User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #76
MiltonHog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Thanks Gadget Boy,

I hate seeing these threads turn into a dog fight but seems the juveniles insist on turning anything about Harleys into a crappy mess.

To bad but seems the way.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #77
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondsflat View Post
look on craigs list...harleys are like cockeroaches...a dime a dozen street glides, road kings that are but a few years old are asking 10-12k and are sold for less...
Dealer gave me $10,750 on trade for a 6 year old Street Glide with 35K miles. It's now sitting on his floor with a sticker of $14,995. I suspect it will sell for about $12,900. Not too bad considering it's 6 years old and I paid around $17.5 in 06 when I bought it.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #78
Shastarider
Head and Eyes

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo99 View Post
I want to start by saying this is a great forum, filled with helpful people!

I'm looking at large frame HD's like an Electra glide or road king. Iv sat on several, they seem spatious but heavy and a bit clumsy for low speed ridding- should I be concerned about this? I commute 2hours a day on the interstate that would be my mane use for the bike.

Anyone want to talk me into or out of a Harley?
I think I can give you some food for though....I ride a Tiger 1050 and work on an Electra Glide. Some things jumped out at my in your original post. I can tell you that the Electra Glide may feel heavy when you are moving it with your feet, but under power and during slow speed it is not clumsy at all. The weight of the bike is very manageable.

The weight is held low to the ground which is a plus. I have no trouble turning in 18' circles riding "standard", side saddle or with one hand. Will you ever need to or want to do that, probably not but that gives you an idea on the maneuverability of the E-Glide. So if anyone ever tells you they do not turn well or are clumsy simply do not know what they are talking about. I saw a guy at Infineon during a track day in the "B" group putting the shame to many a sport bike on his E-Glide. A good rider will make any bike perform. In the case of the HD's a good rider will be able to find the performance limits of the HD pretty quick. It is fun to make a "slow" bike go fast and turn tight!

The E-Glide is a totally different ride from your Kawi in all respects but that is a good thing (spice of life). I love my Tiger and would like to have both in the garage for personal use. I have taken the E-Glide on some spirited rides in the twisties just to see if it could put a smile on my face and they can. Certainly not like the Tiger or your Kawi but fun none the less for the street. For your commute, it would be the bomb.

I have been on one Road King and they do feel lighter up front due to not having the bat wing. Get the 103 motor at a minimum. If you go used go 2009 or newer due to the upgrades that were made. Go with a 2010 and up if you really want to turn tight. If you do go with the HD here is a good saftey tip especially for bikes with bags.....As soon as the bike is moving get your feet on the floor boards immediately. If not, you may get your foot caught under the bag at which point you will be "removed" from the bike at a minimum.

In the end everyone needs at least 6 bikes in their garage to cover the full spectrum!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #79
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondsflat View Post
just a fyi my XC makes 138/135 at the rear tire all motor, no bottle, no juice, no turbo, ..does not need freshening up like the harleys do, does not leak, does not break down, gets 55 mpg on the highway and eats wanna be bikers like you who adorn themselfs with skulls, cheap leathers, ten dollar helmets all day long....
Not sure what "wanna be biker” you are talking to in your idiotic diatribe. Certainly not me as I am in no way a Biker or a wanna be… I am a rider that likes to shine light on the "my bike is better than your bike" crap that gets posted in these forums... but you make me laugh.

Please post up your dyno charts of your Mythical 138/135 rear wheel hp of your stock Victory.
Also please be honest about your mileage. (an average of just over 40 is believable) Just over 50 is doable on both HD and Victory on a long straight highway but not the norm.

Truth:

The familiar air/oil-cooled Freedom 106-cubic-inch V-Twin, which in a recent test Measured at the rear wheel, Victory's mill cranked out 77.5 peak horsepower at 5250 rpm Torque, too, is substantial, twisting out 88.9 ft-lb at 4250 rpm.

Keep playing the fool if you like... It is good entertainment.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #80
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Nice numbers!

Is that stock out the box?

Would be real interested in seeing your dyno graph.
NO! Made up like everything else he is posting.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #81
cbr1000dude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
There is a reason they are called 1%'rs They make up about 1%
Your juvinial and idiotic assertion:

Is COMPLETE bullshit. Or is it some new math they teach in school now that makes a small percentage a majority?

You are a fool and a troll and should go play in the basement.
Name calling is the last refuge of children in the play yard when they can't think of anything to say.
So 99% of the HD riders in your area don't ride to bars to drink on the weekend? I guess the SF Bay Area is the exception, along with most of N. Calif. I wonder where they are all going.........probably church socials to drink lemonade. I don't know how I could have made such an idiotic and juvinial assumption. Thanks for correcting me. It must be great to live in such fine company. I should move there.
Don't take all this so seriously.............it's not cancer or war, just a discussion about motorcycles.
cbr1000dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #82
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,948
Focus, people.

Quote:
I want to start by saying this is a great forum, filled with helpful people!

I never thought I'd be thinking about buying a Harley davidson, but here I am. I'm looking for a bike that will be comfortable for 2up weekend trips, low to the ground ( I'm 5'8" with a 30 in inseam) good value for money, and good aftermarket support.

I'm looking at large frame HD's like an Electra glide or road king. Iv sat on several, they seem spatious but heavy and a bit clumsy for low speed ridding- should I be concerned about this? I commute 2hours a day on the interstate that would be my mane use for the bike.

My current ride is an 09 versys, even with a lowering kit it is too tall for me and the wife refuses to ride with me for this reason. On long trips the versys feels cramped in the leg area, that's what I'm trying to get away from with a cruiser. I'm not looking for an extreme amount of power, but at least what I have with my versys.

Anyone want to talk me into or out of a Harley?

Following this thread with great interest as we've been thinking about a road burner. The 'Wing didn't do it for us. (Friend let us take his out for a long ride.) HD may. Just not sure I'm ready to stop wandering down the dirt 'roads' the GS let's us explore with ease.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #83
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000dude View Post
Name calling is the last refuge of children in the play yard when they can't think of anything to say..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000dude View Post
I suppose you are upset because I pointed out that low lifes, criminals and drunks ride most of the HDs around here, a statement that is really not in dispute to me. Sorry if this doesn't fit your image of reality..
My work is done here.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 07:47 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #84
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Focus, people.

Following this thread with great interest as we've been thinking about a road burner. The 'Wing didn't do it for us. (Friend let us take his out for a long ride.) HD may. Just not sure I'm ready to stop wandering down the dirt 'roads' the GS let's us explore with ease.

Dirt roads are zero problem for Harleys. The low center of gravity and abundant torque just off throttle are ideal for negotiating low traction dirt roads. After all, most roads were dirt for Harley's first 60 years or so and I'm not afraid to take ours on sand or dirt as you're much less likely to drop it than you would your typical GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Hey, this is ADVrider, where facts are not real important.
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #85
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
I don't care about living the lifestyle, I want form function, and reliability. It also helps to have good strong resale value if I decide to get rid of the bike at some point in time. The Japanese manufacturers simply don't offer all of those things for me.

I'm also looking at buying used, not new. And an 07+ model for the 6th gear. Some people say you don't need 6th, but I have ridden 2soft tails- one with 5 and 1 with 6 gears and I like the 6th gear much better for extended high speed road cruising.
The 6th gear was a dramatic improvement on my 07 vs my 97 FLHT, along with the 96CU injected vs 88 carbed. As mentioned earlier, it gobbles up highway miles, and with the engine doing its low rpm thrum, can be a relaxing ride.
Just do it; if you don't like it, sell it and do something else. Their value is pretty stable.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #86
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
NO! Made up like everything else he is posting.
Exactly what I thought as well.

Figured rather than just call BS off the bat, I'd politely ask to see his proof.

Still waiting.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #87
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

The new touring frame is on the 2009 and newer FLHR, FLHRC, FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLTRU, FLTRX and FHX. Some swear by it. Others not so much. What it does offer (among other things) is greater ground clearance which can indeed come in hand while riding the twisty bits.

ABS has been an option since ’08’ on the touring bikes and is Standard on a few models. There are many bikes I would NOT want ABS on… Harley Touring bikes are NOT on that list. Get the ABS, It works well.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #88
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
This is what you can do with a Road King in five minutes.

to this

to this

In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #89
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
This is what you can do with a Road King in five minutes.

to this

to this

Nice bike! And this is from an Ape rider.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #90
9secondsflat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
this is the one of the pulls after the 116 build

9secondsflat is offline   Reply With Quote