Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
andy mac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
On Sunday 15 Jan GT & I are doing a Waiarapa gravel ride to test his extra fuel capacity prior to the Dusty Butt.
All welcome, departing The Bach Martinborough Square 10am, via Glendhu, Admiral Hill, Flat Point, Kaiwhata Rd to Riversdale. 320km return
andy mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy mac View Post
On Sunday 15 Jan GT & I are doing a Waiarapa gravel ride to test his extra fuel capacity prior to the Dusty Butt.
All welcome, departing The Bach Martinborough Square 10am, via Glendhu, Admiral Hill, Flat Point, Kaiwhata Rd to Riversdale. 320km return
I'm a possibly maybe

a compliation of Wellington Adventure Rideouts

Old 01-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #18
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Yeah, this's how we roll....

bart-nz screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 01:31 AM
bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #19
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,688
That KLR seems to have continual problems with its VSC (vertical stability control) unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart-nz View Post
Yeah, this's how we roll....

Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #20
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
That KLR seems to have continual problems with its VSC (vertical stability control) unit
its not the VSC its the IHH (Idiot Holding Handlebars) that gives all the problems
Old 01-15-2012, 02:34 AM   #21
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,103
I'm wondering if Yamaha will accept a late warranty claim on GT's TT250. I suspect that this wasn't the greatest end to the Dusty Butt shakedown...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #22
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Ouch
Old 01-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #23
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT View Post
I'm wondering if Yamaha will accept a late warranty claim on GT's TT250. I suspect that this wasn't the greatest end to the Dusty Butt shakedown...
I hope it wasnt the result of an impact?
Arent they on the ferry earlyish this week?

better here than on the DB I suppose...
Old 01-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #24
andy mac
Adventurer

Unfortunately GT collided with a car on a blind corner at low speed on a gravel road. As he went over the handlebars, the barkbuster clamps ripped chunks from his thighs and cracked his tibia. They operated last night and put 4 pins into his lower knee bone. This morning he reports no pain or is that great painkillers?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #25
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy mac View Post
This morning he reports no pain or is that great painkillers?
In my experience it will be the Pain killers for sure! Glad hes ok...ish! Broken metal is easily fixed in comparison to broken riders but ironicaly both are fixed with more metal
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #26
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Dusty Butt pre-ride

Wind was an issue for the entire ride, though it was mostly fine. I anticipated that the Rimutakas would be interesting. I latched on behind a group of cruisers, on the basis that it was better they were guinea pigs than I. They had ‘interesting riding styles. Strange to say the worst moment on the trip over the Rimutakas & back was at the new portions at Muldoon’s corner, where the wind was hitting the new cuttings. On the way back I got blown across to the road. Nothing oncoming, & I knew I had the gravel to ride onto if I needed any avoiding action, but still…

The ride was to be a shakedown ride to assist Andy Mac & GT ensure that there were no niggly issues on the bikes for the trip down to the Dusty Butt. We were in Martinborough at 10.00am, at ‘the Bach’ (formerly Toppy’s). GT was carrying extra fuel ‘just in case’ – not actually needed as I had over fuelled the tanker to cover that contingency. But first, coffee…

After that slight delay, we rode down to Glendhu station, to Pahaoa River mouth – the road there was full of pee gravel & dust with the consistency of talcum powder - no real traction. Photos by Andy Mac

No beach access, except via the River Mouth. We came, we saw, we didn’t investigate too much further.

Given that was a dead end we rode back to ride back out to Moeraki Rd, to ride Summerhill Rd & Admirals Rd. Before the first gate the road was blocked with a treefall. Fortunately the boys were already there with their chainsaws, dealing to it. Andy & GT chipped in to give a hand, & the way was soon clear. No foldaway pruning saws required.

Across to grab the road out to Flat Point. Awesome sealed road, with a tail wind assist. The usual suspects on the road though. Photo by Andy Mac

Once it turned to gravel, things went downhill. It had only recently been graded, & the wheel tracks had not yet been re-established, so it was quite skatey. Andy claimed to be enjoying the drifts. On the BMW – not so much.

We crested the last hill with views down to the coast, and Andy stopped for a photo opportunity. GT & I continued on, GT leading the way. Regrettably only a couple of corners later he cut a blind right hander too far out into the right side, & met a 4WD full of commercial fishermen coming the other way. He reacted to the 4WD too late, hit the brakes & swerved to the left. He’d likely have dropped the bike, but hit the right front of the 4WD. It was like a bomb going off – the bike, GT, & the gear he had strapped on the bike going in all directions. He was lucky I didn’t run him or the bike over – I wasn’t far behind..

He apparently went over the handlebars, but caught his thighs on the bark busters & took a couple of divots out of the muscle. Surprisingly, that injury seemed to self cauterize. It also turns out he also cracked his tibia (though that didn’t become apparent until the hospital), & he is now sporting some pins in his kneecap. He was calm, conscious & coherent, but not in a hurry to get up.

The guys in the 4WD took charge of the site – I zipped off to find a landline to call an ambulance at a station, 5 or so kms down the road. There was no cellphone coverage where we were.. Unfortunately there was no one home – the place as locked up & there was a very worrisome dog making it clear I wasn’t welcome.

So I had to backtrack 4 or so kms, & rode to Flat Point, were I was finally able to locate someone with a landline. I later found out that Steve is an Alaskan salmon fisherman, who has semi retired here. He was able to call for an Ambulance. I am sure we clearly described the circumstance, but obviously they only heard 4WD vs. bike, so sent the Westpac Rescue Helicopter. So GT got a chopper ride.

The pick up was interesting, given the windy conditions, and a certain lack of suitable landing sites. They kept the helicopter spooling, given the wind gusts. So, guys, better donate, you never know if you’ll need their services. Photo by Andy Mac.

Andy rode GT’s bike back to Steve’s place – an interesting exercise with a split triple clamp, buckled wheel, and modified controls.

That sort of took a chunk of time out of the day. We had a cup of coffee with Steve, then talked to the nice policeman who came along to chat to us. Then we toddled off to the Gladstone pub for a cold one, & I braved the Rimutakas on the way back home.

Guess GT will miss the Dusty Butt then.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 04:50 PM Reason: Spelling
Old 01-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #27
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Shit. What a bugger. Heal up quick GT.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #28
andy mac
Adventurer

Nice report Nutso
Old 01-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #29
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 442
I'm currently stuck in the Hutt with no motorbike - in lieu of an actual adventure ride, I will be riding my bicycle to the pub tomorrow (Tuesday).
You are all welcome to join me (even if you drive a car there ) - 7ish at the Parrot and Jigger (Hutt Rd).
Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #30
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie! View Post
You are all welcome to join me (even if you drive a car there ) - 7ish at the Parrot and Jigger (Hutt Rd).
Mandy & I will toddle down.