ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,215
Advice wanted

We're looking to fly in to Boston late September, hire a car and drive about for a week or so in the north east US.

Anywhere we shouldn't miss at that time of year?

I also want to buy a Klim jacket plus possibly some other offroad riding gear - can anyone recommend a decent retailer who stocks a decent range of Klim gear?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,119
Plenty of historic stuff to see around that area; really depends on what you like.

The leaves will probably be past their prime in the New England states if Fall colors are your thing; and if you get down to Philly, Revzilla is a great place to check out some Klim wear.

Enjoy.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
De Oppresso Liber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
You'll be a coming to New England during a great time of year.... if Mother Nature decides to be kind to you, you'll have clear sunny skies with a crisp, cool morning, warming up nicely to the sixties and maybe even low 70's. Bring warm clothes, it can get very cool that time of year (and possibly wet).

Will you be staying in one location and just doing day trips or will you be traveling and staying wherever the night finds you?

Depending on what you would like to see, there are no lack of options in New England. You could spend one day or one week just in Boston alone, depending on what it is that you like to do. The city is full of history and my favorite thing to do is walk the Freedom Trail - a red line of bricks that meanders through the city to all of the historic sites such as Paul Revere's home, the North end church, the Boston Harbor with the USS Constitution, the Granary burial ground where Ben Franklin, Samuel Adams, the victims of the Boston Massacre are located, just to name a few. If you'd want to walk it, it's a great time, just pick up a map of the freedom trail at one of the kiosks located throughout the city. A great place to start is by taking the T (our subway system) to the stop at Park Street. This is where the Boston Common is and you could get one of the maps right there at street level when you come up the stairs to exit the subway. If you do decide to walk, make sue you bring adequate foot gear that is comfortable because you'll be walking most of the day! (Driving in Boston sucks, I don't give a shit what anyone says!!) If you're traveling with family or kids who wouldn't be up for such an adventure, another great way to see the city would be to take one of the famous Duck Boat tours.
If you are looking to see other cool historic places, the next stop I'd recommend would be going to Salem, the home of the witch trials. Or, if you'd rather see the rural, scenic side of New England, get the heck out of Boston! In fact, get the heck out of Massachusetts! Head north, young man!
The seacoast of Maine is beautiful, I'd recommend Route 1 heading north from Cape Neddick (see the Nubble lighthouse)up through York, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport (stop at Allison's restaurant for lunch- great clam chowder!! and then take Ocean View Drive to see the Bush compund at Walker's Point) to Portland. Other than that stretch, the only other great seacoast place to go that doesn't look like just the rest of the coast would be Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor.
If you want to visit the best part of New Hampshire, you have to head to the White Mountains! Depending on weather, Mt Washington is really cool to drive up. If you want a great place to stay and eat if you go to the White Mountains, the Woodstock Inn Station & Brewery is an excellent choice. From there, you could take Rt 112, the Kancamagus Highway over from Lincoln towards Conway. I'd also recommend driving Bear Notch Road that branches off of the Kanc before you get to Conway and get onto Rt 302. From there, head west and you can go see the Mt Washington hotel... a must see if you're in the White Mountains.
You could head to the Green Mountains of Vermont from there. Rt 100 is a beautiful, scenic drive that runs north to south (or vice versa ) that is a very popular drive and is one I enjoy very much.
The Adirondacks and Catskill mountains of upstate New York is very pretty, but might be a bit of a stretch to get to if time/distance is an issue.

Other things to bear in mind is that there may be, scratch that, WILL be probably moderate traffic from the leaf peepers on the weekends, but I wouldn't let that sway into your decision making. Just know that and sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride! Late September can also bring with it the possibility of strong storms in the form of heavy rains, strong winds and the occasional hurricane.... again, nothing that would prevent me from making any plans. You can never tell what the weather is going to do here, but either way, it's something to see and not miss out on!

Hope this helps at least to give you a good starting off point! I'm sure other fellow ADV'ers will be along to add in some things... we're a good bunch like that!

Cheers!
CJ
'05 TTR 250
De Oppresso Liber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Just north of Boston are few coastal towns worth seeing. Marblehead, just past Lynn and Gloucester further up the coast. Also Cape Cod, south of Boston.

Colors should be changing late in September, early October, so NH and VT might be good choices.
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post

I also want to buy a Klim jacket plus possibly some other offroad riding gear - can anyone recommend a decent retailer who stocks a decent range of Klim gear?
Good advice on the sites to see above. If you're up for some ADV-style exploring, you could probably manage the Puppy Dog Trail in a rental car . Do a little search here, but it's a route laid out over mostly dirt roads from the Massachusetts border through the backroads and mountains of Vermont up to the Canadian border. Would be an epic drive in a rental car. Make sure you do a ride report

We have a few dealers that stock riding gear, but no "amazing" motorcycle shop for gear in the Boston area, unfortunately. If you're planning on staying in a hotel and have advance reservations, one you could do to take advantage of our cheaper taxes and prices would be to purchase online and have your order shipped to the hotel. Most hotels will revieve and hold a package for you if you've made arrangements ahead of time. revzilla.com, motorcyclesuperstore.com and motorcyclegear.com are a few of my favs. They all have excellent customer service, too, that could arrange the shipping. Elsewise, you could have things shipped to one of us that are local and just stop by and pick 'em up while you're here.
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,215
Thanks for all the replies, all very useful.

The date is not set in stone, nor is the itinerarary. I'd thought about ordering Klim gear in advance but would prefer to try before buying. Once I know exactly where we'll be going and when, I'll contact some of the retailers mentioned above to confirm they've got what I'm after in my size.

Thanks again.