Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Oddometer: 166
Wicked WOW! Straight lines never felt so good (my first 10ft caught on camera)

OKAY- i just had just about the BEST experience of my life today! My bike in my signature that I've put 90+ hours into is running (albeit needing a carb tune) and I took it out for my first 'ride' ever. Soooo Here's a timeline: I put on my helmet, gloves, and jacket as precaution regardless of speed- and got on my bike. I put it into first and found out where the clutch engaged and where the throttle should be to not stall. I did this for about 20 minutes repeating until I had it down to muscle memory and so I would DEFINITELY NOT let go of the clutch if i freaked out for some reason- I got it down to kill switch and brake/clutch pulled down. OK so I walk me bike down the hill (having to break a bit the whole way was the thing weighs 600lbs lol) to a completely straight and very wide road - I continued my exercises lengthening the the time i had the clutch out by ~150% each successive go. Finally I knew i had it down and knew i only had to hit about 15mph to remain upright I had my first straight line run for about .125 miles- and made a uturn waddling with the clutch in and went another round after re-situating. By this time the utter fear of death which my mother plastered to my brain started to ease a bit and I could genuinely operate and enjoy the bike! I opened the throttle a bit to get to around 20mph and it was a tiny bit jerky (carbs STILL need tuning) but it rode REALLY well. My mom came out to tell me it was too loud and that I would annoy the neighbors (my dad later said that Hondas were the only things that might be quiet enough for her and that i was fine) ANYWAYS--- I'm pumped to get my license and get on the road. I think I might take a few more straight lines tomorrow during the day so that people shouldn't be so bothered (I CANT hear it idleing while I'm on the other side of a wall from it, I CAN hear it faintly at about 3k- and the pops from running lean are kinda audible. Sooo I'll be posting a bit update once i get my phone cable on my signature build, just thought i had to slam this down as a pure success! Yay for not being a youtube fatality!

Little known to me, my pop was recording XD- My nephew is the one on the bicycle.
(video removed)

Yes yes I stalled twice- I didn't want to give it throttle because I was nervous. Then I gave it throttle on try 3 and stopped a bit hard. This is my non-graceful very first try. My second was the actual ride about 10 minutes later when i was calmer. Being nervous is no good!

Reista screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 10:17 PM
Reista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,320
Do you have MC safety training?

Glad you feel like playing it safe.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,413
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Do you have MC safety training?

Glad you feel like playing it safe.
Not yet- but I most definitely need to get a feel for the GS because it's much different than the 250's that the shops use and If i can learn to corner at a much slower pace in my neighborhood (pretty much the boonies lol) before I have my license I think i'll be a better drive than wanting to be out on more public streets and not knowing how to corner perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
Eek? Give me a little more credit lol It's much better to have too little throttle when first learning than too much! about 5 minutes after that video I was righting straight just fine at 10mph.
--------------------

It must be noted that I WILL NOT be going out of the very back roads of a secluded neighborhood without my license- I'm not a blundering idiot lol and I don't plan on using my bike until I have it under 100% control in normal use. Also the gear i'm wearing isn't suited for faster speeds in my opinion either, I've got a full set of gear lined up to be purchased, it's just a matter of getting the paychecks in XD Until then i'll be maxing at 20mph, staying in first gear, and just enjoying learning how to ride the GS and taking note of my problem areas so I can bring them up in class. (After all, isn't that better? once you finish the class you have NO IDEA how your own bike handles, and that's a big portion of control is it not? I could very much be wrong on this or getting my little 2 minute rides, but i've not seen any bad come of it and I know the penalties if I DO screw up big time.)

*it also must be noted that my tachometer has no cable at the moment so I don't have rpms for reference starts. I can only go by sound and throttle feel. I get my cable tomorrow though so it's a problem no more!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,947
Telephone call for Mister Darwin........Mister Darwin,telephone call........

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Good luck with that.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
I think darwin awards is pushing it a bit lol besides, its irrelevant now, im getting my license in 7 days and nit riding even arpund the neighborhood until.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
Unlike UK, safety training is not mandatory in most of the US, and there is no stepped licensing. For example, here in VT, you go and take a relatively simplistic written exam, which takes perhaps 15 minutes, and can legally ride away. No night ops, no passengers, and you can't leave the state. There is practically no enforcement, however, and I know more than a few people that have taken very long multi-state tours on a permit.

This isn't a recommendation, just a statement. Reista stated in other posts that MSF training is on the agenda.

Glad to see it's running. Run a few tanks of fuel through the carbs before screwing with them too much. They tend to improve with running after a long vacation. They always pop and gag when the bike is cold, in my experience, and the GS850 is notoriously slow to warm up. Your two minute rides won't do it.

Congrats. Be careful.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
viper522
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I was scared my first time, too. It helps to remember that your hands do all the important work (steering, braking, accelerating). Keep your feet away from the ground, lest you snag on something and tear one off. Recommend footwear that covers the ankles - they're soft and fleshy and find their way into hard parts if you aren't familiar. More speed brings more stability (but makes the parked cars 'move' faster). Eight years, one MSF course, several track days, and four bikes later I'm still improving.
viper522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Everybody has to start somewhere. Keep practicing. I picked up a dakar last January a week after finding this site. I had never ridden and trailered the bike home. I practiced in the school lot a block away for a month until i felt comfortable enough to leave my neighborhood. I put 7000k mile on this year mostly dirt and mountain/ canyon roads and am headed to baja in April. Keep practicing , ride safely and muscle memory wont happen in 30 minutes.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,663

ok, if this is not a joke, I will be the dick in this thread.

Listen to your mother. If you are that afraid to ride and have obviously no natural riding skills, take a professional riding course. Do not take the bike to go to the classes. Drive a 4 wheeled vehicle.

When I started reading this thread, it was looking like a good fake thread on some motorcycle web site. It made me shudder in horror.

If it is real, park the bike. I am not even joking a little bit. if it took you 20 minutes of pulling in the clutch just to be able to move the bike, within 5 minutes you will encounter a situation on the road that could cost you your life and you better know how to handle it without thinking.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post

ok, if this is not a joke, I will be the dick in this thread.

Listen to your mother. If you are that afraid to ride and have obviously no natural riding skills, take a professional riding course. Do not take the bike to go to the classes. Drive a 4 wheeled vehicle.

When I started reading this thread, it was looking like a good fake thread on some motorcycle web site. It made me shudder in horror.

If it is real, park the bike. I am not even joking a little bit. if it took you 20 minutes of pulling in the clutch just to be able to move the bike, within 5 minutes you will encounter a situation on the road that could cost you your life and you better know how to handle it without thinking.
I know that, i never went on roads being used and never had the intent. The clutch was being adjusted as well so it added a lot to that time. Regardless, im still getting my course this weekend and still not riding. I don sew why there's so much hostility for trying out a bike for a bit in a very cautious manner. Yes i had no training, yes it is much more dangerous to operate it without one, but don't stick me on the 'it's dangerous' line because we all ride dangerous machines, period. I did compound the danger by being a n00b, yes, but I was n00b with at least SOME idea of what I needed to do, and was in a very good environment for a beginner. If you want to avoid danger 100% then live in an enclosed bomb shelter underground. I had a good idea of how to operate the bike, i was not going for showing off or speed. I MERELY wanted to try my first bike out for a few, one that i got running ahead of schedule which is why i don't have my msf course done, and one i put 100+ hours in working on it. What is so wrong with seeing if it moves at 15mph in the boonies of suburbia? Am i just incapable of understanding something I'm missing?

Reista screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 12:29 PM Reason: Sorry about the typos, i was on mobile with a dirty touch screen!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Hell yea! Forget the nancies. Hell yea you deserve an around-the-block stroll after putting in that much time. Nobody hopped on a bike and rode like a stud their first time riding. The older you are when you start, the harder it is too. I say continue to practice 1st gear. Then go out and rock the MSF course. Then hit the open road.
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
viper522
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Some people will jump right on something they've never experienced, twist the throttle, drop the clutch, and start riding one-handed circle wheelies until the sun goes down. Kudos to them. But it's not so natural for everyone.
viper522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,663
ok, it is a joke. you got me, I totally believed you at first. Carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reista View Post
I know that, i never went on roads being used and never had the intent. The clutch was being adjusted as well so it added a lot to that time. Regardless, im still getting my course this weekend and still not riding. I don sew why there's so much hostility for trying out a bike for a bit in a very cautious manner. Yes i had no training, yes it is much more dangerous to operate it without one, but don't stick me on the 'it's dangerous' line because we all ride dangerous machines, period. I did compound the danger by being a n00b, yes, but I was n00b with at least SOME idea of what I needed to do, and was in a very good environment for a beginner. If you want to avoid danger 100% then live in an enclosed bomb shelter underground. I had a good idea of how to operate the bike, i was not going for showing off or speed. I MERELY wanted to try my first bike out for a few, one that i got running ahead of schedule which is why i don't have my msf course done, and one i put 100+ hours in working on it. What is so wrong with seeing if it moves at 15mph in the boonies of suburbia? Am i just incapable of understanding something I'm missing?
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote