment, but I don't want to take it in the shorts either. At least I know I can sell a Harley if I decide to later.

I like the Vision , but would buy a Cross Country of all the new Victory's.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #50
hobo99 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I don't care about living the lifestyle, I want form function, and reliability. It also helps to have good strong resale value if I decide to get rid of the bike at some point in time. The Japanese manufacturers simply don't offer all of those things for me.

I'm also looking at buying used, not new. And an 07+ model for the 6th gear. Some people say you don't need 6th, but I have ridden 2soft tails- one with 5 and 1 with 6 gears and I like the 6th gear much better for extended high speed road cruising.
hobo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #51
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo99 View Post
...I want form function, and reliability. It also helps to have good strong resale value if I decide to get rid of the bike at some point in time...

You just described an H-D...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #52
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,896
I'm 5'8" tall and I have a 29" inseam.
I ride an XR650l and R100GS and a V-Strom 650, all stock height bikes.

Regardless of what bike you get I'd recommend taking some kind of slow speed riding course to increase your confidence and skills at slow speeds. Personally I like trials course and course that use the same training concepts that motor officers use.

As for HD I really enjoy the time I've spent on Road Kings, and Dyna's
The Switchblade, is an interesting concept, much lighter then a RK, but far more touring ready then most Dyna's
Lighter, lower and decent handling, coupled with bags and a screen.

I don't like the culture that surrounds most HD. So I sold my Dyna and bought the V-strom.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #53
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
This is a big resaon I can't justify a Victory. I don't think of bikes as an investment, but I don't want to take it in the shorts either. At least I know I can sell a Harley if I decide to later.

I like the Vision , but would buy a Cross Country of all the new Victory's.
I'm sure my Cross Roads will depreciate faster than a H-D. I'll accept that.My Tiger's value dropped like a rock too. I just couldn't accept that a basically dressed up Dyna is worth 16.5k. That being said, I wouldn't have paid that for my Victory either.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #54
thatdirtykid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
I can't sell you on any particular touring model, but I do love me some harley. The simplicity of a push-rod motor. Reliability has been good. The maintence is almost non existant (although you have 2 or 3 different oils to change depending on model) No valve checks, no chain to oil. Back to the simplicity of the pushrod motor even a young back yard mechanic like myself feels comfortable tearing into one. I have owned a dyna super and a built 883r (still for sale, but not what the op is looking for), I also have a bit of seat time on a Geezer Glide. My dad had 100k miles on a late 90s electra glide, and now I believe he has well over 100k on a twin cam electra glide. Now (after I pointed out his chances of getting on a good new buell was ending a couple years ago) he has 20k on a buell uly. (including denver to maine with my mom on the back) He is looking for road king to replace the aged electra glide for two up touring.

thatdirtykid screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 12:55 PM
thatdirtykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #55
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Love this thread! Nothing brings out the action like a HD thread. it's like going to a hockey game. Fight fight fight!!

I'm with everyone here who says rent/demo all the flavors before riding. I put long times in the saddle with an Eglide, Road King before deciding on a Road Glide Ultra. Took me a minute on the road to know the Road Glide was for me. Just felt right...and sportier than the others. (A relative term, that "sporty"). HD dealers are really generous with test rides, and Eagle Rider rents various type of Harleys.

And I suggest this: Spend a few hours getting acclimated to the bike, then show up at home with it and take the wifey for a nice long ride. Order up sunshine, nice temps. Go on a trip. Bring all sorts of extra gear in the bags. See how she likes it.

On my Ultra, it's got a sweet stereo with the controls on the back seat and speakers on the rear. Wife likes that. She likes listening to girlie music turned up loud. The top box has a big comfortable backrest, like a Wing, that really makes her feel secure. I ride super mellow -- I've yet to meet a woman that likes wheelies and dragging hard bits (as if you coudl wheelie a Road GLide.., but still)

My wife did not like riding on motorcycles for years, period. A versys is a cool bike, love to have one, but the back seat sucks for a passenger. My guess is after a few miles on a HD bagger your lady will be asking you to go on some trips.

Cakeeater

Oh yeah, don't dump the bike when she's on it
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #56
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,291
Only 350 miles on the clock and love it....cruising at 85-90 feels like floating on air.

Put the 13" shocks that come on the Road Glide Ultra, Hog Tunes Speakers, Khrome Werks +2" Sweeeper bars, V-Stream Windshield, and will add a Corbin seat soon.

A New Year's Day photo taken at a rural boat ramp a couple miles down a dirt road.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #57
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
You want a Harley? Get one. It is your money, they are good bikes, reliable, etc. They won't hang wit most anything else but if you don't give a crap about that, what does it matter. Get what you want and enjoy.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #58
9secondsflat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
exactly what parts of the vid series is "bullshit" its facts and sometimes the truth hurts...as for your one single example...look on craigs list...harleys are like cockeroaches...a dime a dozen street glides, road kings that are but a few years old are asking 10-12k and are sold for less...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
More bullshit.

We took in a Vision just yesterday. It rides like shit compared to an FLHTK. It does have a lot of nice features... I just with they would tone down the Space Aged ugliness a bit.

Also the Bike that was bought for $25+k a few years back is now worth less than $10k. A comparable Harley of the same year is still worth $17K
9secondsflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #59
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
If you have the money an ultra will easily work for what you want. One thing I would think about is if you commute an hour to work every day you are really going to rack up the miles and kill your resale value. A Harley with higher mileage is hard to sell now with so many low mile used ones around. If that doesn't bother you go for it but you did mention resale. I would think a better option would be to go buy a pretty little ultra to have for traveling, tooling around town and what not, and to pick up a decent low cost wing from the 80's early 90's and use that as your work transportation.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #60
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post

I've yet to meet a woman that likes wheelies and dragging hard bits (as if you could wheelie a Road GLide.., but still)

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote